Check your account email address ×

The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Yes and then its the racers fault in the end...poor organization.

As much as they deserve the win, your right.  one rider is seated fueling the sled, he had to know someone was back there.

such a shame.

2 hours ago, old indy said:

As much as they deserve the win, your right.  one rider is seated fueling the sled, he had to know someone was back there.

such a shame.

Exactly.  Add to that the fact that Team 8 changed their story a few times when the Race Marshal tried to discuss this with them and you can see why things evolved like they did.

If pictures of Team 16 would have been posted in this exact same situation you can sure bet there would have been an immediate uproar about them breaking the rules and being DQ'd.  

The only place in the entire race where the drivers have to control who assists them and who touches their sleds is this refuelling point.  After the 2010 race, and several teams getting assistance between Ruby and Tanana, the ID decided they needed to have some rules in place that described the "how to's" of refuelling at an unofficial checkpoint.  Basically it say, {If you decide to refuel between Ruby and Tanana you must comply with X, Y& Z.  Failure to comply with X, Y&Z will result in immediate disqualifications}.  It doesn't get much more straight forward than that.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Exactly.  Add to that the fact that Team 8 changed their story a few times when the Race Marshal tried to discuss this with them and you can see why things evolved like they did.

If pictures of Team 16 would have been posted in this exact same situation you can sure bet there would have been an immediate uproar about them breaking the rules and being DQ'd.  

The only place in the entire race where the drivers have to control who assists them and who touches their sleds is this refuelling point.  After the 2010 race, and several teams getting assistance between Ruby and Tanana, the ID decided they needed to have some rules in place that described the "how to's" of refuelling at an unofficial checkpoint.  Basically it say, {If you decide to refuel between Ruby and Tanana you must comply with X, Y& Z.  Failure to comply with X, Y&Z will result in immediate disqualifications}.  It doesn't get much more straight forward than that.  

On the bold, credibility went out the window here.

This was the sticking point with me and overlooked by most.

Again, thanks for your reporting and commentary BCR!

2 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

That being said....if it was sooooo important in this area NOT to have someone other then the competitors touch their sleds it is the responsibility of the people running the race to have things in place to keep spectators away from the sleds. Like I said earlier its not like the racers dont  have more important things worry about.....

The racers are not at fault here imo.

Edited by Dave

1 minute ago, Dave said:

That being said....if it was sooooo important and this area NOT to have someone other then the competitors touch their sleds it is the responsibility of the people running the race to have things in place to keep spectators away from the sleds. Like I said earlier its not like the racers dont  have more important things worry about.....

The racers are not at fault here imo.

The racers didn't follow the rules.  Rules that were explicit, written and announced at the racers meeting just one day earlier.  How much more at fault could they have been?  

If it were a Polaris team that didn't follow the rules would you have given them a pass too?  

1 minute ago, Back Country Rebel said:

The racers didn't follow the rules.  Rules that were explicit, written and announced at the racers meeting just one day earlier.  How much more at fault could they have been?  

If it were a Polaris team that didn't follow the rules would you have given them a pass too?  

So the racers have to be in charge of crowd control?..give your head a shake man. :lol:

Wgaf what brand it was....

Edited by Dave

Just now, Dave said:

So the racers have to be in charge of crowd control?..give your head a shake man. :lol:

Only if they plan to provide their own fuel in the race.  When ID provides the fuel the racers aren't responsible for crowd control.  

This isn't a new rule.  Everyone knew the rule.  Helping a team refuel their sleds in this section of the course is against the rules and everyone has known this for 6 years.  Everyone was reminded of the rule just one day before this.  Claiming that you didn't know anyone was touching your sled is not being truthful.  

If this rule weren't in place what would stop the well financed teams from having their pilot sitting trailside ready to refuel them?  What would stop the pilots from providing other assistance?  How do you make refueling outside of a checkpoint even for all of the race teams?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

The rules are the rules in sport, end of story.

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

Exactly.  Reminding competitors of the rules multiple times during the race is a courtesy provided by the race organization.  

How could the Iron Dog respond in any fashion other than DQ no matter which team broke the rules?  

13 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Only if they plan to provide their own fuel in the race.  When ID provides the fuel the racers aren't responsible for crowd control.  

This isn't a new rule.  Everyone knew the rule.  Helping a team refuel their sleds in this section of the course is against the rules and everyone has known this for 6 years.  Everyone was reminded of the rule just one day before this.  Claiming that you didn't know anyone was touching your sled is not being truthful.  

If this rule weren't in place what would stop the well financed teams from having their pilot sitting trailside ready to refuel them?  What would stop the pilots from providing other assistance?  How do you make refueling outside of a checkpoint even for all of the race teams?

Great questions, and it makes it obvious why there are rules.

It's always a challenge in racing to make the rules competitive so that the teams on a tight budget can compete against the well financed teams.

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Yep.  And of you are a racer or competitor in any sport, and you are unsure of the rules or think you can just "wing it", well......this 2018 spring check may just be for you!

DOO DQ.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yep.  And of you are a racer or competitor in any sport, and you are unsure of the rules or think you can just "wing it", well......this 2018 spring check may just be for you!

DOO DQ.jpg

Ouch

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

DOO DQ.jpg

The plan for next year is to say it was a Team Arctic sled................

18_ren_xrs_grn_quarter.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dave said:

So in the future teams will need security to keeps spectators away from their sleds in this area....fucking hilarious.. :lol:

I don't know about all that.  These guys aren't "bum rushed" by chugs trying to water them down or anything.  And how big of crowds do you think are at these fueling stations in the middle of "Egypt"?  If you pulled up to a pump and two retards ran out and jumped on it, do you think you'd be able to fend them off?  Or would you just say, "Meh.....I'm appreciative of the help to get the last 3/4 gallon of gas in my sled as fast as possible."

:lol:

My point is, it's really not too much to ask that the racer be in charge of his own vehicle at all times.  I hate it for these boys but like I said, I don't think this "DQ" happened lightly,  IMO, an official deciding to let the rules "float" or saying "well....we can let this time go",  is much worse than acting over zealously.

7 minutes ago, Dave said:

So in the future teams will need security to keeps spectators away from their sleds in this area....fucking hilarious.. :lol:

Nope, wrong again Dave.  They will just need to tell people handing them fuel jugs, and providing them assistance to stop.  And when they do inadvertently receive assistance they should not deny there was any assistance.  In addition they should try not to have multiple different stories on what took place if they are confronted by an official.  And if they are asked to provide written testimony on what they think took place they should ensure their testimony doesn't conflict with what other eye witnesses have stated.  

Edited by Back Country Rebel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The plan for next year is to say it was a Team Arctic sled................

18_ren_xrs_grn_quarter.jpg

Yuck.  Those things look like catfish....but adding the green does make it more appealing to me. :lol:

Poo not Cat.JPG

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I don't know about all that.  These guys aren't "bum rushed" by chugs trying to water them down or anything.  And how big of crowds do you think are at these fueling stations in the middle of "Egypt"?  If you pulled up to a pump and two retards ran out and jumped on it, do you think you'd be able to fend them off?  Or would you just say, "Meh.....I'm appreciative of the help to get the last 3/4 gallon of gas in my sled as fast as possible."

:lol:

My point is, it's really not too much to ask that the racer be in charge of his own vehicle at all times.  I hate it for these boys but like I said, I don't think this "DQ" happened lightly,  IMO, an official deciding to let the rules "float" or saying "well....we can let this time go",  is much worse than acting over zealously.

Your point would be more valid if it was actually a video of the infraction....unless I missed the video all they have is a picture.

4 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Nope, wrong again Dave.  They will just need to tell people handing them fuel jugs, and providing them assistance to stop.  And when they do inadvertently receive assistance they should not deny there was any assistance.  In addition they should try not to have multiple different stories on what took place if they are confronted by an official.  And if they are asked to provide written testimony on what they think took place they should ensure their testimony doesn't conflict with what other eye witnesses have stated.  

Once you brought up the brand thing....i couldnt care less what you say now. :bc:

Just now, Dave said:

Your point would be more valid if it was actually a video of the infraction....unless I missed the video all they have is a picture.

Pictures and testimony from many different witnesses including the two racers themselves.