Check your account email address ×

SSFB sled shopping thread

SSFB

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Can you or Tick hook him up with Paul at Pats?🤔😎

For sure but dealer sleds are pretty expensive these days. Not sure he wants to go there but definitely could

23 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I've gotten many 1000's miles out of the bearings - keep grease in them, and water out, they last just fine.  At least that's my experience.

I have found those 6004's are good for about 2 seasons and then you should change them. that is one thing skidoo does right. They use bigger bearings and seals on the wheels. 

31 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

The short track is definitely squirely vs. the 136

They are fine trail sleds but you really need to stud them up or they are way too squirrelly. the longer tracks just handle better and are more comfortable to ride. For us guys getting older the longer tracks are just better all around

• Like 3

I dunno .. those "spoked" wheels Polaris uses (or used) on the Rush/Switchback models seemed to be junk as a whole.  They definitely don't hold up well if the track is studded as the rubber chunks out of them.  And no, it's not because of the stud pattern because replacing them with the solid bogeys solved the issue.  I do agree the bearing quality could be better, but the stock bogey wheels with that spoke design are not great.

The point about the Rush style models lacking storage is another issue, and one of the main reasons I went with the Assault in 2018.  We had a couple saddlebag rides where I needed something legit to store my stuff & the Rush style just didn't have a good solution.

Just now, Anler said:

I have found those 6004's are good for about 2 seasons and then you should change them. that is one thing skidoo does right. They use bigger bearings and seals on the wheels. 

I go through every single bearing in the 2000-2500 mile range.  Putting usually 5000+ per season, I may replace 1 or 2.  Sometimes I just replace a group of 4 (Front 4, middle 4, or rear 4) all at the same time, just for Peace of Mind (That old Iron Maiden album!) that they are all on the same maintenance schedule.

Just now, Mag6240 said:

I go through every single bearing in the 2000-2500 mile range.  Putting usually 5000+ per season, I may replace 1 or 2.  Sometimes I just replace a group of 4 (Front 4, middle 4, or rear 4) all at the same time, just for Peace of Mind (That old Iron Maiden album!) that they are all on the same maintenance schedule.

I suppose it depends more on how often they thaw out and then the rust and corrosion sets in. They just dont hold up like the bigger bearings I had in my skidoos

• Like 1

Just now, Anler said:

I suppose it depends more on how often they thaw out and then the rust and corrosion sets in. They just dont hold up like the bigger bearings I had in my skidoos

True - the bigger Upper Carrier bearings on the "Rush" chassis still take a beating though, I've had to replace those as well if I failed to service them at the 2000-2500 mile interval.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Can you or Tick hook him up with Paul at Pats?🤔😎

Tick had mentioned that place last night while we were texting about sleds. I will keep it in mind but I checked it out last night and the prices were about the same as my dealer plus it's further away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Tick had mentioned that place last night while we were texting about sleds. I will keep it in mind but I checked it out last night and the prices were about the same as my dealer plus it's further away.

yeah i dont think there are too many deals out there right now

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SSFB said:

Been looking at sleds alot lately, as much as I'm tempted to buy a new one I'm probably going to buy something used. 

These two are pretty decent deals, what do you guys think? At first I was only looking at Assaults but I'm thinking I want to try a shorty for a season at least. 

I lean more towards a Switchback but the XCR Rush was a hell of alot of fun when I rode Drew's.

@Anler

@Woodtick

@f7ben

@Bontz

2016 Switchbacks, they actually have a twin pair of them at this dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5581243378588397/

2017 XCR Rush, private sale. I'm tempted to low ball on this one and see if they take it. If they don't, I just keep driving up north and buy the other one. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5489603374457035/

i liked my switchback a lot.  prob more than my backcountry XRS.  i would go 136/137 track all day long over a shorty

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, HSR said:

For purely trail riding I have yet to ride anything that is better than a Pro S switchback.

I’m still kicking around the idea of not taking my snowcheck and buying one of these.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

I’m still kicking around the idea of not taking my snowcheck and buying one of these.

I don't think you would be disappointed :bc: and save some cash :thumb:

2 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Love my Switchback Pro S . 

looking at buying a 2016 Pro S 600 right now for the Wife actually .

I would not hesitate to buy a clean one @HSR

As much as guys make fun of the farm equipment rear end it doesn't matter to me.It just flat out works once you get it set up the way you like.:bc:

25 minutes ago, HSR said:

As much as guys make fun of the farm equipment rear end it doesn't matter to me.It just flat out works once you get it set up the way you like.:bc:

Yup , it’s not as plush as an rmotion but it has other aspects that make it better. My favorite rear skid without doubt.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SSFB said:

Been looking at sleds alot lately, as much as I'm tempted to buy a new one I'm probably going to buy something used. 

These two are pretty decent deals, what do you guys think? At first I was only looking at Assaults but I'm thinking I want to try a shorty for a season at least. 

I lean more towards a Switchback but the XCR Rush was a hell of alot of fun when I rode Drew's.

@Anler

@Woodtick

@f7ben

@Bontz

2016 Switchbacks, they actually have a twin pair of them at this dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5581243378588397/

2017 XCR Rush, private sale. I'm tempted to low ball on this one and see if they take it. If they don't, I just keep driving up north and buy the other one. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5489603374457035/

Give her the full 8 if she tosses in a bj

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Anler said:

For sure but dealer sleds are pretty expensive these days. Not sure he wants to go there but definitely could

Can't take the new ones home any way . Still no fix kits delived to dealers as of yesterday 

• Sad 1