Check your account email address ×

thoughts on parting out sleds?

should a sled like this be parted out?  https://www.facebook.com/westmichigansnowmobilellc/posts/4331765096951631 

I totally get it and have parted out shit in the past for much more than it's complete value, I've also purchased parts from people that part shit out

but sometimes, it just feels wrong.   this one is calling your name @fortune46x  ;) 

It's a freaking F7!!  Isn't it blasphemy to chop a running Firecat?  I mean, even if it's NOT running fully it will still run the numbers :lol:

All joking aside, given the cult like following of the Firecat crowd I would think this guy could find a buyer - assuming he's not asking an outrageous price.

15 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

should a sled like this be parted out?  https://www.facebook.com/westmichigansnowmobilellc/posts/4331765096951631 

I totally get it and have parted out shit in the past for much more than it's complete value, I've also purchased parts from people that part shit out

but sometimes, it just feels wrong.   this one is calling your name @fortune46x  ;) 

This sled is 100% @bontz ‘s imagine how many chicks you could pull at your family reunion with that thing. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

This sled is 100% @bontz ‘s imagine how many chicks you could pull at your family reunion with that thing. 

Hey now ... I'm not living in Wisconsin!!  Well, my extended family is from 'Sconnie so I guess I can't really play that card.

There used to be much more money in parting them out.  Not sure now though.  I sold my XRS to a guy that immediately stripped it down and parted it out.  Said he did pretty well on profit.  If you have the patience to deal with all the “looky-Lou’s” needing a part or two, not a bad racket.

27 minutes ago, Bontz said:

It's a freaking F7!!  Isn't it blasphemy to chop a running Firecat?  I mean, even if it's NOT running fully it will still run the numbers :lol:

All joking aside, given the cult like following of the Firecat crowd I would think this guy could find a buyer - assuming he's not asking an outrageous price.

Firecats were MEANT to be parts sleds. Fuck, most of them left a trail of parts behind them wherever they went! 

40 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I have a buddy from back home that not only pays for all of his riding for the year (usually averages 3k miles a year and doesn’t own anywhere to stay at up north) AND buys himself a newer sled, every year, just from parting out sleds on FBM. He’s been doing it since CL times. I can’t deal with all the idiots or I would be doing the same 

25 minutes ago, Bontz said:

A run of the mill F7 I can totally see, but this is a 'running' rare nut in terms of the Firecat.  Who knows what the tunnel and bulkhead are like though.  Where do you think all those F7 swaps have come from?  There is a definitely a following for F-Cat's, the race sleds are bringing huge coin.  Hate to go HCS here but Super 8 (is he here?) posted a breakdown of the 15,922 2003 Firecats sold. 

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/all-you-firecat-guys-whats-the-rarest-color-scheme-build-cat-produced.1700330/post-18165738

What's a comparable oddball rare Polaris, as IDK honestly?  Red Rocket's (XCR 440's) are about the only thing that comes to mind.

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

There used to be much more money in parting them out.  Not sure now though.  I sold my XRS to a guy that immediately stripped it down and parted it out.  Said he did pretty well on profit.  If you have the patience to deal with all the “looky-Lou’s” needing a part or two, not a bad racket.

well, Ski-Doo - so no real loss

3 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

I honestly thought about doing it with my 800 since it’s more aftermarket than oem but saving the engine and whatnot to put in a wildcat x  chassis I have sitting here. 

most of the Zuke 800's are still totally useable though, and how many folks (young guys really) are going to ante up for what you've done?

I get it, and honestly I would be more inclined to keep it until the right buyer comes around ... that sled is a unique one.  And given the market for used sled prices, I'd think the guy could get some good coin for it without chopping it.

As far as rare Polaris sleds go, I don't know .. I've only been on them since 2009 so can't really say.  That "red rocket" is one that also comes to mind, but beyond that I'm thinking it's probably more along the lines of the older/vintage stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

A run of the mill F7 I can totally see, but this is a 'running' rare nut in terms of the Firecat.  Who knows what the tunnel and bulkhead are like though.  Where do you think all those F7 swaps have come from?  There is a definitely a following for F-Cat's, the race sleds are bringing huge coin.  Hate to go HCS here but Super 8 (is he here?) posted a breakdown of the 15,922 2003 Firecats sold. 

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/all-you-firecat-guys-whats-the-rarest-color-scheme-build-cat-produced.1700330/post-18165738

What's a comparable oddball rare Polaris, as IDK honestly?  Red Rocket's (XCR 440's) are about the only thing that comes to mind.

most of the Zuke 800's are still totally useable though, and how many folks (young guys really) are going to ante up for what you've done?

Pro-X, Pro-X2 and especially Pro-XR’s are still pulling down serious coin, for what they are. Gen2 XCR-800’s are still worth a good amount of money too. 

Hell, even a clean 35th anniversary Indy 650 is out of my league, for a shop ornament. I should have never sold the one I had. 

Just now, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Pro-X, Pro-X2 and especially Pro-XR’s are still pulling down serious coin, for what they are. Gen2 XCR-800’s are still worth a good amount of money too. 

Hell, even a clean 35th anniversary Indy 650 is out of my league, for a shop ornament. I should have never sold the one I had. 

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I bet the Pro-X Rush/Switchback will be a future collectible.  I know @Deephaven liked his.

4 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

That sled came to my mind, too.  

17 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Meh I figure if I sold things for 50% of retail I’d end up equal/ahead of selling it complete

I don't care if it's parted out or not.  It's a fucking dime a dozen f7.

Oh it's rare?  How so?  Oh it's got rare stickers on it ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh wowie such rareness.

Anything can be parted, it's not really for anyone to say what someone should or shouldn't do with their own property.  I think it be cool to light it on fire.

4 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I don't care if it's parted out or not.  It's a fucking dime a dozen f7.

Oh it's rare?  How so?  Oh it's got rare stickers on it ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh wowie such rareness.

Anything can be parted, it's not really for anyone to say what someone should or shouldn't do with their own property.  I think it be cool to light it on fire.

even an 04 blue fighter pilot edition f7?

52 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

1988 Indy 500, 1990 1/2  Indy 400 GEO, 1990 1/2 RXL, 1991 EFI 500, 1992 XLT, 1994 XCR 600, 1997 XCR 440 are a couple limited build Polaris sleds that have a good a market.

As far as parting out sleds if you select popular sleds.  Have the time, space and patience to hold parts for a while it worth it.

Edited by Doug

4 minutes ago, Doug said:

1990 Indy 400 GEO, 1990 1/2 RXL, 1991 EFI 500, 1992 XLT, 1994 XCR 600, 1997 XCR 440 are a couple limited build Polaris sleds that have a good a market.

As far as parting out sleds if you select popular sleds.  Have the time, space and patience to hold parts for a while it worth it.

just doing a little googling...  XC 400 is interesting 

for Doo's, the Plus X and Mach X are about the only ones that come to mind

The guys who think they are making their nut full time parting sleds out are a strange fucking bunch, and seem like they can be assholes to boot.

Sell off a few bigger chunks and hold on to all the other parts you can't get rid of.

The last time I had to go to a parts guy, I needed a Firecat tie rod, which he had by the 5 gallon bucket full.  60% of retail for all the parts (2 rod ends, 1 rod), and he wasn't going to budge. 

Dude, you have them by the 5 gallon bucket full, sell them for $20 a set and move on with life.  

My friend needed a long block motor for the orange Pro-X 800.  Found one, but the guy wouldn't sell complete motors to anyone.  So he bought it in parts and on the 3rd trip, the guy wouldn't sell him the bottom end, because he won't sell that many motor parts to 1 person.  WTF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The guys who think they are making their nut full time parting sleds out are a strange fucking bunch, and seem like they can be assholes to boot.

Sell off a few bigger chunks and hold on to all the other parts you can't get rid of.

The last time I had to go to a parts guy, I needed a Firecat tie rod, which he had by the 5 gallon bucket full.  60% of retail for all the parts (2 rod ends, 1 rod), and he wasn't going to budge. 

Dude, you have them by the 5 gallon bucket full, sell them for $20 a set and move on with life.  

My friend needed a long block motor for the orange Pro-X 800.  Found one, but the guy wouldn't sell complete motors to anyone.  So he bought it in parts and on the 3rd trip, the guy wouldn't sell him the bottom end, because he won't sell that many motor parts to 1 person.  WTF.

Yeah, some good guys but, that’s a tough way to try to make a living off passion for your sport.  I think Ske’s in Duloof finally shut down also.  

21 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

you aren't kidding OTB

there was a guy an hour north of me last winter that had some parts I wanted, listed on ebay.  make an offer was an option, which I did and he accepted and did the paypal.  told him I could come pick up the pieces anytime and to let me know what worked for him as a time frame, then got the 'well, I'm kind've busy', then 'they aren't pulled yet' (which they were in the pictures), then this fuck wanted more $.  I screen shot the entire exchange from top to bottom, told him to go fuck himself, went through resolution with ebay and got my $ back.  Seriously, it was like $300 and didn't require him to ship or do anything other than allow me to pick the shit up.  looked at his 'reviews' after all this, and should have done that before bidding - most of them were negative and basically the same shitshow I dealt with.  so yeah, there's some genuine goofballs out there.

guy on one of the SnoPro groups was parting one out and luckily I got to him early for the skid shocks as I've been wanting to upgrade the stock 500's IFP's.  very-very fair price, threw in all the hardware and even shit I didn't need, and shipped it a day later. 

guys that want to move parts don't screw around and I for one am happily willing to pay more for less bullshit.

• Like 1