Check your account email address ×

tire prices

• Gold Member
Just now, J. Jackson said:

All kidding aside, I've got a few friends that work for Velco that love the big storms in the winter that happen along the Eastern seaboard. They get to leave the sub zero temps up here to work in 50-60 degree weather. Big money. One of my sons buds went to PR and made 38k in 2 weeks.

Hurricanes are $40-50k storms…. Ice storms are huge.  Fires are huge and even the climate shut offs in California are big money.  

I made a nice chunk off of Sandy.  Decided to not do hurricanes after that……  I was tempted with a big financial carrot though for Ian but decided to pass on it and stay home.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

What does it take to make $150k in that profession?

take Woodtick…. He is likely over 200k doing hvac.  

80k per year gross is on the low end for the trades.  Don’t take offense to it but it is just a fact.  It’s why the industry has staffing troubles.

Offense?? I'm not a tech, you just seem to think that a tech makes what a "Whopper flipper" does per your own words. And as usual you are wrong.

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Bohica sounds like he's an exception.

Screenshot_20221119_193535.jpg

I would be careful or questioning of wages on google…  They always seem to come pretty low for any profession.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/What-Is-the-Average-AUTO-BODY-Technician-Salary-by-State

B6414BF9-92DD-49DA-964D-BC445C3C7F3C.png

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

I would be careful or questioning of wages on google…  They always seem to come pretty low for any profession.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/What-Is-the-Average-AUTO-BODY-Technician-Salary-by-State

B6414BF9-92DD-49DA-964D-BC445C3C7F3C.png

It's an average and usually spot on.

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Offense?? I'm not a tech, you just seem to think that a tech makes what a "Whopper flipper" does per your own words. And as usual you are wrong.

I’m just say 80k is a pretty low paid trade…. Just exaggerating what whopper floppers make…. No whopper flopper managers….  That would be a better comparison

16 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Screenshot_20221119_194043.jpg

In his defense I have a very good friend who was a lineman for the IBEW and made good money, but he was on call nonstop all hours of the day and night going in so he couldn't take a day trip on the weekends or have any drinks. He left the And went to Work for National Grid about 3 years ago, same deal with the on call stuff but they pay him about 40k more a year than where he was before. I guess he's like one of 2 people in the county that is capable of doing some certain things, so that's why he's on call all the time. I'm actually pushing my son towards it, it's a good career. My buddy gave me all his books from school to give to my son

IMG_20221119_205215949.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

In his defense I have a very good friend who was a lineman for the IBEW and made good money, but he was on call nonstop all hours of the day and night going in so he couldn't take a day trip on the weekends or have any drinks. He left the And went to Work for National Grid about 3 years ago, same deal with the on call stuff but they pay him about 40k more a year than where he was before. I guess he's like one of 2 people in the county that is capable of doing some certain things, so that's why he's on call all the time. I'm actually pushing my son towards it, it's a good career. My buddy gave me all his books from school to give to my son

That's why I said what I did. There's the high end and the low end of pay for all trades. Usually the higher pay the more sacrifices are made.

:bc:

Bohicas cunty, so he makes it sound like ALL tradesman make what he does.

:lol: 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I’m just say 80k is a pretty low paid trade…. Just exaggerating what whopper floppers make…. No whopper flopper managers….  That would be a better comparison

You're delusional. $80k is better than average income. 

You are in a very well paid trade. Compensation for skills, inconvenience, overtime, travel, environment, risk, etc. There are few who are capable and willing to do what you do.

I work with electricians, gas fitters, plumbers, all the time. They typically make $55-65k annually. Union guys do a bit better.

I'm in construction, own my business, work 70-80 hours per week. I tell the electricians, gas fitters, plumbers what to do. I make $80k.....lol

I used to make more but I was working 100-120 hours/week back then. Too old to do that now so I give my money to employees.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Many years back I did some training with some Grid guys.  Somebody had cut themselves with a pocket knife at work…. They took away all the knives.  They ultimately got knives back cut they had to wear some cut resistant gloves or something.

If your kid is going to go into linework the best place to apprentice is Cal/Nev JATC.

5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Many years back I did some training with some Grid guys.  Somebody had cut themselves with a pocket knife at work…. They took away all the knives.  They ultimately got knives back cut they had to wear some cut resistant gloves or something.

If your kid is going to go into linework the best place to apprentice is Cal/Nev JATC.

He's not sure yet on what he wants to do (he's a junior in highschool 11th grade) but he's interested in it. He's really good at math, he goes to Syracuse University 2 afternoons a week and takes some college math courses a calculus course and trigonometry course, he's into building computers and computer systems too.

27 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

That's why I said what I did. There's the high end and the low end of pay for all trades. Usually the higher pay the more sacrifices are made.

:bc:

Bohicas cunty, so he makes it sound like ALL tradesman make what he does.

:lol: 

:true:

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
17 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

He's not sure yet on what he wants to do (he's a junior in highschool 11th grade) but he's interested in it. He's really good at math, he goes to Syracuse University 2 afternoons a week and takes some college math courses a calculus course and trigonometry course, he's into building computers and computer systems too.

Union Elevator mechanic/installer.  Pretty challenging to get an apprenticeship in that but the wages those fellas pull down are amazing or I should say the one guy I knew in my younger years was making a grip during his Union elevator apprenticeship.

https://unionpayscales.com/trades/

Edited by BOHICA

4 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Union Elevator mechanic/installer.  Pretty challenging to get an apprenticeship in that but the wages those fellas pull down are amazing or I should say the one guy I knew in my younger years was making a grip during his Union elevator apprenticeship.

https://unionpayscales.com/trades/

Yep, we had 2 old freight elevators at my old work and I had to deal with the techs for repairs on it, super nice guys and they definitely made good coin based on the bill I would get

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

What does it take to make $150k in that profession?

take Woodtick…. He is likely over 200k doing hvac.  

80k per year gross is on the low end for the trades.  Don’t take offense to it but it is just a fact.  It’s why the industry has staffing troubles.

If I did your kind of OT, I’d be right there with you. Also in a climate controlled shop but I’m working on a different kind of exotic. 

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Yep, we had 2 old freight elevators at my old work and I had to deal with the techs for repairs on it, super nice guys and they definitely made good coin based on the bill I would get

Likely the highest paid trade…  right location with the right individual I bet it’s 400+ at least 

• Gold Member
19 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

If I did your kind of OT, I’d be right there with you. Also in a climate controlled shop but I’m working on a different kind of exotic. 

Never been much of an indoor person myself.

53 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

If he likes numbers and mechanics look into a Materials Engineering.  I'm a now retired Mechanical Engineer. Working with our Materials lab on failure analysis gets very detailed including loads, stresses and failure point. This points the design team to what needs to be redesigned as far as design/materials. 

• Gold Member
6 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Auto industry related jobs kind of pays like shit though.  Pays to own the shop…. Pays like shit to work for who owns the shop.  Whopper floppers are not all that far behind any auto trades out West in hourly wage.

😂 ya ok. I’m a tech, I’m flat rate I’ll make roughly 115k this year. I’m not even the top paid guy at the shop either. If burger flippers are making that I’ll fucking quit tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

If he likes numbers and mechanics look into a Materials Engineering.  I'm a now retired Mechanical Engineer. Working with our Materials lab on failure analysis gets very detailed including loads, stresses and failure point. This points the design team to what needs to be redesigned as far as design/materials. 

If he goes that route give me a shout I have a huge network in that domain.  

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

😂 ya ok. I’m a tech, I’m flat rate I’ll make roughly 115k this year. I’m not even the top paid guy at the shop either. If burger flippers are making that I’ll fucking quit tomorrow.

Probably depends a lot on region.  I don’t think a lot of Midwest techs make that kind of dough.  Heck, I’m a mechanical engineer in the Midwest and don’t pull those kinds of numbers.  Maybe if I worked a ton of overtime but I’ve got too much other shit to do trying to maintain a 1908 farmhouse and a 20 year old E53.   

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Probably depends a lot on region.  I don’t think a lot of Midwest techs make that kind of dough.  Heck, I’m a mechanical engineer in the Midwest and don’t pull those kinds of numbers.  Maybe if I worked a ton of overtime but I’ve got too much other shit to do trying to maintain a 1908 farmhouse and a 20 year old E53.   

Yup big factor is region Midwest generally has a lower cost of living than New England so I’d guess pay is generally higher here. That’s why I drive 50mins to work too busier city area vs rural area I live in. Yup same for me no time or want for overtime got better shit to do. I work 4 days a week 8-5 although a decent amount of those days I’ll go in a hour or two early or do a short 10min lunch instead of the hour we get but never put in more than 40hrs a week actual time there.

Edited by 800renegaderider

9 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Screenshot_20221119_194043.jpg

Funny that you mentioned lineman. My buddy was here yesterday and he mentioned that a mutual friend that just retired said that a young experienced lineman that WANTED to work could easily make over $200K a year.

• Like 1