Check your account email address ×

have trucks gotten too tall?

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

I really hate that seat shaker thing gm puts in the seats it the most annoying fucking thing. It always seems to be the middle aged moms that got that crap cranked all the way up 

My Denali and my new truck both have those.  It's the first thing I disable in the infotainment system settings.  Set the alert to beeps instead of seat buzzes.

The auto brakes on the new truck are a bit annoying.  If you're on any incline at all when you park, it auto-sets the parking brake.  It will release if you touch the gas, but the Allison transmission in this truck has a strong lockup at idle and the truck lurches forward 5 feet before you get get your foot back to the brake pedal.  Really fucking annoying when hitching up my boat in my flat garage with my truck on my inclined driveway.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Did the same years ago. Rented a convertible Mustang. Never get tired of the drive through the keys.

After this years' cruise we rented a place on Key Largo for the week. As nice as the drive is, being able to take a day and explore them in good shape is better.

When I do it again I think I will pick something closer to the middle of the chain...

20230121_170436.thumb.jpg.1ba3e7b11d9668bc8843d106fc7b468f.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

My Denali and my new truck both have those.  It's the first thing I disable in the infotainment system settings.  Set the alert to beeps instead of seat buzzes.

The auto brakes on the new truck are a bit annoying.  If you're on any incline at all when you park, it auto-sets the parking brake.  It will release if you touch the gas, but the Allison transmission in this truck has a strong lockup at idle and the truck lurches forward 5 feet before you get get your foot back to the brake pedal.  Really fucking annoying when hitching up my boat in my flat garage with my truck on my inclined driveway.

Autobrake on the X5 is off by default. I always use it though, it is slick as dog snot, not as you described.

As an aside, on a hill, it will start to roll as if it was a DSC, never understood that.....

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, Snake said:

Autobrake on the X5 is off by default. I always use it though, it is slick as dog snot, not as you described.

As an aside, on a hill, it will start to roll as if it was a DSC, never understood that.....

My new 350 has auto brake. I'd have to agree with your assessment. 

11 minutes ago, Snake said:

Maybe mine's not working correctly.  I think it's supposed to turn off when taking it out of park.  Doesn't seem to work that way on my 2024.  They changed a ton of the electrical architecture in this new model year.  Probably need a firmware flash on the BCM...

• Gold Member
26 minutes ago, Matt said:

You can’t disable it?

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

since most of us here are over 50... I had someone describe those seats as 'vibrating beds straight out of a seedy hotel in the 1970's' 

Damn...seriously? I aint there yet but still remember the vibrating beds  :lol: 

11 hours ago, Mainecat said:

This crap started years ago. It’s fuckin stupid. I have owned Chevys and Fords since the 70’s and easy bed access from the sides was the norm. The high sides started mid, late 90’s.  I’m 6’4” and it’s a hard reach.

Are you 215lbs like trump?

I have been looking for a new pickup lately and it is awful.  I want something smaller this time and I can"t for the life of me understand why a Ford Ranger and Chevy whatever they call it have bed sides as high as my full size Ram....Why? If you want to pick something out of your bed and are not Larry Bird than there are few choices.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I have been looking for a new pickup lately and it is awful.  I want something smaller this time and I can"t for the life of me understand why a Ford Ranger and Chevy whatever they call it have bed sides as high as my full size Ram....Why? If you want to pick something out of your bed and are not Larry Bird than there are few choices.

hate to say it but look at Nissan and Toyota Asians are short

• Gold Member
48 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I know it’s not a “real” truck but maybe look at the maverick. I was up in the air about them but the parts place we use got one and I was impressed so I put an order in for one month and half ago. The only shitty thing is dealer said it could take up to a year to receive it due to demand.

Yea so I narrowed it down to 3  the Toyota Honda and Nissan.   I am not comfortable in the Toyota in a 23 and in 24 they are going all high sides and 4 banger like the rest. The Honda is a weird thing as it is great at almost everything,quit, good on gas, comfortable like a car. For me I am leaning towards the Nissan as it is most likely the trucks I am used to.

2 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I'm not a fan of automatic running boards, but that's what I've got with my Denali.  And I will say this much, the kick button to extend them back towards the rear wheels & being able to stand on the running board to reach into the bed of the truck is the cat's meow.  Freaking sweet feature!!  Now, I get it ... a Denali isn't for everyone but that is definitely one of the nicer "luxuries" with the GMC.

16 hours ago, Matt said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHUp_vkU6sk

1 minute ago, Matt said:

That's grade braking. That works great in this truck. I am talking about how it automatically turns on the parking brake if you are on an incline. I miss the mechanical parking brake from my 2016.

You'll get use to it. I just finished hooking up my 5th wheel. I love how it puts the brake on automatically when towing. Press the brake it turns off.

Edited by Steve753

17 hours ago, Bontz said:

I'm not a fan of automatic running boards, but that's what I've got with my Denali.  And I will say this much, the kick button to extend them back towards the rear wheels & being able to stand on the running board to reach into the bed of the truck is the cat's meow.  Freaking sweet feature!!  Now, I get it ... a Denali isn't for everyone but that is definitely one of the nicer "luxuries" with the GMC.

we initially thought this was a better design than the previous style. but we are having issues with the pivot points, motors, and corrosion. keep it clean under there, maybe fluid film those arms and pivot points. 

6 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

we initially thought this was a better design than the previous style. but we are having issues with the pivot points, motors, and corrosion. keep it clean under there, maybe fluid film those arms and pivot points. 

Interesting.  I had those on my 2016 and never had a single issue with them.  They were awesome.  Only thing I wish they allowed is independently turning one side on/off.  DW loves it on her side.  I never liked running boards on a half ton.  I don't need them unless I'm washing/waxing the roof.

26 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

Yep - the truck gets washed pretty regularly, including the under spray.

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Interesting.  I had those on my 2016 and never had a single issue with them.  They were awesome.  Only thing I wish they allowed is independently turning one side on/off.  DW loves it on her side.  I never liked running boards on a half ton.  I don't need them unless I'm washing/waxing the roof.

we are in the salt belt

29 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

we are in the salt belt

so was I until a couple years ago.  I'm kinda nuts about keeping things rinsed down though.  Never did anything other than clean them.