Check your account email address ×

The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

31 minutes ago, Dave said:

Should be an interesting outcome...imo race loses all cred if its overturned...but if evidence of others recieving help is also submitted...and not dqed....what then? Lol

There is no evidence of others receiving help at this fuel stop because no one else received assistance.  As soon as the first team was through, the locals at Huntington bible camp realized they should not have touched the sleds.  

This assistance was minor and did not give TnT an advantage even in the slightest.  They had a 77 minute lead with only 250 river miles left in the race.  But the rule is clear and it's the drivers responsibility to enforce the rule.  The rule has been in place since 2011.  Prior to 2011, the top teams would ensure a stop go/splash and dash pit was set up for them at this location or close to it.  It was so uncontrolled that the ID stepped in and made this rule.  

ID claims (and there are lots of witnesses) that they reminded all the racers at the drivers meetings in Nome (before the guys head south to Fairbanks) that no outside assistance would be allowed.  The no touch rule was 100% in affect.  TnT just had a mental lapse.  And they didn't immediately tell the Race Marshal when they reached Tanana.  In fact they claimed that they didn't know anyone had touched the sleds.  

19 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

There is no evidence of others receiving help at this fuel stop because no one else received assistance.  As soon as the first team was through, the locals at Huntington bible camp realized they should not have touched the sleds.  

This assistance was minor and did not give TnT an advantage even in the slightest.  They had a 77 minute lead with only 250 river miles left in the race.  But the rule is clear and it's the drivers responsibility to enforce the rule.  The rule has been in place since 2011.  Prior to 2011, the top teams would ensure a stop go/splash and dash pit was set up for them at this location or close to it.  It was so uncontrolled that the ID stepped in and made this rule.  

ID claims (and there are lots of witnesses) that they reminded all the racers at the drivers meetings in Nome (before the guys head south to Fairbanks) that no outside assistance would be allowed.  The no touch rule was 100% in affect.  TnT just had a mental lapse.  And they didn't immediately tell the Race Marshal when they reached Tanana.  In fact they claimed that they didn't know anyone had touched the sleds.  

Sooooo.....maybe there should have been crowd control perhaps....i think it would have been different if it was someone they actually knew....but rules are rules I guess.

43 minutes ago, Dave said:

Sooooo.....maybe there should have been crowd control perhaps....i think it would have been different if it was someone they actually knew....but rules are rules I guess.

Oh yea.  Next year there will be more clarification.  MAybe even an official check point or something.  I have no idea really.  The fast guys need fuel to make the 120 miles.  The slow guys don't.  15 gallons will not make it 120 miles for the fast teams.  

Hey Tom, re this, " Just got back to civilization after 3 grueling days at beautiful Hot Spring Resort where over 60% of the guests were 25 year old asian females that weighted 115lbs.  Wowza was that hard to take........... "

A dozen or so pics would of done wonders for all us guys that have been suffering thru this DQ saga. It would of been a great diversion. LOL Hopefully you haven,t had a chance to post them yet, but looking forward to seeing them.

Out of curiosity, is it something about the Northern Lights and fertility that attract all these Asians up there ?

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

I would think having the driver stop fueling and burping adding fuel takes longer so having assistance saves time and thus gives the drivers an advantage

Correct, but in this case, the added fuel that burping allows to be put in the tank wasn't even needed.

24 minutes ago, hunt_ak said:

Correct, but in this case, the added fuel that burping allows to be put in the tank wasn't even needed.

Imo it shouldnt be up to the racers to control the spectators....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

You know a shit ton more about it and how it all work's , Tommy , but I still think those poor kids got stiffed .     :bc:

• Like 2

• Gold Member

I would be curious if this sled burping happened at other check points.....  If it saved you say 5 minutes a check point by using outside assistance that accumalates over the course of all the check points over the race.  Also it may put you ahead on x amount of teams near the beginning that may put you in position to ride on a less whooped out trail. essentially making your time quicker between check points do to a less traveled trail in font of you.  

If only riders can touch the sled and a rider had to go hold the back of his teammates sled down so that he could get all the fuel in, that person wouldnt be able to focus and look at his sled while holdng the back down adding time to the stop

23 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I would be curious if this sled burping happened at other check points.....  If it saved you say 5 minutes a check point by using outside assistance that accumalates over the course of all the check points over the race.  Also it may put you ahead on x amount of teams near the beginning that may put you in position to ride on a less whooped out trail. essentially making your time quicker between check points do to a less traveled trail in font of you.  

If only riders can touch the sled and a rider had to go hold the back of his teammates sled down so that he could get all the fuel in, that person wouldnt be able to focus and look at his sled while holdng the back down adding time to the stop

You dont need 2 people to do it.

8 hours ago, Anler said:

Sounds like a set up by Arctic Cat. Hopefully skidoo sues the shit out of them.. :bc: 

it will turn out the same as doos last 2 loosing but hurt suits and pretty much every time they line up to a cat.

am I not correct that doo took out a a arm on the last leg any way and had to be pulled out of the drink from team cat so doo would have lost any way?

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

it will turn out the same as doos last 2 loosing but hurt suits and pretty much every time they line up to a cat.

am I not correct that doo took out a a arm on the last leg any way and had to be pulled out of the drink from team cat so doo would have lost any way?

You would be correct sir

22 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

You have no idea what you're talking about.  Zippo.

This has been a rule for the last few years.  Iron Dog specifically reminded the racers of this rule at several race meetings.  There are no race officials at this refueling point so they had to make the rule specific and harsh.  The rule was read aloud for all the racers to hear just 1.5 days before the infraction.  

It doesn't matter which team was being assisted at this refuelling location, the Iron Dog's hands were tied.  They absolutely had to enforce the rule.  If they hadn't then every team who finished behind Team 8 would have a prima facie case against the Iron Dog.  Even the sponsors and manufacturers of the slighted teams would have sued.  

Other racers have said that Davis told them in the racers meeting that if locals touched there sleds they wouldnt be DQ'd.  Are the other racers lying about this from the meeting?

19 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

All you have to do is stand on the sled and move around as it is fueling , maybe a 1/2 litre at best. But doo milage with the flash is not quite as advertised...lol

i can get a good 3-4 liters in the tank of my 800 after filling and then pushing down.  but it takes no time at all to push it down.  10 seconds maybe.

4 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

Other racers have said that Davis told them in the racers meeting that if locals touched there sleds they wouldnt be DQ'd.  Are the other racers lying about this from the meeting?

irrelevant they limped in on 1 ski after team cat helped yank them from the drink. unless U are saying team doo is so good they could still kick cats ass on 1 ski.

1 minute ago, snopro31 said:

i can get a good 3-4 liters in the tank of my 800 after filling and then pushing down.  but it takes no time at all to push it down.  10 seconds maybe.

not even 10 seconds U can hold the nozzle and bounce on the ass of the sled done deal. hell a guy could pretty EZ hold a almost empty 6gal can and stand on his rear bumper.

that would not have helped with catching a ice shelf though