Check your account email address ×

The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

8 minutes ago, ckf said:

There are a lot of pissed off Iron Dog fans in Alaska right now.

Some as elsewhere as well.I was involved in the old I-500 and helped some guys in the Hurricanna.Tell me about politics in a big race.What I found was the racers where all on the same page. the officials not so much.The guys out in the field are great to the most part,the others well? they have biased and other influences and want to be security guards at the mall so to speak.Not talking away from there good work,but I don't know how things work in Alaska.

2 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Looks like team 8 must have crashed on the way into Fairbanks , rt front suspension was missing on one sled

There is so much we don't know. they were DNQ at frankies hood. You know the Sheedoo can carry on.The AC might have go get fresh gas.

5 hours ago, snopro31 said:

wonder if team 41 is gonna let 8 ride through the finish line first

They all 4 rode together from tanana till about 10 miles from the finish line.  The first three sleds went across an ice shelf in the river and the third sled broke through the ice  tyson slammed into the ice shelf and ripped the right front side of his sled off  team 41 stopped and helped them get the sled out of the river and back on the trail  about that time team 17 showed up and was about to pass them all so team 41 jumped back on their sleds and raced to the finish line  

team 41 first

team 17 second

team 8 third but likely disqualified still  

4 hours ago, ckf said:

The pics of team 41, and other teams were from official checkpoints where it is allowed.

Exactly correct. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

They all 4 rode together from tanana till about 10 miles from the finish line.  The first three sleds went across an ice shelf in the river and the third sled broke through the ice  tyson slammed into the ice shelf and ripped the right front side of his sled off  team 41 stopped and helped them get the sled out of the river and back on the trail  about that time team 17 showed up and was about to pass them all so team 41 jumped back on their sleds and raced to the finish line  

team 41 first

team 17 second

team 8 third but likely disqualified still  

Exactly correct. 

Did you make it to Fairbanks today?

I have lots of pictures of the finish. Everyone is glad its over. Most of the people i spoke to at the finish line understand why the decision to DQ team 8 was made. They dont like it but the do agree with it. 

Team 41 is the winner. They didnt want to win this way but they won none the less. 

Ryan simons is the first non-alaskan to win the iron dog. Huizy will love the fact that he is canadian. Hahahah

congrats to Cory and Ryan. Big props to you guys. 

• Like 3

Just now, ckf said:

Did you make it to Fairbanks today?

Yep. Made it about 30 minutes before the winners crossed the finish line. It was another great finish. Not what anyone wanted but a great finish none the less

we are headed to a Hot Springs Resort about 50 miles from fairbanks in the wilderness. There is no cell coverage for ATT there so im about to be MIA 

i sent lots of pictures to ak hunt. He will likely share them on alaska life. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Back Country Rebel said:

I have lots of pictures of the finish. Everyone is glad its over. Most of the people i spoke to at the finish line understand why the decision to DQ team 8 was made. They dont like it but the do agree with it. 

Team 41 is the winner. They didnt want to win this way but they won none the less. 

Ryan simons is the first non-alaskan to win the iron dog. Huizy will love the fact that he is canadian. Hahahah

congrats to Cory and Ryan. Big props to you guys. 

Thanks for the great updates!  Kudos to all the teams. Especially the ones that limped their shit along til they could make repairs or finish like Team 8. I limped my busted shit back home about 40 miles at no faster than about 20 at the risk of wrecking. I could have quit sledding forever after I finally got off that wreck in my driveway. Shit. This race takes a lot of damn heart and "intestinal fortitude".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

The spot where they refueled was basically half way between Ruby and Tanana, about 60 miles from Tanana.  At race speed the 600 etecs get the same fuel economy as any other sled in the race, about 6MPG.  Can you get 10 gallons in the main tank of a modern doo without pushing down on the bumper?  How about while using a fueling jug?  TNT knew Davis/Simons needed repairs before they could leave Galena.  They didn't know how far back team 41 actually was but they new their lead was more than 24 minutes.

Rules are rules, you noticed it.

3 hours ago, gtserider said:

Something is funny,Where are all the pics of the other teams fueling on the river. Only one. Taken with a good camera. I'm not denying some rules were bent,But there is way more to this story. I honestly hope it comes out and maybe Tom can help with that.

The pics Tom showed here had people pushing the tunnel down.

The Falcons had a holding call with four minutes left in the Super Bowl that negated a Sanu reception and it also pushed them out of field goal range, rules are rules in sport.

2017-Iron-Dog-Team-8.jpg

Champions.

tom-brady-bill-belichick-super-bowl-51-c

Just now, Back Country Rebel said:

I posted a few pics on my facebook. If anyone wants to post them here feel free. Im out till tuesday. no ATT. cell coverage where we are headed. 

See ya. 

I'll grab a few and post them here :bc: