Check your account email address ×

2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

4 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

But I thought the cooling issues that the procross showed were improved upon with the catalyst. I rode one day on very hard pack for several hours and was impressed WITHOUT scratchers.

Tunnel flares... ;)

:roflcrying:

• Haha 1

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

Tunnel flares... ;)

:roflcrying:

:slapping:  no more talk of this foolishness!    Guessing though that if we put some kashima coating on metal flares this would solve all this ?  :ashamed:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jonlafon1 said:

:slapping:  no more talk of this foolishness!    Guessing though that if we put some kashima coating on metal flares this would solve all this ?  :ashamed:

Kashima is a shaft coating….

:lolz:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

I would not doubt the belt is wrong(slightly off) from CAT they have not clutched a sled very well for many years. The guys at Thunder figured it out(or will with better time and snow) weather it be clutch weights or a shorter, and or a stickier belt compound. I have not tried a different belt, but just adding more weight and playing with clutching components has yielded good results by several on here. Im only able to say I made mine produce less belt dust, lower over revs, and was able to pull the belt up higher for better top end. I will be sending out my clutch(adapt) over to Terry at thunder and let him balance it out and do what's needed to get some more performance. I have absolutely no doubt in his ability to make a clutch produce more overdrive. He has done it for me with other clutches in the past. I don't do Facebook so I don't know if he has provided evidence to his numbers he claims for the 600 catalyst.  The season was so bad for riding that many were not even able to trail ride these new sleds. I really like what I felt and noticed on the RXC in 250 miles. My only bitch is the seat. But I thought the cooling issues that the procross showed were improved upon with the catalyst. I rode one day on very hard pack for several hours and was impressed WITHOUT scratchers.

That's a great testimonial.  The way he posted on Facebook, it sounded too good to be true.  And, I keep looking at other clutch people, like BDX and Speedwerx, and they've got nothing about belt size.  I just wasn't sure what to believe.  However, the way you've explained it, I think there's definitely merit the belt.  Since I don't have a spare for my Catalyst, I'd be willing to give it a try next season.

11 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

That's a great testimonial.  The way he posted on Facebook, it sounded too good to be true.  And, I keep looking at other clutch people, like BDX and Speedwerx, and they've got nothing about belt size.  I just wasn't sure what to believe.  However, the way you've explained it, I think there's definitely merit the belt.  Since I don't have a spare for my Catalyst, I'd be willing to give it a try next season.

he should start making tunnel flares... it's the hottest new upcoming market. 

look, only one guy according to Google claims they make your Cat run cooler just by attaching them.  he must really be onto something... ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=arctic+cat+tunnel+flares+cooling+heat+scratchers+Procross+&client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&sca_esv=f7f0ca8bbe6f40fd&sxsrf=ACQVn0_-4Zm0stQARngXajmZLZHxVBuHTQ%3A1710958490048&ei=mif7ZbOvAvaJptQP-c2JuAE&oq=arctic+cat+tunnel+flares+cooling+heat+scratchers+Procross+&gs_lp=EhNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwIjphcmN0aWMgY2F0IHR1bm5lbCBmbGFyZXMgY29vbGluZyBoZWF0IHNjcmF0Y2hlcnMgUHJvY3Jvc3MgMggQABiABBiiBDIIEAAYgAQYogQyCBAAGIAEGKIESLHiAlDXEljawgJwBHgAkAEAmAGtA6ABoyCqAQsxMy4xMy4zLjEuMbgBA8gBAPgBAZgCHqACwB3CAgUQIRigAcICBRAhGJ8FwgIHECEYChigAcICBBAeGAqYAwCIBgGSBwsxMS4xNS4yLjEuMaAHgkM&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

@Not greg b Where's the radiator and cooling fan ?

:lol:

https://www.arcticchat.com/threads/potential-cooling-improvement.491980/

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, p51mstg said:

I definitely think a different compound can make a HUGE difference. We saw it on the tuned sidewinders for sure. But when you start playing with slightly different length belts it can be tricky IMO. I would just wait and see what next winter brings for conditions.(before buying a spare) Only a matter of time these catalyst will be running good clutching. Im going to stick with the stock belt until I get a lot more miles and testing done. Got some guys on here that will get it dialed in, we just need a winter and snow to work with. From the new snowtech mag I read that thunder was saying the stock was slightly to long? So they were running a shorter belt?  Not saying they are right or wrong. Really looking forward to play and test with a dragy next year and the 600 clutching.  Myself I want to see 100 on hard pack and less belt dust. Good corner to corner with backshift. After that maybe pick up a 858 left over?  LOL.  Probably snow every day next winter and wont find any left over 858. I really hope cat gets the 858 right and gets some market share back. This catalyst is so easy to drive and rail.. Cat has always had the best front end handling sled on snow. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

Changes in belt length will change the entire calibration because the secondary and primary clutches will be in different points of their shift, relative to each other.

So if someone thinks there is a magic belt length that made their machine so much better, all it proves is their calibration was way off with the other belt.  That's it.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

thats it my cattlass is getting one of these

image.jpeg.9af3cd2942a66bbcb1dd3a9d458ee579.jpeg

Ya know, rather than the snowflap rule, have ISR mandate those... in ORANGE 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

16 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Changes in belt length will change the entire calibration because the secondary and primary clutches will be in different points of their shift, relative to each other.

So if someone thinks there is a magic belt length that made their machine so much better, all it proves is their calibration was way off with the other belt.  That's it.

That's not really true in my experience. While the "auto-tensioning" clutches that Cat uses may likely mask improper belt length better than other setups, a belt that is too long will absolutely crush top speed because the primary could be full shift, but the secondary is not (and cannot). Attempting to get the secondary to fully shift in that scenario would just create belt slip, heat, and further loss of top speed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

apparently the average size Yamaha riders need a longer flap as well...

LH-scaled.jpg

I have a brand new sno X flap and all the hardware sitting here and ready to go.  I picked up the parts with the intent of running a longer flap on a Procross just for giggles. 

I'd have to fab up mounts to put one on a Catalyst.  The stock mounting setup is two holes on the plane of the tunnel and those goofy tabs riveted to the bumper. 

The stock flap works, but it's flimsy.  If you are in sticky snow the stock flaps carry a lot of weight with the design of those ribs on the last section.  Riders will get tired of replacing flaps and just cut off that portion.   

I had one pop off running mogul slush piles going through the Houghton stretch.  Bud said he could see the thing flopping up and down until it finally broke loose.  Said it looked like slush bombs were kicking it out.  The final pop came on a road crossing with a big ol plow berm on the other side.  The flap hit on road hard, flipped up and popped.  Probably got lucky it happened right in that area.  I had a torx driver for the two tunnel screws in my kit but I don't carry a rivet gun.  I rode that flapless overheating bugger to the dealer and borrowed their tool.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of riders will tear off stock flaps with a simple reverse into any kind of snow.  I saw mine start rolling under the track just backing down the ramp first time I unloaded.  Good thing I was watching close and didn't do a tear off.  Would have been just stupid to go back to the dealer for a new flap with that story.

How many miles on the sled?

"Zero, It's only been in reverse for fifteen feet.  You guys loaded it with your forklift."

The sno X flap might not be a bad idea. ;)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, favoritos said:

I have a brand new sno X flap and all the hardware sitting here and ready to go.  I picked up the parts with the intent of running a longer flap on a Procross just for giggles. 

I'd have to fab up mounts to put one on a Catalyst.  The stock mounting setup is two holes on the plane of the tunnel and those goofy tabs riveted to the bumper. 

The stock flap works, but it's flimsy.  If you are in sticky snow the stock flaps carry a lot of weight with the design of those ribs on the last section.  Riders will get tired of replacing flaps and just cut off that portion.   

I had one pop off running mogul slush piles going through the Houghton stretch.  Bud said he could see the thing flopping up and down until it finally broke loose.  Said it looked like slush bombs were kicking it out.  The final pop came on a road crossing with a big ol plow berm on the other side.  The flap hit on road hard, flipped up and popped.  Probably got lucky it happened right in that area.  I had a torx driver for the two tunnel screws in my kit but I don't carry a rivet gun.  I rode that flapless overheating bugger to the dealer and borrowed their tool.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of riders will tear off stock flaps with a simple reverse into any kind of snow.  I saw mine start rolling under the track just backing down the ramp first time I unloaded.  Good thing I was watching close and didn't do a tear off.  Would have been just stupid to go back to the dealer for a new flap with that story.

How many miles on the sled?

"Zero, It's only been in reverse for fifteen feet.  You guys loaded it with your forklift."

The sno X flap might not be a bad idea. ;)

we're going to give it a whirl and it's not expensive with the backer... the stock flap isn't broken (yet) and it's bolted on.

good thinking for once in your life @Zambroski 9_9

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

half of them were cross threaded... it's probably because of your lazy eye. 

When I found out who his brother was, I rethreaded them cross-wise…..and took out one of the crank bearing pins and threw it in the bottom of the case.  :lol:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Premium said:

That's not really true in my experience. While the "auto-tensioning" clutches that Cat uses may likely mask improper belt length better than other setups, a belt that is too long will absolutely crush top speed because the primary could be full shift, but the secondary is not (and cannot). Attempting to get the secondary to fully shift in that scenario would just create belt slip, heat, and further loss of top speed.

Sure that would be the one scenario I suppose.  I was more talking about acceleration I forgot this forum is 600cc lake racers.

You're never going to get a secondary to shift more if the primary is done.  Any tuner would know if their primary is fully shifted.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

When I found out who his brother was, I rethreaded them cross-wise…..and took out one of the crank bearing pins and threw it in the bottom of the case.  :lol:

TWO butter burgers motherfucker!!!!  

8 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

I forgot to take a picture. It was a nice install. I think they used a transmission cooler for the radiator 

I think you texted a picture of it... 

6 hours ago, jonlafon1 said:

I definitely think a different compound can make a HUGE difference. We saw it on the tuned sidewinders for sure. But when you start playing with slightly different length belts it can be tricky IMO. I would just wait and see what next winter brings for conditions.(before buying a spare) Only a matter of time these catalyst will be running good clutching. Im going to stick with the stock belt until I get a lot more miles and testing done. Got some guys on here that will get it dialed in, we just need a winter and snow to work with. From the new snowtech mag I read that thunder was saying the stock was slightly too long? So they were running a shorter belt?  Not saying they are right or wrong. Really looking forward to play and test with a dragy next year and the 600 clutching.  Myself I want to see 100 on hard pack and less belt dust. Good corner to corner with backshift. After that maybe pick up a 858 left over?  LOL.  Probably snow every day next winter and wont find any left over 858. I really hope cat gets the 858 right and gets some market share back. This catalyst is so easy to drive and rail.. Cat has always had the best front end handling sled on snow. 

Some drag guys told me they went to a slightly short and fatter belt. They said the stock one is so long it actually effects out of the hole in that application as the belt hangs to far out of the clutch and slips at the hit. On a trail sled I don’t think that will matter. A shorter belt would give more top end. Cat ran shorter belts on the Sno pro xc vs sx back when the “kids chassis” Sno pro was relevant. 

• Like 2