Check your account email address ×

Cats new turbo 2 stroke

Rod

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, HSR said:

I wonder if it'll see production???  Cat guys would love to have Polaris 850 power :thumbsup:

So would the skidoo guys!!

That's a photo from their patent application a few years back.  You can bet they will be using that technology when their turbo mountain sled comes out.  Patents are too expensive to file and not actually use the technology.

2 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

That's a photo from their patent application a few years back.  You can bet they will be using that technology when their turbo mountain sled comes out.  Patents are too expensive to file and not actually use the technology.

No , manufacturers file patents all the time on stuff they never use. Too expensive 😂 that’s funny 

51 minutes ago, HSR said:

No , manufacturers file patents all the time on stuff they never use. Too expensive 😂 that’s funny 

Correct.   The main expense is legal fees which they have staff attorneys getting paid anyway.   It's the small guys that it costs an arm and a leg.

3 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Coming out in 2040

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Correct.   The main expense is legal fees which they have staff attorneys getting paid anyway.   It's the small guys that it costs an arm and a leg.

Some parents don't get used and when that happens it is a massive waste of time and money.  The stuff I push forward is going to be used and will make money. 

Just because we have staff lawyers doesn't mean these are cheap.  Strong IP is very expensive.  Usually it requires filing in multiple different countries as well, not just the US.  Staff lawyers often get assistance from outside council which charge big bucks.

Look at what Cat has filed in the past and you will see most of it applied in their product.

Here is an interesting patent filed in 2019.  It's a snow bike with the exhaust through the frame and a CVT transmission.  Remember how they narrowed up the new primary clutch, that's probably one reason why. 

A 400 cc single cylinder 2 stroke like the Blast would way outperform any 450 with a Timbersled conversion.  I would almost guarantee we see this in the next few years.

https://www.snowmobile.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Arctic-Cat-snowbike-snowmobile-patent-US20190144074.pdf

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Here is an interesting patent filed in 2019.  It's a snow bike with the exhaust through the frame and a CVT transmission.  Remember how they narrowed up the new primary clutch, that's probably one reason why. 

A 400 cc single cylinder 2 stroke like the Blast would way outperform any 450 with a Timbersled conversion.  I would almost guarantee we see this in the next few years.

https://www.snowmobile.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Arctic-Cat-snowbike-snowmobile-patent-US20190144074.pdf

Looks kind of Snohawk lite like.

12 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Some parents don't get used and when that happens it is a massive waste of time and money.  The stuff I push forward is going to be used and will make money. 

Just because we have staff lawyers doesn't mean these are cheap.  Strong IP is very expensive.  Usually it requires filing in multiple different countries as well, not just the US.  Staff lawyers often get assistance from outside council which charge big bucks.

Look at what Cat has filed in the past and you will see most of it applied in their product.

I have 7 myself....I know what's all involved.   Several assigned to a very large corporation.   They write them like pain med prescriptions whether there is serious intent to produce it or not.  Size of the company plays a major role. 

Edited by Highmark

43 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Patent trolls are real, and it’s lucrative.

8 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

Bet you were saying that back in the 60's

he's a dumbass.

Look at smart shocks. that's a very basic system. That can be improved.

The driveline leaves almost 60% of the power a motor makes. If they could figure out how to get 10 or 20% of the power they lose that would be a huge improvement. But there's nothing left to innovate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jtssrx said:

he's a dumbass.

Look at smart shocks. that's a very basic system. That can be improved.

The driveline leaves almost 60% of the power a motor makes. If they could figure out how to get 10 or 20% of the power they lose that would be a huge improvement. But there's nothing left to innovate. 

95% of snowmobilers don’t notice that shit.

Edited by Mainecat