Check your account email address ×

Is electric really the answer?

Tides Are Also Affected by Weather and Geological Events

Before adopting the name tsunami, which means "big wave" in Japanese, oceanographers used to refer to the large movements of water that follow earthquakes and hurricanes as tidal waves. These are basically shock waves that travel through the water to create devastatingly high water at the shore.

Sustained high winds can help drive water toward the shore and create high tides known as surges. For coastal communities, these surges are often the most effects of tropical storms and hurricanes.

This can work the other way as well. Strong offshore winds can push water out to sea and create unusually low tides. Large storms tend occur in areas of low air pressure, called depressions. Gusts of air rush in from high-pressure air masses into these depressions, and the gusts drive the water.

7 minutes ago, toslow said:

Tides Are Also Affected by Weather and Geological Events

Before adopting the name tsunami, which means "big wave" in Japanese, oceanographers used to refer to the large movements of water that follow earthquakes and hurricanes as tidal waves. These are basically shock waves that travel through the water to create devastatingly high water at the shore.

Sustained high winds can help drive water toward the shore and create high tides known as surges. For coastal communities, these surges are often the most effects of tropical storms and hurricanes.

This can work the other way as well. Strong offshore winds can push water out to sea and create unusually low tides. Large storms tend occur in areas of low air pressure, called depressions. Gusts of air rush in from high-pressure air masses into these depressions, and the gusts drive the water.

You can save 50% energy use by switching to cold tides:

C824ECF0-F7AC-4757-B6A5-B33E9217D6EB.jpeg

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Hence the reasoning behind the made up bullshit.  There isn’t any kind of all electric fleet replacement proposed for development, let alone prototypes being foisted on farmers.  JFC.

Neal

I agree, no farmer is going to just allow this to be forced upon them. 

The story just provides points of interest regarding EV tractors.

26 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I agree, no farmer is going to just allow this to be forced upon them. 

The story just provides points of interest regarding EV tractors.

No current battery could keep up to the energy demands of large agricultural equipment. This stuff just doesn’t exist 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

It does, as well as reducing symptoms if contraction of COVID-19 occurs.

Fucking wet brain.

Neal

So how did omicron get to NA if only the vaccinated could travel?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Total bullshit.  JD doesn’t have that much prototype gear in all electric.  It’s just another made up story to get on the hate electric bandwagon.

Neal

Really, how many JD dealers you talk to on a weekly basis??...I'm like 10-20 dealers ..

IMO, we should be looking at hydrogen powered vehicles and equipment,. Infrastructure is already in place, just another tank in the ground at your local gas station that holds pressurized hydrogen, no real wait time for a fuel up unlike charging, Toyota is doing a lot with hydrogen powered vehicles..

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Really, how many JD dealers you talk to on a weekly basis??...I'm like 10-20 dealers ..

IMO, we should be looking at hydrogen powered vehicles and equipment,. Infrastructure is already in place, just another tank in the ground at your local gas station that holds pressurized hydrogen, no real wait time for a fuel up unlike charging, Toyota is doing a lot with hydrogen powered vehicles..

We’ll see a variety of different fueled vehicles going forward. Gas, hydrogen, EV, diesel, fuel cell, and hybrid. This about idiots arguing about nothing. The more diverse fueled vehicles become the better it is for everyone. 

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

We’ll see a variety of different fueled vehicles going forward. Gas, hydrogen, EV, diesel, fuel cell, and hybrid. This about idiots arguing about nothing. The more diverse fueled vehicles become the better it is for everyone. 

I agree, but I think hydrogen is the more efficient and lest costly way to go. I'd have zero issues with running a hydrogen truck and equipment and there are a lot of reasons I would and could, but there is a pile of reasons I can not run electric truck and equipment 

On 8/15/2022 at 5:06 PM, Rigid1 said:

Neal

I always wonder why some of these stories circulate.  Anyone can write a story.  It takes another person to have the motivation and move it to the next, and the next. .

There is some irony to the discussion.  JD has been working on electric for quite some time.  They were deep into testing before we saw Tesla on the road.  Their testing has been mostly in smaller autonomous machines.  The main thought behind going electric is to use a lot of machines vs. a few big machines.  You will see a different approach to "how" fieldwork is done.  Maybe 5-10 smaller machines vs. 1 or 2 monsters in a field.  Time of day would be irrelevant and night work wouldn't use lighting.

BTW, they have been way ahead of the auto industry in self driving for a long time.  They are no dummies on the marketing side.  They know that farmers still like to be in the seat.  The technology to remove operators has been in place for quite some time. 

If the big players in the auto industry had looked over their shoulders at Deere, they would have created a self driving system that actually worked.  The auto manufactures have taken the wrong path.  Their sensor systems are way too prone to failure and they don't manage traffic flow.  It's basically a nick knack trinket system for marketing teams to "add" value to the cars.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, favoritos said:

I always wonder why some of these stories circulate.  Anyone can write a story.  It takes another person to have the motivation and move it to the next, and the next. .

There is some irony to the discussion.  JD has been working on electric for quite some time.  They were deep into testing before we saw Tesla on the road.  Their testing has been mostly in smaller autonomous machines.  The main thought behind going electric is to use a lot of machines vs. a few big machines.  You will see a different approach to "how" fieldwork is done.  Maybe 5-10 smaller machines vs. 1 or 2 monsters in a field.  Time of day would be irrelevant and night work wouldn't use lighting.

BTW, they have been way ahead of the auto industry in self driving for a long time.  They are no dummies on the marketing side.  They know that farmers still like to be in the seat.  The technology to remove operators has been in place for quite some time. 

If the big players in the auto industry had looked over their shoulders at Deere, they would have created a self driving system that actually worked.  The auto manufactures have taken the wrong path.  Their sensor systems are way too prone to failure and they don't manage traffic flow.  It's basically a nick knack trinket system for marketing teams to "add" value to the cars.

It is a giant leap from GPS/RTK navigation in a field with fixed situations for avoidance.  Agriculture self driving is like Kindergarten compared to the dynamic situations on roadways.

Recent development has actually been in the opposite direction as you are claiming.  Just look at new systems deployed by JD.  The X9 1100 is a gigantic machine, made to replace 2 large machines.

There isn’t any electric designs in the pipeline for large machinery, it’s just not practical yet. Small and utility machines are a possibility, but are nowhere near a reality.  

We will keep seeing large, diesel powered implements for the foreseeable future.  Fuel burn and self driving are the top focused development areas.

Neal

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

It is a giant leap from GPS/RTK navigation in a field with fixed situations for avoidance.  Agriculture self driving is like Kindergarten compared to the dynamic situations on roadways.

Recent development has actually been in the opposite direction as you are claiming.  Just look at new systems deployed by JD.  The X9 1100 is a gigantic machine, made to replace 2 large machines.

There isn’t any electric designs in the pipeline for large machinery, it’s just not practical yet. Small and utility machines are a possibility, but are nowhere near a reality.  

We will keep seeing large, diesel powered implements for the foreseeable future.  Fuel burn and self driving are the top focused development areas.

Neal

X9 1100 is an over priced turd 

7 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

I completely understand what you are saying, but there is another side.

Testing and development is going in two directions. 

Bigger is better when you have operators in the machine.  I do agree that there is not any current technology that can be retrofitted to make the big stuff work as electric. 

There is a lot of data capture being done with the big machines to help develop the autonomous side.

The guidance systems don't have much need for dynamic situations with an operator either.  It wouldn't be money well spent if they loaded the machines with even more sensors.  (It has been a fact for years that simply flipping a switch could take the operator out of the seat.)  The part of their approach that I do like is how the guidance is based on true location.  It's close to drive by wire for accuracy.  Ironically, the machine to machine communication in fields has been slow to launch.  The tech has not been embraced by farmers.  Subscriber fees have not helped. 

Autos still need sensors to tell them they are in their lane.  Autos also do not communicate with each other.  The big shots will continue to resist true across the board vehicle to vehicle communication.  That would be a big deal if it happened.  Imagine flying through intersections without the need for stopping.  Stop and go traffic would be done with flow managed vehicles.  There is a lot of room for energy savings on the road.  It all adds up.

I'm not really a fan of going autonomous with farming.  It is still a big part of farming to be in the field and look at the crop.  If that is gone, why bother being a farmer.  It concerns me the direction we are headed with the corporate business structure that is almost necessary in today's market.  Smaller autonomous farm vehicles are a better fit with factory farming.

I seriously believe that the last generation of family farmers has already been born.  That is not a good thing.