Check your account email address ×

wrenchin sleds !!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 not beginner lessons!!11

f7ben

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

OK...let me measure here in the next hour and figure this out! 👍🏼🏼😎

It shouldn't really matter too much.  I'm near positive any moderm consumer, factory edition evol can be size it down to fit.  AKiQ can pull the specs and make it happen I'm sure (not speaking for him though).  BUT...if they are racing edition,they are 19" eye to eye so,not sure how much those can be chopped.

Just get a good price on them since they are gonna be gutted anyway.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Best I can tell doing things in my usual fucked up way is that they are 16.5” center to center.

You may have to take it off to get an accurate measurement.  Either way, an 18" shock can be slugged down to 16.5 but that is about as short as you can possibly make them.  An 18.5" shock can't be slugged down to 16.5"  There is only about 6.5" of stroke in an 18" shock.  A 2" slug takes away almost 30% of the total stroke.  The shock will bottom out inside before the suspension reaches full travel.  

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

It shouldn't really matter too much.  I'm near positive any moderm consumer, factory edition evol can be size it down to fit.  AKiQ can pull the specs and make it happen I'm sure (not speaking for him though).  BUT...if they are racing edition,they are 19" eye to eye so,not sure how much those can be chopped.

Just get a good price on them since they are gonna be gutted anyway.

No on the bold.  1.5" is about the max a shock can be shortened with a slug and still allow full suspension travel.

Most mountain sleds have super short shocks, like 16.5" or so.  An 18.5" shock can't properly be shortened enough to fit on a modern mountain sled.  

The last 2 years there have been dozens of Cat race shocks for sale (fronts).  $500 for the Pair.  All the mountain guys buy them up thinking they can be shortened to +/- 16" and have cool Evol shocks.  Doesn't work, can't get the 19" cat shock short enough to fit on a sled than needs 16.5" shocks.  

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I would make them 17" .....I'm sure that is what the x package shocks are. Maybe 17.25

I would make them the same length as the stock shocks.  A longer shock will increase ski pressure and may cause binding at full extension.  1/2" longer than stock is huge.  

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

I would make them the same length as the stock shocks.  A longer shock will increase ski pressure and may cause binding at full extension.  1/2" longer than stock is huge.  

No...same geometry and x package are longer.

Just did a search an Ian says the XP-TNT shocks are 17”

I'm willing to bet they are 16.875.  I know that 1/8" means nothing.  

For sure an 18" shock can be slugged down to 16.875.  Easily.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, AKIQPilot said:

I'm willing to bet they are 16.875.  I know that 1/8" means nothing.  

For sure an 18" shock can be slugged down to 16.875.  Easily.  

Well alright we are good to go...I’ve

got your number and I have no problem waiting until November 15th. Thanks for all your input! :thumbsup:

At 1500 miles it's time.  They are about due for the first oil change.  Hahaha

I was thinking it was time.  I also am planning to sell the sled at the end of season so I may hold off.  Thanks gnome! 

Well alright we are good to go...I’ve

got your number and I have no problem waiting until November 15th. Thanks for all your input! :thumbsup:

Sounds good.  if you are only sending the rears they will fit into a normal Medium Flat Rate Box from the USPS.  $13.65 shipping each way.  

No on the bold.  1.5" is about the max a shock can be shortened with a slug and still allow full suspension travel.

Most mountain sleds have super short shocks, like 16.5" or so.  An 18.5" shock can't properly be shortened enough to fit on a modern mountain sled.  

The last 2 years there have been dozens of Cat race shocks for sale (fronts).  $500 for the Pair.  All the mountain guys buy them up thinking they can be shortened to +/- 16" and have cool Evol shocks.  Doesn't work, can't get the 19" cat shock short enough to fit on a sled than needs 16.5" shocks.  

Ahhh....  :bc:

I'm was pretty sure most factory series evols are 18's though.   I know racing shocks are 19's.  Could be turbos are longer too?  :dunno:  

Hey @Jimmy Snacks Just out of curiousity, why did you decide to go with evols?  Why not stick with KYB's?  I think they are a better shock.  :dunno:

22 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I'm was pretty sure most factory series evols are 18's though.   I know racing shocks are 19's.  Could be turbos are longer too?  :dunno:  

Hey @Jimmy Snacks Just out of curiousity, why did you decide to go with evols?  Why not stick with KYB's?  I think they are a better shock.  :dunno:

KYB Pro 40's are expensive and heavy.  They may be better than the cheap QS3 Evols but they are way more expensive and way heavier and not nearly as cool looking.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

KYB Pro 40's are expensive and heavy.  They may be better than the cheap QS3 Evols but they are way more expensive and way heavier and not nearly as cool looking.  

25 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

This....especially the cool looking part!!🤣🤣

They will go perfectly with the BMP Can!!!!!!    Braaaaaappppppppppp!!!😜😜😜