Check your account email address ×

The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

i spent 10 years and somewhere around 20k miles on unstudded sleds,  my ice cobra gives just enough for when we end up riding on logging roads that can be icy but they are certainly not comparable to a studded track. I want my ass end to be loose though some hate that.   I'm going back to unstudded for next year as i want a bit more track under me so going to a 2 inch track.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CaddisFly said:

After the race, you could always contact Olstad and Minnick and ask if they use Rick's clutching. You could then post their answer here.

We know the answer bud. 

The dick lies so much he believes his own lies. It's Fawkin hilarious

No way in hell is  sponsored race team since 2002 using some wanna be clutch kit. I think they know a thing or two along with race department sponsoring them 

This blow hole north star Rick  is a joke. He constantly brags himself up and cuts others down. That right there is enough reason for commonsense to kick in and not buy his stuff, his bullshit .

I love watching this tool. He does it to himself 

20120728-133053.jpg

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Mowhawkcat said:

Can you prove that?

We wanna catch north star in his lies again 

NSR posted pics of the race teams sleds in his shop on his FB page..I dont agree with NSR's approach, but Im pretty sure he is telling the truth, even had pics of their sleds with his shop logo on the sides.. his FB page is public so you can see it yourself.. I just dont want you guys putting your foots in your mouths, I think he is fishing and then will be posting up those pics to STFU you guys..:bc:

• Gold Member

I bought one of NSR kit's  for my 2015 switch back 600. I started  at 95mph top end. Then I  put in 144  studs and my top  end dropped to  93 mph. After installing the  kit  I'm  at 99mph. And I picked up  about 4 mPGA, everything  he told me  was true.

Yup he's a  no nothing, self promoting blow hole. 

I love the internets.

1 minute ago, joesale said:

I bought one of NSR kit's  for my 2015 switch back 600. I started  at 95mph top end. Then I  put in 144  studs and my top  end dropped to  93 mph. After installing the  kit  I'm  at 99mph. And I picked up  about 4 mPGA, everything  he told me  was true.

Yup he's a  no nothing, self promoting blow hole. 

I love the internets.

I'm also waiting on some of his kits to come in, I have not heard of one person complaining about his kit after install.. We have the same sled so im liking your gains, Ive topped out at 93mph stock, no studs and the MPG is just awful..I hear that kit is awesome, anxious to get it.

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I'm also waiting on some of his kits to come in, I have not heard of one person complaining about his kit after install.. We have the same sled so im liking your gains, Ive topped out at 93mph stock, no studs and the MPG is just awful..I hear that kit is awesome, anxious to get it.

That's  on my original  belt  with 1800  miles. The trail  was pretty much an ice base with  about 1-2" of snow for the top end.  Pushing  through  about  6-8" on the lake  is could  only get to  about 95 mph. Still  out pulls  the 800'same till about 70mph then  they  walk  me pretty good. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

There are no rules against prestudded ice ripper style tracks.  Several teams have attempted to use the Ice Ripper and Ice Attack tracks in the past.  While there is no doubt these types of tracks would eliminate the chance of a stud pull through they just don't offer the kind of traction these racers need on the terrain they race on. 

I have an Ice Ripper track on a 600 ProX and and an Ice Attack on an IQr I've used at Arctic Man for several years.  These tracks definitely offer increased acceleration and breaking over a non studded track they are not even close to the traction of a properly studded track using conventional studs.  The simple fact that a conventionally studded track allows up to .375" if stud above the lug of the track assures that a it will have significantly more traction than a prestudded track, especially under hard deceleration.  These guys are racing on hard packed snow and ice for a large portion of the race.  

Most are using 1.25" lugged tracks.  Less lug flick than the 1.5" tracks.......... :news:

Yeah the traditional studs penetrate deeper, but there's roughly 2.5x as many points on the prestudded ones. The traction gap is smaller than most people think it is IMO. Are any teams running more than 2 per? Like a 144 stud setup?

11 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

Yeah the traditional studs penetrate deeper, but there's roughly 2.5x as many points on the prestudded ones. The traction gap is smaller than most people think it is IMO. Are any teams running more than 2 per? Like a 144 stud setup?

2 per is the limit. The difference in traction between an ice ripper and a conventional track with studs is huge. Especially under braking. If it werent, everyone on every cross country race circuit would be using an ice ripper. The only time ice ripper tracks are used in racing is when push through studs are illegal. 

I have multiple sleds with studded tracks. Ice ripper and conventional. 

3 hours ago, Mowhawkcat said:

Can you prove that?

We wanna catch north star in his lies again 

I just sent Nick a text.  He may be a little tied up or resting now so I don't know if/when he will respond.  Team 16 sleds are very fast as proven by their run north from Unalakleet to Nome. They had a few MPH on everyone.  If Ricks clutch kits are the reason it's possible Team 16 will probably just say they are using stock clutching as not to give away one of their secrets.  IF Rick has pictures of Olstad/Minnicks sleds in his shop and a picture of his decal on their sled then he may be legit.  From the sounds of others who posted here today his clutch kits work and offer some definite improvements.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

The sleds of the top 3 teams into Nope are in perfect condition and will require nothing more than routine maintenance for their trip south.  

Cool video Momo.  Thanks for sharing. :bc:

When will they be leaving Nome for the run to the finish line?

17 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

I just sent Nick a text.  He may be a little tied up or resting now so I don't know if/when he will respond.  Team 16 sleds are very fast as proven by their run north from Unalakleet to Nome. They had a few MPH on everyone.  If Ricks clutch kits are the reason it's possible Team 16 will probably just say they are using stock clutching as not to give away one of their secrets.  IF Rick has pictures of Olstad/Minnicks sleds in his shop and a picture of his decal on their sled then he may be legit.  From the sounds of others who posted here today his clutch kits work and offer some definite improvements.

you can see his shops logo on the sled in the video momo posted, just behind the A-arm.. Look the guy is a buffoon, but he is really knowledgable, and his clutch kit get nothing but raves, he cant keep them in stock..I have been waiting for a couple weeks for the helix's to come in to get mine..

JPEG_20170222_081031.jpg

Edited by Rigid1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

When will they be leaving Nome for the run to the finish line?

8am tomorrow morning is my guess.  

Once all teams are done with their maintenance today the time they took will be added to their course time and it may change their standings in the race.  For example; if the first place team and the second place team are separated  by 10 minutes into Nome, and the first place team does 20 minutes of work and the second place team does 5 minutes then the second place team becomes the first place team and leaves Nome 5 minutes before the second place team.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

you can see his shops logo on the sled in the video momo posted, just behind the A-arm.. Look the guy is a buffoon, but he is really knowledgable, and his clutch kit get nothing but raves, he cant keep them in stock..I have been waiting for a couple weeks for the helix's to come in to get mine..

JPEG_20170222_081031.jpg

Looks fairly legit to me. :bc: 

3 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Looks fairly legit to me. :bc: 

Im not trying to stick up for the guy, like i said, he is a buffoon. I just dont want any of you guys to stick your foot in your mouths,,..:bc:

very cool pics of the sleds btw!!!

Edited by Rigid1

22 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Im not trying to stick up for the guy, like i said, he is a buffoon. I just dont want any of you guys to stick your foot in your mouths,,..:bc:

very cool pics of the sleds btw!!!

I've never heard of the guy before Yesterday but from the sounds of things his clutch kits work pretty good.  Anytime you can keep  pace with or walk away from Tyler Aklestad on his very well prepped XRS you have a sled that gets it.  I would have never guessed that Team 16 could out run Team 8 from Wht Mtn to Nome.  

4 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

NSR posted pics of the race teams sleds in his shop on his FB page..I dont agree with NSR's approach, but Im pretty sure he is telling the truth, even had pics of their sleds with his shop logo on the sides.. his FB page is public so you can see it yourself.. I just dont want you guys putting your foots in your mouths, I think he is fishing and then will be posting up those pics to STFU you guys..:bc:

well i am doubting they really shipped sleds to NH to be clutched, never heard of the guy before and he's about 90 minutes from me.  

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

well i am doubting they really shipped sleds to NH to be clutched, never heard of the guy before and he's about 90 minutes from me.  

hey, im just going by what I saw, dont shoot the messenger... they might be running some other stuff he makes, he has this plate to go over the drive shaft bearing that has a zerk, so you can grease it..Guy is not an idiot, he just totally acts like one..lol..:smack:

10 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

hey, im just going by what I saw, dont shoot the messenger... they might be running some other stuff he makes, he has this plate to go over the drive shaft bearing that has a zerk, so you can grease it..Guy is not an idiot, he just totally acts like one..lol..:smack:

i looked on their site,  doesn't seem to be a bad operation theres several small tuners around here and setup wise prob more experience on whats in reality a trail sled rather than the mountain sleds most out in AK do.  

3 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

i looked on their site,  doesn't seem to be a bad operation theres several small tuners around here and setup wise prob more experience on whats in reality a trail sled rather than the mountain sleds most out in AK do.  

I agree with that 100%.  Not many guys around here mess with the clutching on their trail sleds. Sure maybe a different primary spring or your off the shelf belly buster weights but not a sled specific set up to make the overall performance as good as possible. 

But like you said, mountain guys do spend fair amount of time and money on clutching and clutch kits though.

51 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

I agree with that 100%.  Not many guys around here mess with the clutching on their trail sleds. Sure maybe a different primary spring or your off the shelf belly buster weights but not a sled specific set up to make the overall performance as good as possible. 

But like you said, mountain guys do spend fair amount of time and money on clutching and clutch kits though.

Same with atving....lots of clutching set up involved with all the different tire sizes and what not. :bc:

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Same with atving....lots of clutching set up involved with all the different tire sizes and what not. :bc:

Yep for sure.  What works in the dunes and desert is not nearly as effective in the mud or the mountains.  

I pretty much confirmed that Team 16 is using North Star clutching.  Nick didn't respond back but I asked one of his good friends and he confirmed that Team 16 is using clutching from some guy back east and the guys sticker is on the side of their sleds.  He also said they only changed one belt in all of their practicing which was a few thousand miles.  Nick was impressed enough with belt life to make a point of mentioning it.  

• Like 1