Check your account email address ×

Catalyst first review

Rod

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

I would think the 800 ho CFR would have been the fastest firecat.   Guy had a 1000 CFR out here on the lake and it was not that much better than mine off the line and suffered with the track on top.  I think the only stock sled that had more top end was the RX1.  The F7 went by the Fusion 900 like it was in reverse.  

I had a warmed over 03f7 that beat everything around ….my cfr 1k was faster bone stock. 

22 minutes ago, f7ben said:

No 03 was all of 140 for the efi sled. They were very lean. In 2004 they were fattened up significantly and made less power. 

No they weren’t. That is myth. They were pig rich on top, and lean in the mid range. hence the reason those fuel reducers were so popular on the early firecats. The 05-06 F7 did make closer to 140 hp out of the box. The 03-04 didn’t 

8 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I would think the 800 ho CFR would have been the fastest firecat.   Guy had a 1000 CFR out here on the lake and it was not that much better than mine off the line and suffered with the track on top.  I think the only stock sled that had more top end was the RX1.  The F7 went by the Fusion 900 like it was in reverse.  

I had an 03 f7, 2010 CFR 800 and a 2010 CFR 1000. The fastest was the 800. The 800ho actually ran a train on everything in the mid. I’m not sure if the 1000 had more top end or not but in a 660’ race the 800 whooped them all 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

No they weren’t. That is myth. They were pig rich on top, and lean in the mid range. hence the reason those fuel reducers were so popular on the early firecats. The 05-06 F7 did make closer to 140 hp out of the box. The 03-04 didn’t 

I owned many , the 03 made the most power and was the leanest map. You are clueless. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I had a warmed over 03f7 that beat everything around ….my cfr 1k was faster bone stock. 

In the beginning my group had 3 F7s two Sno Pros and one std.  the std 1 inch track was the fastest on the lake but it was all over the place in the trails.  Even 10 years later When the Ski doo XP was all the rage out on the pond none of them got infront of the F7 which was spotting them 10 years and 100cc.   

34 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It’s pretty crazy how much better they free wheel through the midrange and into the top end numbers with a narrower track. F7 and CFR made that abundantly clear. 

Back in the day my buddy bought a mint 05 xc600sp with a 1.5" for his wife. He drove it a few times(as did I 85mph MAX) the first season then we put a 1" x14" Hacksaw I had collecting dust in it and the stock gearing. I have never seen a sled gain so many MPH from a track and 1 tooth or gearing. It was 20 mph minimum (speedo).

• Platinum Contributing Member
22 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

The IQR was a race sled with zero creature comforts.  Rode like an empty logging truck.  

They rode best when they were in the air.

:lol:

29 minutes ago, HSR said:

Back in the day my buddy bought a mint 05 xc600sp with a 1.5" for his wife. He drove it a few times(as did I 85mph MAX) the first season then we put a 1" x14" Hacksaw I had collecting dust in it and the stock gearing. I have never seen a sled gain so many MPH from a track and 1 tooth or gearing. It was 20 mph minimum (speedo).

Yup

48 minutes ago, HSR said:

Yup they had wicked top end but sure had no traction. Track selection can make or break your sled tbh 

20 hours ago, ACE said:

Yup they had wicked top end but sure had no traction. Track selection can make or break your sled tbh 

We put 96 studs in it too. His other sled was an Edge/xcr triple 800 flannery ported,heads,HTG pipes and a 128" X 13.5" X 1" with 230+ studs. He was all about top end back then. That thing would wrap the needle on the lakes.

2 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Next time is snows I will dig out the old F7 and put some woop ass on these new sleds.   If memory serves the the 03 and 06 were the fast ones.  

They went really well with the 900 cc kit, 125 mph on radar, no problem.

If cat makes a version of this sled stripped down, comparable to the sno pro 500, how low of a price tag would it have to have to gain serious interest?  I’m not one of those guys that can handle 14,000+ for a sled. And like Carlos said, we don’t need big bores here in the north east other then Maine. I’m sure I’m not alone along with the younger blue collar generation.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hayward said:

If cat makes a version of this sled stripped down, comparable to the sno pro 500, how low of a price tag would it have to have to gain serious interest?  I’m not one of those guys that can handle 14,000+ for a sled. And like Carlos said, we don’t need big bores here in the north east other then Maine. I’m sure I’m not alone along with the younger blue collar generation.  

I think in 2003 the F7 was like $7000 give or take brand new.  Am I supposed to believe that a new 600 is worth twice as much as the F7 20 years later?  and if you want one of the big dogs with a turbo it will cost you 20k+.  No way the sport will survive these prices only the hard core will be left and that is too small of a pool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I think in 2003 the F7 was like $7000 give or take brand new.  Am I supposed to believe that a new 600 is worth twice as much as the F7 20 years later?  and if you want one of the big dogs with a turbo it will cost you 20k+.  No way the sport will survive these prices only the hard core will be left and that is too small of a pool.

Gave 6950 otd in 2011 for a new sp500. Kid just got home 300mile weekend .  I asked did you need a 20,000 sled?  He says no.

8 hours ago, f7ben said:

I need to change all 5 shaft bearings anyways so I just got a rip2 1.25 to put on it. I’m going to cut the rip2 down to 14” wide though before it goes on. 

ugh... speed tracks   don't forget they don't hold snow up in the tunnel as well as a 15"W... part of the reason I burned one down.

8 hours ago, HSR said:

had one, rode with it two seasons, good for mph with certainty... horrible in actual 'snow' and I could actually tell the sled wasn't as stable as with a 15"W... they trench well though.  :lol:  

this said, the Iron Dog guys with 137's were running them heavily studded a couple years ago so maybe they're a bit better with a little more length, but lord I was happy to be rid of mine.

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

ugh... speed tracks   don't forget they don't hold snow up in the tunnel as well as a 15"W... part of the reason I burned one down.

had one, rode with it two seasons, good for mph with certainty... horrible in actual 'snow' and I could actually tell the sled wasn't as stable as with a 15"W... they trench well though.  :lol:  

this said, the Iron Dog guys with 137's were running them heavily studded a couple years ago so maybe they're a bit better with a little more length, but lord I was happy to be rid of mine.

I probably have 14-15k or more miles on 13.5 and 14 wide tracks. I think you’re babbling about shit you are clueless on. 

• Like 1

Just now, f7ben said:

I probably have 14-15k or more miles on 13.5 and 14 wide tracks. I think you’re babbling about shit you are clueless on. 

you can't believe how happy I was to be rid of this... and the 1/2" wider gap on each side of the tunnel doesn't get as much snow to the front cooler... but, definitely faster on the big end

DSCN0167.JPG

DSCN0164.JPG

DSCN0168.JPG