Check your account email address ×

Car loan defaults

These numbers are staggering yikes

Automotive research firm Edmunds reported that consumers' average monthly car loan payment hit a record of $656 for new vehicles and $546 for used vehicles in May. The average annual percentage rate for new vehicles hit 5.1%, the highest level seen since March 2020, and the average loan term for a used vehicle hit a record of 70.8 months.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/ford-car-loan-delinquencies

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Damn....those are friggen mortgages.  Have only bought a couple brand new cars in my lifetime. Usually buy a couple years old, and let the original owner take the hit but used is still pricey these days.

• Gold Member
25 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

we have folks financing an 80k denali . 950 for 84. that would cause me to lose sleep

Ya I work with one of those guys bought it last year new a 3500 Denali he said his payment was 900. The average new car price in the USA is 47k which is what ??8-900 for a normal 5yr loan just freakin crazy. I’ll run my paid for junk into the ground.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Damn....those are friggen mortgages.  Have only bought a couple brand new cars in my lifetime. Usually buy a couple years old, and let the original owner take the hit but used is still pricey these days.

Those type of people have the "look at me" personality until it all goes sour. Then it turns into the "now look at you" personality. :lmao:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Ya I work with one of those guys bought it last year new a 3500 Denali he said his payment was 900. The average new car price in the USA is 47k which is what ??8-900 for a normal 5yr loan just freakin crazy. I’ll run my paid for junk into the ground.

I swung into the local Jeep dealer just to look around and they have a new Grand Wagoneer on the lot…looks loaded and it’s the “woody” version….109,000 smackers for that thing…holy hell!🤣

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

I swung into the local Jeep dealer just to look around and they have a new Grand Wagoneer on the lot…looks loaded and it’s the “woody” version….109,000 smackers for that thing…holy hell!🤣

no fiat worth that. holy shit. but those gladiators are 50k for a loaded one. 1942 technology here today...

• Like 1

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

😂 crazy ain’t it. I did the same thing few weeks back. I saw a new gladiator I thought looked cool. The dealer added lift wheels/tires some other crap. I was like man I’m gonna buy this if it’s like 30-40ish. I walk up to the sticker and turn around laughing at my wife and say yup nevermind.868F2F30-F353-45B3-945F-3D279163575C.thumb.png.02b10b9c0c392e7edbc4b2c17807e605.png

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Cmon pull the trigger, you'll just have to heed the advice from the cop in First Blood.................."cmon Leroy, sling that paint boy" :lmao:

Moody's is reporting payments of over $700 per month.  You gotta wonder what goes through someone's head when they sign up for a $700 a month payment on a depreciating asset at 5%+ APR.

A report from Moody's Analytics found that typical monthly car payments hit a record high of $712 in May. Kelley Blue Book data found that new vehicle prices averaged $47,148 in May, the second highest on record.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Those type of people have the "look at me" personality until it all goes sour. Then it turns into the "now look at you" personality. :lmao:

Bought my 1980 Toyota pickup new when I was fresh outta high school...Dad made me make every payment and on time. It was a good learning experience on how to manage money responsibly. Then bought a 1985 Iroc new, also never missed or was never late on payments, it was a great way to build up credit but the 323.00 (a lot for back then)a month payment got old real quick.  Never been late or missed a payment on anything from mortgages to credit card payments...reward is an 822 credit score and the availability to get a loan in a flash if needed.

I have never bought a new car since that IROC and certainly not in the market at this time.....most of my used cars have now appreciated with these crazy prices. 

58 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Cmon pull the trigger, you'll just have to heed the advice from the cop in First Blood.................."cmon Leroy, sling that paint boy" :lmao:

Fuck…even if I could sling that much I sure as hell wouldn’t drop a Buck ‘09 on a Jeep!🤣😜

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

😂 crazy ain’t it. I did the same thing few weeks back. I saw a new gladiator I thought looked cool. The dealer added lift wheels/tires some other crap. I was like man I’m gonna buy this if it’s like 30-40ish. I walk up to the sticker and turn around laughing at my wife and say yup nevermind.868F2F30-F353-45B3-945F-3D279163575C.thumb.png.02b10b9c0c392e7edbc4b2c17807e605.png

Yep. Saw a stock one at dealer. $85000 Canadian

31 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Bought my 1980 Toyota pickup new when I was fresh outta high school...Dad made me make every payment and on time. It was a good learning experience on how to manage money responsibly. Then bought a 1985 Iroc new, also never missed or was never late on payments, it was a great way to build up credit but the 323.00 (a lot for back then)a month payment got old real quick.  Never been late or missed a payment on anything from mortgages to credit card payments...reward is an 822 credit score and the availability to get a loan in a flash if needed.

I have never bought a new car since that IROC and certainly not in the market at this time.....most of my used cars have now appreciated with these crazy prices. 

I paid about $16,000 in 1990 for a brand new mustang LX.

In 1982 when I got in the car business interest rates were 18-20%. Chevrolet came out with the Cavalier and it was about $7500. GMAC came out with 48 month terms and people were going out of their minds thinking that 4 years was forever. $200 a month was about the breaking point for payments. Times have changed!!

47 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

And that……is the issue.  Wages haven’t kept up.

Moto will be your best friend now:lol:

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Fortunately I do own a vehicle that appreciates. That’s a rarity lol

Yeah, you got one of the ole school gems...right?

My Vipers have nearly doubled in price over the last 2 years on Ebay...whether or not they are actually selling, not sure but looks to be an investment at this point, no matter what.

Thought the EV push may hurt the IC engine but apparently not.

3 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Moto will be your best friend now:lol:

Yeah, you got one of the ole school gems...right?

My Vipers have nearly doubled in price over the last 2 years on Ebay...whether or not they are actually selling, not sure but looks to be an investment at this point, no matter what.

Thought the EV push may hurt the IC engine but apparently not.

Yeah 1969 Nova SS

EV may eventually be mainstream for the younger generation but still a lot of youngins into old school iron. 
Vipers are wicked. Nice cars :bc:

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1