Check your account email address ×

thoughts on parting out sleds?

33 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, some good guys but, that’s a tough way to try to make a living off passion for your sport.  I think Ske’s in Duloof finally shut down also.  

The best way I found is buying NOS parts in lots from dealers on parts that are no longer available and just been setting on the shelf.  When I liquidated some parts a while back I posted stuff and within a day it was sold.  Keep the price reasonable and know what parts are desirable and hard to find.  Still have quite a few NOS parts for early 90's sleds that I kept.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

you aren't kidding OTB

there was a guy an hour north of me last winter that had some parts I wanted, listed on ebay.  make an offer was an option, which I did and he accepted and did the paypal.  told him I could come pick up the pieces anytime and to let me know what worked for him as a time frame, then got the 'well, I'm kind've busy', then 'they aren't pulled yet' (which they were in the pictures), then this fuck wanted more $.  I screen shot the entire exchange from top to bottom, told him to go fuck himself, went through resolution with ebay and got my $ back.  Seriously, it was like $300 and didn't require him to ship or do anything other than allow me to pick the shit up.  looked at his 'reviews' after all this, and should have done that before bidding - most of them were negative and basically the same shitshow I dealt with.  so yeah, there's some genuine goofballs out there.

guy on one of the SnoPro groups was parting one out and luckily I got to him early for the skid shocks as I've been wanting to upgrade the stock 500's IFP's.  very-very fair price, threw in all the hardware and even shit I didn't need, and shipped it a day later. 

guys that want to move parts don't screw around and I for one am happily willing to pay more for less bullshit.

If I was parting a sled out, you are getting whole chunks.  You aren't getting the right lower a-arm, you are getting all the a-arms and spindles or at least the side.  You get the whole engine.  Intake to exhaust, etc.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

The guys who think they are making their nut full time parting sleds out are a strange fucking bunch, and seem like they can be assholes to boot.

Sell off a few bigger chunks and hold on to all the other parts you can't get rid of.

The last time I had to go to a parts guy, I needed a Firecat tie rod, which he had by the 5 gallon bucket full.  60% of retail for all the parts (2 rod ends, 1 rod), and he wasn't going to budge. 

Dude, you have them by the 5 gallon bucket full, sell them for $20 a set and move on with life.  

My friend needed a long block motor for the orange Pro-X 800.  Found one, but the guy wouldn't sell complete motors to anyone.  So he bought it in parts and on the 3rd trip, the guy wouldn't sell him the bottom end, because he won't sell that many motor parts to 1 person.  WTF.

Parting out sleds is a pain the ass. Last one I parted I ended up throwing a bunch of parts away because I got sick of looking at them. Once the big stuff is gone people want dick around with you over nickel and dime pieces. 

Yup to the tight wads with patience, it can be a bit it a money maker. Me, I’d make sure that all the big ticket items cover what I wanted out of the sled as a whole. That way, all the bullshit could get tossed in the trash and I wouldn’t feel bad about it at all. 

2 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Parting out sleds is a pain the ass. Last one I parted I ended up throwing a bunch of parts away because I got sick of looking at them. Once the big stuff is gone people want dick around with you over nickel and dime pieces. 

The thing is, if you have 2 whole tables of tachs off 80's and 90's sleds at Haydays and have had them for the last 10 years, if someone walks up and offers you $5 for one and you are asking $20, take it and run.

Same thing with Firecat tie rod man.  He had tie rods by the 5 gallon bucket, 5 or 6 buckets for sure.  He was stuck at 60% of retail.  Get them gone for $10 a piece!

I bet some of these parts guys work for less then $10/hr for their "hobby" or job.  Way less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

The thing is, if you have 2 whole tables of tachs off 80's and 90's sleds at Haydays and have had them for the last 10 years, if someone walks up and offers you $5 for one and you are asking $20, take it and run.

Same thing with Firecat tie rod man.  He had tie rods by the 5 gallon bucket, 5 or 6 buckets for sure.  He was stuck at 60% of retail.  Get them gone for $10 a piece!

I bet some of these parts guys work for less then $10/hr for their "hobby" or job.  Way less.

Hence the reason that I don’t waste my time with swap meets. Haydays or otherwise. 

9 hours ago, Zambroski said:

There used to be much more money in parting them out.  Not sure now though.  I sold my XRS to a guy that immediately stripped it down and parted it out.  Said he did pretty well on profit.  If you have the patience to deal with all the “looky-Lou’s” needing a part or two, not a bad racket.

Lol my bud had a few letters of the alphabet bulk head parts and a leaking shock.  Then it got totaled and same guy bought it to part lol. Think that dude still lives our here 

3 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Yup to the tight wads with patience, it can be a bit it a money maker. Me, I’d make sure that all the big ticket items cover what I wanted out of the sled as a whole. That way, all the bullshit could get tossed in the trash and I wouldn’t feel bad about it at all. 

Late model shit you can make real good money on . Like under 8 yrs old . Rest of the stuff not worth it . Lots of high mi 1 yr old  rentals get parted and make way more than if sold whole . 

17 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Lol my bud had a few letters of the alphabet bulk head parts and a leaking shock.  Then it got totaled and same guy bought it to part lol. Think that dude still lives our here 

Yeah, Jake.  Good guy.

5 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

That’s shit I throw away. I threw my pile of random firecat parts in the groups at make off they are yours. No offers. Garbage canned and posted a picture of them in the garbage can and so many of them were butt hurt I trash canned them 

• Gold Member

Parted two sleds years ago I made a little bit more than if selling them whole but it was a pain in the ass and took lot of time. Lot of the random stuff never sold either and just ended up tossing it. Not worth the time that has to be put in to me rather just sell it whole and be done with it. 

Edited by 800renegaderider

Best I've done on a part out was buying a 96 Sea Doo Sportster just for the galvanized trailer for $700.  The boat was from out east (salt water) and both engines were fucked and torn apart.  Didn't care as I just wanted the trailer.  Started digging into what bits and pieces of the boat were worth and joined a Sea-Doo forum to post in their classifieds.  Started stripping parts.  Took gutted hull to the dump, got it off the trailer with help from the guy in the Bomag (what a machine), then he ran it over and crushed it.  Paid $50 for disposal.  Sold steering and control cables, drives, jets, seats and lots of odd's and ends.  Took about a year to to sell everything off.  The ECU was the cherry which sold for $1200.  Guy from Illinois had his go down, he drove 3 hours to my work with his boat on the trailer (because the boat never ran in my possession), we bolted it in, boat fired right up and he happily handed me the cash.  By the time it was all said and done that $700 purchase netted me $2900 and a free trailer.  

Those ECU's are now going for $2K :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1134215328

On 11/13/2021 at 9:35 PM, Not greg b said:

That’s shit I throw away. I threw my pile of random firecat parts in the groups at make off they are yours. No offers. Garbage canned and posted a picture of them in the garbage can and so many of them were butt hurt I trash canned them 

That is just it, these parts guys will get all butthurtz over someone offering them $5 here and $10 there for parts they have hundreds of, never sell any of it, then dump it at the scrap yard for nothing. 

They could have been taking their stripper glitter money in bits and pieces instead of getting a few cents a pound for it.