Check your account email address ×

CDC Says It Overestimated Omicron Spread By More Than 200%

• Platinum Contributing Member

SMH.  So what else they all get wrong?  :news:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cdc-says-it-overestimated-omicron-spread-by-more-than-200/ar-AASdD71

he Omicron variant of COVID-19 isn’t quite as widespread as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) previously led people to believe.

The agency reported Dec. 20 that 73% of COVID-19 cases across the United States were Omicron, up from just 0.7% two weeks before. Now, that number has been revised all the way down to 22.5%.

CDC estimates of circulating variants including week of 12/25. Notably week of 12/18 estimate of Omicron revised from ~73% to 22.5% (just a tad different!).

Now saying 58.6% of variants are Omicron nationwide. 1/ pic.twitter.com/duYpLSEXQm

— Jason Gallagher (@JGPharmD) December 28, 2021

The data for the week of Dec. 12 to Dec. 18 was revised when the CDC released new data for the most recent available week, Dec. 19 to Dec. 25. Instead of Omicron becoming dominant between Dec. 12 and Dec. 18, Delta was still dominant at the time, making up 77% of cases.

Now, according to the most recent estimate for the week of Dec. 19 to Dec. 25, Omicron is dominant. It’s still only making up 58.6% of cases, though, not the 73% that was once reported.

The numbers may have been skewed because not all COVID-19 cases in the United States are sequenced to determine which variant they are, meaning the CDC can only estimate based on the cases that are sequenced and submitted to the agency.

Omicron is most prominent right now in Health and Human Services region 2 (New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands) and region 6 (Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma). There are two regions where Delta is still the dominant variant: region 1 (Connecticut, Maine, Massachussetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont) and region 7 (Iowa, Kansas Missouri and Nebraska).

The new data suggest Omicron may still have more room to spread than previously believed. While the variant is less severe than prior strains of the virus, it is believed to be far more contagious and can more easily infect vaccinated or naturally immune individuals.

• Like 1

What else can they get wrong? What’s left?  What have hey gotten right?

Like I said, if we are ever hit by something very serious….we’re just plain fucked.  I mean, it’s over. We have nobody at the helm that can even remotely be called a solid expert.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

What else can they get wrong? What’s left?  What have hey gotten right?

Like I said, if we are ever hit by something very serious….we’re just plain fucked.  I mean, it’s over. We have nobody at the helm that can even remotely be called a solid expert.

The most dangerous phrase in "news media."   

"Experts say."

• Like 2

It,s  100% time to open the world up . Let the scared, stay in their basements, with their useless masks on, to protect gramma, and keep getting their weekly booster.

Let the others go on with their daily lives.

Not much different than trying to cross the street during rush hour. Let everyone decide for themselves how much risk they are willing to take, and go from there. Everyone has to die at some point. When your time is up, your time is up. Great way to thin out the stupid.

Enough of this control bullshit. Let Darwin do his job. He,s kinda getting bored, with all this lock-down bullshit !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Frostynuts said:

It,s  100% time to open the world up . Let the scared, stay in their basements, with their useless masks on, to protect gramma, and keep getting their weekly booster.

Not much different than trying to cross the street during rush hour. Let everyone decide for themselves how much risk they are willing to take, and go from there. Everyone has to die at some point. When your time is up, your time is up. Great way to thin out the stupid.

Enough of this control bullshit. Let Darwin do his job. He,s kinda getting bored, with all this lock-down bullshit !

Nailed it.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Thats all Bambihands and DeepFaggot need to hear.  Fackcheck not required.

I remember when CNN did that show with the  “panel of experts” they assembled.  I’m sure they still do it….I just don’t bother with them at all anymore.  Stale.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I remember when CNN did that show with the  “panel of experts” they assembled.  I’m sure they still do it….I just don’t bother with them at all anymore.  Stale.

:lol:

Well, they had Greta on about covid too so their credibility isn't completely gone. :lol:

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Basically we’ve learned that all these government experts are nearly completely incompetent 

Not 100% true.  They are good at dancing to the tune that is asked of them and making some nice coin in the process!

4 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Has there ever been as big a worldwide klustterfukkkkkkk as we,ve had in the last couple of years ? I,ve never wished people dead before this mess.

Well you were younger then.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

that's all i have done from the beginning. finally got the shit a month ago. knew it was coming sooner or later. as it is for everyone. 

• Like 2