Check your account email address ×

2023 Polaris Indy VR1 Boost 850 Turbo

8 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I don't have enough miles on my R yet, but I know my reg turbo 900 was easily as quick and fast as the 850s I ran against.  The R should spank an 850 handily.  I want to pinch this pig across a long hardpan lake. If it does 100 I'm good.  The Winders are probably gonna walk it, and thats ok.  I love the way they feel, doesn't wear me out like my cat turbo did.

Well the procross isn’t in the same ballpark as the g4 so there’s that. I’ll never forgive skidoo for dropping the amazing 1200 and adopting the trash 900

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Well the procross isn’t in the same ballpark as the g4 so there’s that. I’ll never forgive skidoo for dropping the amazing 1200 and adopting the trash 900

The 900 is like an engine you’d buy off the shelf at pep boys or something 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Like a harbor freight Chinese toy 

Turns out the injectors are almost maxed right out on the 900r with the stock tune :lol: 

and the turbo is hardly better 

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Turns out the injectors are almost maxed right out on the 900r with the stock tune :lol: 

and the turbo is hardly better 

Yup , remember when I tried explaining that to retard Dave who kept spazzing and babbling about 230hp with just a tune ???? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yup , remember when I tried explaining that to retard Dave who kept spazzing and babbling about 230hp with just a tune ???? 

Forget which tuning company it was but they found the injectors were on the edge of going static around 210 hp

you can push it a little further but you’re always be on the edge of grenading the engine 

My 1200 Blizzard was an excellent sled.  The 129 skid was great, it just needed better shocks.  My 900T is better in so many ways.

But I trail ride and have zero interest in dick measuring and sword fighting on kevlar lake.

Edited by jdsky

2 minutes ago, jdsky said:

My 1200 Blizzard was an excellent sled.  The 129 skid was great, it just needed better shocks.  My 900T is better in so many ways.

Don't mind them.  THey still wear leather checkerboard riding jackets and smoke Newports.

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, jdsky said:

But I trail ride and have zero interest in dick measuring and sword fighting on kevlar lake.

I look forward to taking the Z-T out for a ride. The only sled I found boring to ride lately was an 800 Cat.  

My daughter just got a new 600 XC and that is a fun sled on the trail. 

Before I bought my 20' 900T I really wanted to like the Thunderwinder.  My dealer back at that time has Yam, Doo and Poo and I test rode the Yamacat for a day.  The engine had plenty of juice but that was its best quality.  Take all of the shit parts that need to be replaced in the drivetrain to make it half way reliable and to it that the Yam was $2500 more than the Doo and it was an easy choice.  

That Spring Cat had the fire sale on Thundercat's but it was a total of $500 less and my go to Cat dealer for years had dropped the brand in 2018.  Complete non-starter there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jdsky said:

If you had just put a simple stage 1 turbo on the 1200 you’d be so fucking pissed off having to own that gay ass ace trash 

28 minutes ago, f7ben said:

If you had just put a simple stage 1 turbo on the 1200 you’d be so fucking pissed off having to own that gay ass ace trash 

Great engine?  Of course it is but there is more to a sled for me than HP.  The XS chassis with that engine was good, not great.  More HP is not fixing that just adding more complexity and shit that won't work when you need it to most.  I have friends that just love to tinker with that shit and that is exactly what they end up doing.  The season is just far too short for me to waste time doing that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Great engine?  Of course it is but there is more to a sled for me than HP.  The XS chassis with that engine was good, not great.  More HP is not fixing that just adding more complexity and shit that won't work when you need it to most.  I have friends that just love to tinker with that shit and that is exactly what they end up doing.  The season is just far too short for me to waste time doing that.

That’s true , but my point was skidoo should have put the fucking 1200 in the g4 with a turbo on it , not the garbage ACE 

if you like your sled that's the most important thing it does not mater what others think, its your money. I'm more of a fan of the Pro-S and the XC's and I'm running an mXz 850 and it works. 

Edited by Badger**
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, f7ben said:

That’s true , but my point was skidoo should have put the fucking 1200 in the g4 with a turbo on it , not the garbage ACE 

There were two issues with this.  Economics and packaging in the G4 chassis.  They use the 900 Ace in everything from snow to dirt to asphalt to water.  The engine is bullet proof reliable and performance hits the mark for 99% of the sledding world.  In the G4 wide chassis it is far better balanced and the turbo comes in at the same weight as my 1200 Blizzard.  

I have two sleds and a pair of Sea Doo's with the 900.  I have had zero issues with the engine in any of these, it runs smooth, quiet and is incredibly fuel efficient.  Things that matter to most that have a shed full of toys to maintain.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jdsky said:

There were two issues with this.  Economics and packaging in the G4 chassis.  They use the 900 Ace in everything from snow to dirt to asphalt to water.  The engine is bullet proof reliable and performance hits the mark for 99% of the sledding world.  In the G4 wide chassis it is far better balanced and the turbo comes in at the same weight as my 1200 Blizzard.  

I have two sleds and a pair of Sea Doo's with the 900.  I have had zero issues with the engine in any of these, it runs smooth, quiet and is incredibly fuel efficient.  Things that matter to most that have a shed full of toys to maintain.    

It’s an anemic motor that has all of the penalties of a turbo 4 stroke and none of the benefits. Leave it to skidoo to put a heavy 4 stroke turbo in a sled that won’t even run with a stock winder when fully modified at a cost of your warranty and thousands in aftermarket parts. Pathetic 

The 1200 was such an amazing motor , the 900 is the exact opposite. 

Edited by f7ben

28 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It’s an anemic motor that has all of the penalties of a turbo 4 stroke and none of the benefits. Leave it to skidoo to put a heavy 4 stroke turbo in a sled that won’t even run with a stock winder when fully modified at a cost of your warranty and thousands in aftermarket parts. Pathetic 

okok...we get your point.  :lol: Everyone I know who owns one generally loves that motor.  All you are talking about is mod potential, which the average trail rider doesn't give a shit about.  Granted I turned my first one into a giant paper weight, but I digress.  :lol: 

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

okok...we get your point.  :lol: Everyone I know who owns one generally loves that motor.  All you are talking about is mod potential, which the average trail rider doesn't give a shit about.  Granted I turned my first one into a giant paper weight, but I digress.  :lol: 

Mod potential is all that matters with a 4s turbo. Why buy one that isn’t any more powerful than a 2s and deal with all the weight? 

Just now, f7ben said:

Mod potential is all that matters with a 4s turbo. Why buy one that isn’t any more powerful than a 2s and deal with all the weight? 

To you maybe.  The non R turbo runs quicker and faster than 850s, uses less gas and no oil.  Another 20-30 hp can't hurt.  Best motor for a trail sled ever made.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

To you maybe.  The non R turbo runs quicker and faster than 850s, uses less gas and no oil.  Another 20-30 hp can't hurt.  Best motor for a trail sled ever made.  

I don’t think it runs faster than 850s , in fact I’d bet on the 850 most of the time. I’ve never raced or ridden one but my diehard skidoo friend Bill said the one 900t he’s encountered was an absolute turd and it was slower than his stock 1200

• Platinum Contributing Member

I know this.....my Winder is no slouch and I've ran into some damn fine running 900 Turbo's.   I would have zero issue owning one.  300 HP is without a doubt beyond fun but getting them to hook in a variety of conditions is not that easy.  

55 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yeah that’s pretty much about it. If you’re going to have the penalty of the turbo 4 stroke you should with the benefits but you don’t with them 900

hell the 2009 Z1T was a better engine setup by a fair bit 

• Platinum Contributing Member
24 minutes ago, f7ben said:

To many but not to the mfg's or the average rider.   

• Like 1