Check your account email address ×

2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

1 minute ago, Ziemann said:

I think there's plenty of folks willing to pony up for the 858. Cat's production numbers will still be up regardless of what Poo/Doo release. Cat will be able to earn back some of their lost market share, but 5500 additional sleds?? I doubt it.  

THAT is the big question. Poo and Doo are not going to allow the 858 to be the top dog. I don't think 5500 additional sleds is realistic knowing how fickle our market is.....

Even if over all number of sleds built stays the same, More AC can be built than last year (yami didn't sell shit for their last year)

5 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

I think there's plenty of folks willing to pony up for the 858. Cat's production numbers will still be up regardless of what Poo/Doo release. Cat will be able to earn back some of their lost market share, but 5500 additional sleds?? I doubt it.  

THAT is the big question. Poo and Doo are not going to allow the 858 to be the top dog.

I don’t see Doo caring about the 858. They’ve already got a turbo trail sled and turbo mountain sled. Plus 8 cc’s is hardly a reason to jump to another brand. 

2 minutes ago, krom said:

Even if over all number of sleds built stays the same, More AC can be built than last year (yami didn't sell shit for their last year)

Yamaha’s ‘24 unveiling was the most pathetic thing I’ve seen. There are leftover ‘23 Venoms sitting at dealerships in my area. I don’t think I’ve seen an actual Yamaha/Cat sled on the snow in my area since the first year the Viper came out. 

22 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

I have a 24. Quit the windshield washer fluid. It is distorting your small brain. We will get our snow. Not the first El Nino . 

Really? And you still pulled the trigger to snowcheck a lawn ornament. Uh huh. You were the same dipshit saying how it was going to snow months ago in the El Niño thread. Fucking moron. Enjoy watching the retail value of your chick sled 600 plummet as guys who are interested in a new Cat buy 858’s.  

Digging around in the parts breakdowns...

ZR 600 129 - 27/60 gearing with pn 0728-281 (?T) driver (can't find more info...?)

ZR RXC 137 - 30/58 gearing with pn 0728-286 (8T) driver ($311)

Riot 1.6/1.75 - 27/60 gearing with pn 0728-282 (9T) driver ($284)

M sleds run 24/63 gearing... but the track pitch is different so it doesn't really matter to most on here.  

looking at the prices and if you want more low end grunt... I'd just change drives to the 8T as the gears/belt are stupidly expensive.   

;)

@taperk600 and @krom

10 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

ZR 600 129 - 27/60 gearing with pn 0728-281 (?T) driver (can't find more info...?)

M sleds run 24/63 gearing... but the track pitch is different so it doesn't really matter to most on here.  

looking at the prices and if you want more low end grunt... I'd just change drives to the 8T as the gears/belt are stupidly expensive.   

;)

@taperk600 and @krom

Poor people don’t ride new sleds. Try earning some money, it makes life much easier and those belt drive gearing changes are way easier that swapping drivers dip fuck.

2 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Poor people don’t ride new sleds. Try earning some money, it makes life much easier and those belt drive gearing changes are way easier that swapping drivers dip fuck.

I suppose changing the drivers an extra 30 minutes would be far more complicated when you don't have a garage next to your double wide trailer and you only have standard crescent wrenches.  

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I suppose changing the drivers an extra 30 minutes would be far more complicated when you don't have a garage next to your double wide trailer and you only have standard crescent wrenches.  

Uh huh, cause every homeowner has a hydraulic press in their heated garage. 

I had the opportunity to spend 10 minutes digging in to a production R-XC last night (compared to my Polaris Matryx) at a buddy's house and came away impressed. I wish I had more time, but what I did see was impressive. The fit and finish is the best that I've seen on any Cat. The graphics, colors, and general look will really stand out on the trail.

Some of my breif impressions on the Catalyst chassis:

- Frankly, the headlight needed to be adjusted but provided a decent light spread compared to the Polaris Night Blade. Obviously we were in a garage and not on the trail, but the new Cat headlight seemed decent. 

- Just like the Matryx, the Catalyst is going to be a cold sled. The way the body work is laid out, the wind will come around the body panels and in to your lap- maybe even more than the Matryx. You sit a long ways away from the tall windshield, the the bubble of warm air will be in front of you- just like the Matrix. You're not hiding behind the windshield, it is way to far in front of you. 

- Stock R-XC handlebar height was perfect for me. Controls were nicely laid out. Gauge was very visible- but a dinosaur gauge. I'll re-evaluate once Cat starts shipping the new Garmin gauge. Now that I've had the Polaris 7S, I'll never go back to Cat's dinosaur gauge. 

- The Catalyst seat is comfy- much better than expected. It felt very similar to my Polaris VR-1 seat foam. I was impressed. The battery was stored beneath the seat like on a ProCross. 

- The Catalyst seat removes easily with quarter turn hardware. It is similar again to the Matryx- just easier. 

- The Catalyst plastic running boards are cool. Provided nice grip, and toe holds seems ample (I was in street shoes). 

- The large storage bag is now decent quality. It's maybe not as nice as the BRP Linq bags, but decent quality. The anchoring system looks decent. 

-  The side panels remove easily and provide decent access. It was easy to get to the oil reservoir (that is located above the belt drive????????) and like all new sleds, it's pretty crowded under there.... I didn't remove the hood, but wish I had time. 

- The goggle storage compartment on the dash was pretty cool, and more practical that what is offered on the Matryx behind the 7S gauge. 

I'm sure I think of more things as I sit here at my desk. Frankly, the feel of the Catalyst just sitting is very similar to the Matryx (ergonomics). I could easily adopt the Catalyst platform. Frankly, my VR-1 still has this season and next season under warranty, so I won't be ordering a new sled for another 15 months. By then, Cat's 858 will be out, and the new Garmin Gauge will be out, and I will really be able to evaluate the Catalyst and Matryx apples to apples to decide which direction I am going to go. My initial impression is that my next sled could be in either chassis. They are very close. Price, performance, etc. will also be much clearer by then, so it will be fun to watch what happens over the next year. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

;)

@taperk600 and @krom

if you scroll past jimwits lies and bullshit, I posted info..

https://www.arcticchat.com/threads/catalyst-r-xc-observations.506253/page-2

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

I had the opportunity to spend 10 minutes digging in to a production R-XC last night (compared to my Polaris Matryx) at a buddy's house and came away impressed. I wish I had more time, but what I did see was impressive. The fit and finish is the best that I've seen on any Cat. The graphics, colors, and general look will really stand out on the trail.

Some of my breif impressions on the Catalyst chassis:

- Frankly, the headlight needed to be adjusted but provided a decent light spread compared to the Polaris Night Blade. Obviously we were in a garage and not on the trail, but the new Cat headlight seemed decent. 

- Just like the Matryx, the Catalyst is going to be a cold sled. The way the body work is laid out, the wind will come around the body panels and in to your lap- maybe even more than the Matryx. You sit a long ways away from the tall windshield, the the bubble of warm air will be in front of you- just like the Matrix. You're not hiding behind the windshield, it is way to far in front of you. 

- Stock R-XC handlebar height was perfect for me. Controls were nicely laid out. Gauge was very visible- but a dinosaur gauge. I'll re-evaluate once Cat starts shipping the new Garmin gauge. Now that I've had the Polaris 7S, I'll never go back to Cat's dinosaur gauge. 

- The Catalyst seat is comfy- much better than expected. It felt very similar to my Polaris VR-1 seat foam. I was impressed. The battery was stored beneath the seat like on a ProCross. 

- The Catalyst seat removes easily with quarter turn hardware. It is similar again to the Matryx- just easier. 

- The Catalyst plastic running boards are cool. Provided nice grip, and toe holds seems ample (I was in street shoes). 

- The large storage bag is now decent quality. It's maybe not as nice as the BRP Linq bags, but decent quality. The anchoring system looks decent. 

-  The side panels remove easily and provide decent access. It was easy to get to the oil reservoir (that is located above the belt drive????????) and like all new sleds, it's pretty crowded under there.... I didn't remove the hood, but wish I had time. 

- The goggle storage compartment on the dash was pretty cool, and more practical that what is offered on the Matryx behind the 7S gauge. 

I'm sure I think of more things as I sit here at my desk. Frankly, the feel of the Catalyst just sitting is very similar to the Matryx (ergonomics). I could easily adopt the Catalyst platform. Frankly, my VR-1 still has this season and next season under warranty, so I won't be ordering a new sled for another 15 months. By then, Cat's 858 will be out, and the new Garmin Gauge will be out, and I will really be able to evaluate the Catalyst and Matryx apples to apples to decide which direction I am going to go. My initial impression is that my next sled could be in either chassis. They are very close. Price, performance, etc. will also be much clearer by then, so it will be fun to watch what happens over the next year. 

welcome back to Cat Ziemann ?

@Not greg bshould have his in my driveway in a few hours.  sounds like he's going to need @fortune46x's ice fishing windshield 

6 minutes ago, krom said:

if you scroll past jimwits lies and bullshit, I posted info..

https://www.arcticchat.com/threads/catalyst-r-xc-observations.506253/page-2

ya know, I often forget that site exists tbh. 

what's the part # difference between the ZR and Riot about?  

in regards to the spark shield for the rotor on the RXC... pad compound.  even the 21 RXC will make good old school brake noise with the different compound pads. 

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

welcome back to Cat Ziemann ?

I am very happy with the Polaris VR-1. As I inch closer and closer to retirement, I'm moving further and further way from racing sleds (and on to plush trail cruisers). In my mind, I'm still a racer, but in reality I'm gravitating more towards old man riding and creature comforts.

So, I suspect that comfort and features will drive which direction I go on my next sled. If we ever get snow, I'll be able to get some seat time with Mac's Cat R-XC and compare it directly to my VR-1. 

4 minutes ago, krom said:

driveshaft?

Riot gets extros, zr intros

gotcha :thumbsup:

not selling the cogs separately I see... like Polaris.  wonder if it is the same size shaft as everything else they've used in the past decade... and if the RXC gets a hardened shaft?  if so, then you can probably just pick up some cogs. 

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

gotcha :thumbsup:

not selling the cogs separately I see... like Polaris.  wonder if it is the same size shaft as everything else they've used in the past decade... and if the RXC gets a hardened shaft?  if so, then you can probably just pick up some cogs. 

I'd be surprised if they changed the size of the hex, it hasnt changed since it came out on the 04 zr900.  The bearings are the same size as the procross, which are the same id as the dd sleds (both sides in the catalyst are the same pn as the procross brake side bearing)

Edited by krom
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, krom said:

hate to fuck up this thread with factual info, but....

image.png

8t's would get you there quicker but lose 10mph(ish) on the big end.  looks cheaper than regearing by a long shot.  plus, if someone wants to go taller than a 1.25 lug... same thing rather than buying gears.  this information will come in handy on Facebook when the kids start asking how to get them to do wheelies on a budget.  :roflcrying:

2 hours ago, Ziemann said:

THAT is the big question. Poo and Doo are not going to allow the 858 to be the top dog.

When did the 858 become bigger than the Poo 900, I must have missed that

3 hours ago, Ziemann said:

I am very happy with the Polaris VR-1.

<snip>

If we ever get snow, I'll be able to get some seat time with Mac's Cat R-XC and compare it directly to my VR-1. 

I have to agree. I honestly enjoyed my 650VR1 last season....once getting used to NOT having a Cat front end and having more body roll than the Cats I've always been on. I will say the 650 is VERY impressive for a small block.......

So much so that it's still in the stable.....and both the Catalysts (R-XC and the ZR-Atac 137) will be compared to this VR1. I am not only interested to see how the 2 Catalysts compare to one another .... as has been discussed here with the differences in gearing, drivers, etc.... But also how they compare to the VR1. 

ONCE WE GET SNOW !!!

• Like 5

driveway pics... it's a nice unit. :thumbsup:

Catextron's employees should take a victory lap.  Already trying to figure out how to turn it into a brand new 128 SnoPro... with @Not greg b's checkbook before I build my own. :roflcrying:

also, looks like it's going to be a cold ride after analyzing the body work.  have a few ideas 💡

IMG_20231229_160109733.jpg

IMG_20231229_155325761.jpg

IMG_20231229_155314753.jpg

IMG_20231229_154452927_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231229_154244380_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231229_154159847_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231229_154141560_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1