Check your account email address ×

wrenchin sleds !!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 not beginner lessons!!11

f7ben

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yep....cocked, locked and ready to rock but I’ll be sure not to look at it sideways lest I bend something!!! 😜🤣😂

:lol: I bent one pulling it out of my truck

Bent one on a manhole cover doing 3mph.

seen prestone bend one good on a fucking paved bike trail and he bent a second one on a state trail the following year 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, f7ben said:

:lol: I bent one pulling it out of my truck

Bent one on a manhole cover doing 3mph.

seen prestone bend one good on a fucking paved bike trail and he bent a second one on a state trail the following year 

You and Preston....nuff said. 😆

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

You and Preston....nuff said. 😆

Every bud I have that has had one has bent them and most dont know where or when. I have changed a bunch. They are one of the worst designs ever put on a sled. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yep....cocked, locked and ready to rock but I’ll be sure not to look at it sideways lest I bend something!!! 😜🤣😂

:lol: 

Like I said, they aren't as fragile as most poke fun.  I did bend mine up a bit but I can be hard on stuff.  But I'm not a complete idiot and do my best not to hit immovable objects or otherwise, act like my machine is god like out there.  5000 miles on mine and while I got good at rebending and reshaping some of it, the mods stayed straight and intact without any brace kit.  It would  have never survived my crash I had on my Cat...but then again, that was an unmovable object...and a freak occurance that stiill fucked up my Cat pretty good.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

BTW I think the best course of action is to just revalve   the stock shocks and install a brace kit. No need for some new whiz bang horseshit!

TBH full coverage with a $250 deduc costs me $50 more than liability only,  i'd just insure it and if you tweak it let the insurance company total it and pay you out.  Easier than selling it after you ride it a couple hundred miles.  I would run a belly pan protector,  i sheared off my heat exchanger running my 09 without one.  if the boys going to ride with me a few times this year I think i will add one to his as they can be found cheap used.  

44 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Oh...one more little tip.  Take a 30 Torx and pull the one bolt for the seat to pull that "bat wing" off there for better access.  That think is a PIA.  

Number 8 in the diagram?  I haven't had much of an issue.  I do see guys replace it with a knurled screw that can be put on and taken off by hand.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

No sealant.  But, I've know people that drop a thin line on it anyway.  Dealers choice.  Just hand tighten those torx though...with a small ratchet.  They'll strip out if you try to overtorque and could crack the case.  Go by hand at first so you get the feel.  Then you can go to an impact drill like me and round a few out!  :lmao:

HOW DARE YOU CALL ME WHITE!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I origninally did the puller for a tough to reach doo spring if I remember right, then...realized it was faster than my regular one.  WIN!  Yuh...always been "cheap" as I get older, I'm getting cheaper and less tolerarant.  Not sure why on the "cheap" part but know why on the "less tolerant" part.   :lmao:

Yeah...braces are a gpod idea if it is going to be experiencing anything off trail but most certainly not a cure all.   A buddy put them on his and hit an ice ridge and, well....he rode it back without issue but,insurance companty "totalled it" because of two mods being bent.  Yuh...ouch.  On trail, it should be ok.  I never put them on mine but, I should have.  Those things are awfully "bendy".

Also, @Jimmy Snacks, like Benny said, not a bad idea to take a look to make sure you aren't "tweaked" a bit already.  Take a good look around where the A-arms are attached.  Look for symmetry between the sides. Check real good for "ripples" around the mounts.  They aren't as thin as they are made fun of  to be BUT....lightweight comes at a price. 

The track was replaced before so the chain case had been apart.  There was a thin line of sealant when I took it apart.  I just cleaned it up and put it back on.

10-4 on hand tight.  I heard of the cases cracking so I was doing it by the book, 12 ft-lbs in a crisscross pattern.  Apparently my small torque wrench will click at 120 inch pounds but not at 144 inch pounds.  Snapped one of those bolts right off.  I thought I was at least at 12 ft-lbs so I tightened the one bolt I had good access to, waiting for a click (there was no click).  Luckily, I just had to grab the exposed part of the back of the bolt and screw it out.  

Capture.JPG

2 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Number 8 in the diagram?  I haven't had much of an issue.  I do see guys replace it with a knurled screw that can be put on and taken off by hand.

The track was replaced before so the chain case had been apart.  There was a thin line of sealant when I took it apart.  I just cleaned it up and put it back on.

10-4 on hand tight.  I heard of the cases cracking so I was doing it by the book, 12 ft-lbs in a crisscross pattern.  Apparently my small torque wrench will click at 120 inch pounds but not at 144 inch pounds.  Snapped one of those bolts right off.  I thought I was at least at 12 ft-lbs so I tightened the one bolt I had good access to, waiting for a click (there was no click).  Luckily, I just had to grab the exposed part of the back of the bolt and screw it out.  

Capture.JPG

Yes.  No real need to replace it though...as least I never thought so.  The only thing I felt really warranted replacing were those stupid soft aluminum "flowerettes" on the skid.  Fucking gay.  I played hell getting them off so replaced them both with real hardware.  

262.JPG

266.JPG

26 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

TBH full coverage with a $250 deduc costs me $50 more than liability only,  i'd just insure it and if you tweak it let the insurance company total it and pay you out.  Easier than selling it after you ride it a couple hundred miles.  I would run a belly pan protector,  i sheared off my heat exchanger running my 09 without one.  if the boys going to ride with me a few times this year I think i will add one to his as they can be found cheap used.  

Fully insured and has a skid plate. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

BTW I think the best course of action is to just revalve   the stock shocks and install a brace kit. No need for some new whiz bang horseshit!

I had Ian revalve my shocks on my 2012 TNT and Goodwin on my 2015. Both times afterwards the sled rode way better. Stock calibrations are just shit on those things for some reason. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

I had Ian revalve my shocks on my 2012 TNT and Goodwin on my 2015. Both times afterwards the sled rode way better. Stock calibrations are just shit on those things for some reason. 

Goodwin is the one I could not remember...heard they are good as well.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Goodwin is the one I could not remember...heard they are good as well.

I use goodwin because they are kinda local. Its a bit of a drive but I can drop off and pick up.. They are great people there and good people to do business with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

If you can wait till Nov 15th I can service and revalve all of your shocks.  $30 for service and $5 to revalve.  All 4 shocks will fit in one Large USPS Flat Rate box.  The boxes are called Game Boxes and available directly from the post office.  $18.90 shipping each way.  If your post office doesn't have the Game Boxes you can order them for free directly from the USPS.  

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-large-flat-rate-board-game-box---gbfrb-P_GB_FRB

Even if you don't send them to me the Game Boxes are the way to go for shipping shocks.    

GB_FRB-L0.jpg

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

If you can wait till Nov 15th I can service and revalve all of your shocks.  $30 for service and $5 to revalve.  All 4 shocks will fit in one Large USPS Flat Rate box.  The boxes are called Game Boxes and available directly from the post office.  $18.90 shipping each way.  If your post office doesn't have the Game Boxes you can order them for free directly from the USPS.  

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-large-flat-rate-board-game-box---gbfrb-P_GB_FRB

Even if you don't send them to me the Game Boxes are the way to go for shipping shocks.    

GB_FRB-L0.jpg

Thanks Tom....definitely sending you the rears....Ben is hot on the trail of some Float Evols for the front.👍🏼🤣

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Thanks Tom....definitely sending you the rears....Ben is hot on the trail of some Float Evols for the front.👍🏼🤣

Ok sounds good.  Hopefully Ben knows that you need short shocks.  Evols that short are a little harder to find.  Typical Cat Takeoff's can't be shortened enough to fit on your sled.  

I forget the exact length but I think yours are somewhere around 16" long up front.  

Ok sounds good.  Hopefully Ben knows that you need short shocks.  Evols that short are a little harder to find.  Typical Cat Takeoff's can't be shortened enough to fit on your sled.  

I forget the exact length but I think yours are somewhere around 16" long up front.  

He seems to think they will bolt right in...Ben what say you? 🧐

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

He seems to think they will bolt right in...Ben what say you? 🧐

Well if you could measure your stock shocks that would be good.  A 19" long Cat shock can't be slugged down to 16".  Maybe Ben has a line on Evols that are already short.  

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The ones I'm on are off a skidoo rs and she said they are 18".....I dont recall the xp chassis sleds having that short of shocks

Jim needs to measure his shocks.  I thought the Carb'd TNT shocks were fairly short.  

Jim needs to measure his shocks.  I thought the Carb'd TNT shocks were fairly short.  

The standard XP's are shy of 17 inches if I recall.  XRS are 18's.

Most evols off a cat are gonna push 18 inch.

26 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

The standard XP's are shy of 17 inches if I recall.  XRS are 18's.

Most evols off a cat are gonna push 18 inch.

Most of those Evols on Cats are 18.5" and some are even 19" long.