Check your account email address ×

tire prices

40 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

I'd say that they're probably 4-5 yr old tires. Usually they'll heavily discount them when they get old. DM-V2's? Look on the sidewall for a production date.

The winter tires that I just got were disconnected because they were dated 2018. it was clearly marked that the date was the reason for the discount.

• Gold Member

Older the tire the better.  Within reason anyway.  They get hard and wear better.  Atleast from my experience.  I got a set of tires for everything I own in the shed.  I was in a big tractor tire warehouse companies shed when there was a "shortage" of tractor tires.  THat fucking shed was FULL of tires.  Million dollars worth.  I asked him about the shortage or tires and he said "yep theres a shortage all right.  Waiting for the price increase next week and there won't be a shortage anymore."   Fucking greed is all this shit is!!!!

4 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

Older the tire the better.  Within reason anyway.  They get hard and wear better.  Atleast from my experience.  I got a set of tires for everything I own in the shed.  I was in a big tractor tire warehouse companies shed when there was a "shortage" of tractor tires.  THat fucking shed was FULL of tires.  Million dollars worth.  I asked him about the shortage or tires and he said "yep theres a shortage all right.  Waiting for the price increase next week and there won't be a shortage anymore."   Fucking greed is all this shit is!!!!

Huh? Older tires start to dry out and develop cracks which can cause the tire to delaminate. Not myth but fact. Don't shoot the messenger I'm just saying to think about it before you get the "great deal".

12 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

Wrong 

• Gold Member

oh go fuck yourselves guys.  Geez I am talking about 6 months or a year.  FFS.  Typical liberal fucking know it alls.  Get fucked.  I couldn't imagine walking around all day not knowing a fucking thing but yet trying to correct guys that are actually out here getting our hands dirty.  Did I tell you guys to fuck off yet?  Fuck off.  

• Like 1

• Gold Member
15 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

Huh? Older tires start to dry out and develop cracks which can cause the tire to delaminate. Not myth but fact. Don't shoot the messenger I'm just saying to think about it before you get the "great deal".

I bought my great grandmas 1968 buick lesabre.  22k original miles.  Original tires.  My tire guy says they look good, run em.  I bought four new ones anyway.  Wife likes to drive that car.  I sure wish I had a smart guy around me like you that just assumes things but knows nothing.  Heres to you and @ActionfigureJoe go fuck yourselves!!!

2 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

I bought my great grandmas 1968 buick lesabre.  22k original miles.  Original tires.  My tire guy says they look good, run em.  I bought four new ones anyway.  Wife likes to drive that car.  I sure wish I had a smart guy around me like you that just assumes things but knows nothing.  Heres to you and @ActionfigureJoe go fuck yourselves!!!

Wow dude, don't have a coronary! I have to tell you my friend that my small company has sold and installed probably 20,000 tires while doesn't make me an expert in your eyes but I do know a little bit about tires. Sorry, but you lost me with the "older the tire the better" remark.

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

oh go fuck yourselves guys.  Geez I am talking about 6 months or a year.  FFS.  Typical liberal fucking know it alls.  Get fucked.  I couldn't imagine walking around all day not knowing a fucking thing but yet trying to correct guys that are actually out here getting our hands dirty.  Did I tell you guys to fuck off yet?  Fuck off.  

14 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

Are you related to Atomic Derpo?😂🤔

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, poopooforme said:

I care about you. As does your family. Friends don’t let friends drive on cracked and dried out tires. 

17 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Lack of skilled labor is at critical mass across the country. The younger people refuse to take the time and put in the effort to hone a trade. It’ll only get worse. 

I don't really agree with that, my oldest tech is 34, my shop foreman is 27.  These guys are extremely skilled and through, all we work on are high end European vehicles so shit has to be done exact.

25 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I don't really agree with that, my oldest tech is 34, my shop foreman is 27.  These guys are extremely skilled and through, all we work on are high end European vehicles so shit has to be done exact.

i'm not saying there are none. you are fortunate. we have ads all over and nothing. could be because it's gm and the bullshit is well known. we had a cool guy, came from a big truck dealer. mr diesel , he loved the shit. till he got to a duramax in a pickup. then he was humbled. didn't last long. people have interest in what you are fixing at your place. some guys dream is to work on porsches  and such because they love the cars. trust me , none of these guys i work with are loving any of it. they love old hot rods and shit like that .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

indeed mount and balance has gone crazy. our new balancer was 16k. tire machine the same. that's a lot of tire changes

I'm slowly switching everything to beads. 

Trailers included.

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

To be fair I don't travel or spend time in the eastern US. So maybe it's green pastures over there for quality people. From the midwest all the way to the west coast there's a massive shortage in every trade connected to the auto industry and the 20somethings are rare as hen's teeth. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i'm not saying there are none. you are fortunate. we have ads all over and nothing. could be because it's gm and the bullshit is well known. we had a cool guy, came from a big truck dealer. mr diesel , he loved the shit. till he got to a duramax in a pickup. then he was humbled. didn't last long. people have interest in what you are fixing at your place. some guys dream is to work on porsches  and such because they love the cars. trust me , none of these guys i work with are loving any of it. they love old hot rods and shit like that .

Toyota shop had to send someone to Boston to train on the new Supra. Scottie came back from the training and said overall he was pretty impressed.

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

To be fair I don't travel or spend time in the eastern US. So maybe it's green pastures over there for quality people. From the midwest all the way to the west coast there's a massive shortage in every trade connected to the auto industry and the 20somethings are rare as hen's teeth. 

A steady stream of fine young men come from out tech schools. As soon as one graduates, they have a home at the shop, and as soon as one moves up, another moves in. All have seemed to be very good kids, the the 2 guys I know who moved up are exceedingly happy with the program.

21 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

i think dealers in ny have to fix from inside

Repairs are limited to the tread area only; puncture injury cannot be greater than 1/4 inch (6mm), repairs must be performed by removing the tire from the rim/wheel assembly to perform a complete inspection to assess all damage that may be present, repairs cannot overlap, and a rubber stem, or plug, must be applied to ..

A tire should really be repaired from the inside but I’m certainly not against an external repair, done in the correct manner, just to get home, on a yard/woods vehicle, etc. 

20 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

True. The shop that I use lost two of its employees to early retirement. They had to go outside the area for some good techs. Apparently they didn’t come cheap. 

As they shouldn’t come cheap. Even if a tech stays off the tool trucks for anything other than specialty shit, tools aren’t cheap and that’s just the beginning. If a shop isn’t spending the money to stay current with equipment and training, the techs suffer first. Plus, a good tech is worth good money. I’m lucky to finally have decent pay and on a decent pay schedule. Flat rate/commission based pay systems usually run people out of the business long before they should be many times. 

19 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

at least they came. we are a gmc dealer, and i have 3 techs. one is 70, one is 71, and the other is 55. i'm 56, boss is 59. we had a 20s guy as a tech. smart kid but late 2 days a week. here you get a weeks vaca and 3 sick days the day you start. he used all of those and ended up with missing 30 days this year. then he gives his notice and doesn't come back. forecast here is ugly as you can see by the age of the staff. plus we are in a small ski town , no one coming looking for a job. sad situation but we maintain 5 stars in sales and service. imagine a shop that is not flat rate today

We got given an intern this past spring. Four year tech engineering automotive degree. Kid said he worked in dealers for the entire time he was in school. Shows up with a BUNCH of new HF tools. Took him 3 WEEKS to change an oil pump on a ZL1 Camaro. Three, fucking, weeks. He made it three days before he needed his hand held the rest of the way. You should have seen the look on his face when he asked me to help him drop the cradle out of it and I went over there and just dropped the cradle jack without asking him if he was ready. He jumped 10 feet thinking the engine was going to fall on the floor. Bub bye kid. No time to teach a know it all who also thought he was going to get hired for more than I make when his internship was up. 

19 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Lack of skilled labor is at critical mass across the country. The younger people refuse to take the time and put in the effort to hone a trade. It’ll only get worse. 

True and false. But mostly true. There’s still some good ones coming around. Most are even humble too. Sometimes too humble. I wish them well. EV will kill the need for a LOT of auto techs though. 

19 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

i don't know who they think is going to be fixing their ev. 

There won’t be that much to “fix” just replace. Monkeys can do that. 

14 hours ago, J. Jackson said:
1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

I assume you pay them well. Hopefully not full commission base, as well. 

1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

I actually don’t mind working on the new stuff. Makes me use my head. I do still have a timing light and vacuum gauge in the home tool box though. I even still see a few old school rigs at the house every summer for a quick tune up. That’s still fun to me too. It’s crazy to see them and think about how simple they were. 

21 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

A tire should really be repaired from the inside but I’m certainly not against an external repair, done in the correct manner, just to get home, on a yard/woods vehicle, etc. 

As they shouldn’t come cheap. Even if a tech stays off the tool trucks for anything other than specialty shit, tools aren’t cheap and that’s just the beginning. If a shop isn’t spending the money to stay current with equipment and training, the techs suffer first. Plus, a good tech is worth good money. I’m lucky to finally have decent pay and on a decent pay schedule. Flat rate/commission based pay systems usually run people out of the business long before they should be many times. 

We got given an intern this past spring. Four year tech engineering automotive degree. Kid said he worked in dealers for the entire time he was in school. Shows up with a BUNCH of new HF tools. Took him 3 WEEKS to change an oil pump on a ZL1 Camaro. Three, fucking, weeks. He made it three days before he needed his hand held the rest of the way. You should have seen the look on his face when he asked me to help him drop the cradle out of it and I went over there and just dropped the cradle jack without asking him if he was ready. He jumped 10 feet thinking the engine was going to fall on the floor. Bub bye kid. No time to teach a know it all who also thought he was going to get hired for more than I make when his internship was up. 

True and false. But mostly true. There’s still some good ones coming around. Most are even humble too. Sometimes too humble. I wish them well. EV will kill the need for a LOT of auto techs though. 

There won’t be that much to “fix” just replace. Monkeys can do that. 

I assume you pay them well. Hopefully not full commission base, as well. 

I actually don’t mind working on the new stuff. Makes me use my head. I do still have a timing light and vacuum gauge in the home tool box though. I even still see a few old school rigs at the house every summer for a quick tune up. That’s still fun to me too. It’s crazy to see them and think about how simple they were. 

So a kid comes in that needs seasoning and instead of mentoring  him you run him off…sounds like you’re part of the problem.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So a kid comes in that needs seasoning and instead of mentoring  him you run him off…sounds like you’re part of the problem.

I don’t work at a tire and lube store. He’s the one that basically bullshitted his way through the interview process and management dealt with him accordingly. It wasn’t my choice as to what happened to him. They saw him for what he was and made the decision, not me. Had he spent more time WANTING to work and learn rather than tell everyone how much he knew and play on his cell phone, he would have been hired in a heartbeat. 

I get it though. You took most of my post completely out of context. Again. Just to start a fucking argument. Again. You don’t know that he was in our shop for months and couldn’t do the most basic of tasks but no matter. You’ll run your piss flaps none the less and I’ll go about my business, none the less. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

The guys I got love the technology and the challenge that go along with it, and they love the super cars that come in. They were arguing who gets to work on the R8 Monday morning.

IMG_20221119_115116222_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I don’t work at a tire and lube store. He’s the one that basically bullshitted his way through the interview process and management dealt with him accordingly. It wasn’t my choice as to what happened to him. They saw him for what he was and made the decision, not me. Had he spent more time WANTING to work and learn rather than tell everyone how much he knew and play on his cell phone, he would have been hired in a heartbeat. 

I get it though. You took most of my post completely out of context. Again. Just to start a fucking argument. Again. You don’t know that he was in our shop for months and couldn’t do the most basic of tasks but no matter. You’ll run your piss flaps none the less and I’ll go about my business, none the less. 

I didn’t take anything out of context…maybe reread your post or don’t but it’s clear you didn’t like the kid from the start but hey you sure showed him when you dropped that cradle jack!

”No time to teach a knowitall”

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

• Gold Member
7 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Auto industry related jobs kind of pays like shit though.  Pays to own the shop…. Pays like shit to work for who owns the shop.  Whopper floppers are not all that far behind any auto trades out West in hourly wage.

• Haha 1