Check your account email address ×

Disposable Cars & Trucks

4 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://jalopnik.com/the-new-iphone-13-is-already-junk-your-next-car-should-1847675025

He has some valid points. 

I'm going to hang onto at least one old analog car.

Got to go way way back to not have any electronics . Most guys don't even know how to adjust points 

I have 1 vehicle with a computer, the wife’s. The rest are pre that shit, ranging from 46 to 77. I always use the example of how many 70 to 80 year old tractors are still earning there keep around the country. And a hundred years from now most still will be with basic maintenance. I can’t imagine any of this new shit, cars, trucks tractors or whatever coming close to that. 

• Like 2

• Gold Member

Yeah we got one of those new fangled tier 4 emissions controlled Cat 4.4's that won't fucking run. We have two shoreside mechanics, our own engineer and a we flew in a Cat Tech from Anchorage.

No one can figure out to keep the damn thing running.

Well that damn engine runs all our hydraulics, for the primary fuel pump, for the anchor, for the bow ramp...all of it. Now none of it works and everything is freezing up around here.

New fangled garbage!!

• Sad 1

• Gold Member

The electronic shit in cars today is getting ridiculous it will cost people thousands of dollars when this stuff starts shitting the bed few years down the road. Freaking 3k headlights and mirrors. All these sensors and radar shit and cameras thousands of dollars to fix. Not to mention the electronics to keep the car running. I’ll take a basic no thrills car any day.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Let me dwell on that lol

20210910_134650.jpg

Nice to be able to work on something without having to move 12 other things out of the way. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Nice to be able to work on something without having to move 12 other things out of the way. :lol: 

Some tight spots with the stock manifolds/heat shields changing the plugs on the driver's side. The car is simple to work on without all the electronics. A good set of tools and a test light and some common knowledge. Alot of guys switch the vacuum operated lights to electric and spend large vs a $70 complete vacuum line kit. 

21 minutes ago, CFM said:

I like your easy pour coolant  overflow. I’ve used the same for crankcase blowby catch can. :) lol. 

That's my Bubba gas can lol. I cut the fuel line b4 the fuel pump so it doesn't suck the rust/sediment from the gas tank.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
55 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Some tight spots with the stock manifolds/heat shields changing the plugs on the driver's side. The car is simple to work on without all the electronics. A good set of tools and a test light and some common knowledge. Alot of guys switch the vacuum operated lights to electric and spend large vs a $70 complete vacuum line kit. 

Is that a C3 Vette? 

3 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

The electronic shit in cars today is getting ridiculous it will cost people thousands of dollars when this stuff starts shitting the bed few years down the road. Freaking 3k headlights and mirrors. All these sensors and radar shit and cameras thousands of dollars to fix. Not to mention the electronics to keep the car running. I’ll take a basic no thrills car any day.

I kept two Bmws on the road for 7 years. They’re probably the nightmare of the industry for electronics. Purchased the necessary diagnostic equipment for repairs and did it myself. The main issue with most fix it shops is a lack of diagnostic ability. They just start throwing parts at the car. I do agree that basic cars are the way to go if you plan on keeping a vehicle long term. There’s no fucking way I’d want to go back to the junk that was made years ago. 

Edited by spin_dry

3 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Stopped by a body shop this week who now just buys totaled cars for resale.  The condition of these “totaled” cars are funny.  It doesn’t take much anymore for them to just be written off by insurance companies because they are too expensive to fix.

If my daughter or wife’s newer rides ever lose their touchscreen cockpit navigation, it’s over.  We’re all paying for this.

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Amen.  Last time I attempted anything big was when I rolled under my Tundra to see what it’d take to put my long tubes on it.  I just laughed, rolled out and that was the last time I was under it.

My wifes next car will be leased.  Warranty, not paying to fix tech junk I could care less about and not dealing with fucking corrosion issues.  She'll likely get an EV or hybrid and I'm not interested in recycling it either. 

23 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I kept two Bmws on the road for 7 years. They’re probably the nightmare of the industry for electronics. Purchased the necessary diagnostic equipment for repairs and did it myself. The main issue with most fix it shops is a lack of diagnostic ability. They just start throwing parts at the car. I do agree that basic cars are the way to go if you plan on keeping a vehicle long term. There’s no fucking way I’d want to go back to the junk that was made years ago. 

driving something from the 00's i could do,  prior to that as a daily/long trip vehicle no way.   I would like a 70's/80's bronco or blazer as a toy but i'd prefer it with an LS or coyote swap.  

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Stopped by a body shop this week who now just buys totaled cars for resale.  The condition of these “totaled” cars are funny.  It doesn’t take much anymore for them to just be written off by insurance companies because they are too expensive to fix.

If my daughter or wife’s newer rides ever lose their touchscreen cockpit navigation, it’s over.  We’re all paying for this.

Wife of guy I work with hit a deer at 70+ on the highway with an Audi Q5 last week.  $21k in damage.  The insurance company totalled it. 

This happens often.

• Gold Member
57 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I don’t think I’d want to daily a carb car but anything efi post 87ish I’d daily no problem. Hell a fox mustang from the 80s is no different than a 04 chassis wise. I’d just want minimum electronics I don’t need sensors that beep for everything that happens on a drive or a radio that links to my phone 😂.

38 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Nope especially with the prices of some of the parts for these cars these days.

35 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Wife of guy I work with hit a deer at 70+ on the highway with an Audi Q5 last week.  $21k in damage.  The insurance company totalled it. 

This happens often.

Don’t kid yourself the insurance company will only total something if it’s in there favor. A certain threshold has to be met to even be considered to be totaled. Then they’ll look at salvage values and potential missed/unknown damage cost.

21k sounds like a lot but it really isn’t that much for a car like a Audi. it must have been a older one I’d guess. I just did a 2020 SQ5 couple weeks ago similar mid 20s damage which was actually a light hit it didn’t even come close to totaling. The headlights alone on that toilet were over 6k list for the pair.

20 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://jalopnik.com/the-new-iphone-13-is-already-junk-your-next-car-should-1847675025

He has some valid points. 

I'm going to hang onto at least one old analog car.

There may be a few points but he's leaving out that nobody is forcing anyone to buy these cars that he doesn't like.  Don't like them, don't buy them.

16 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Got to go way way back to not have any electronics . Most guys don't even know how to adjust points 

Most guys don't know what points are.  Including mechanics.  But really, that shit is 50 years old, at the newest.  There's no reason to know how to do that if you've never had to.  And, points still uses electronics.  Old school diesels are about the only thing that doesn't require electricity.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

My wifes next car will be leased.  Warranty, not paying to fix tech junk I could care less about and not dealing with fucking corrosion issues.  She'll likely get an EV or hybrid and I'm not interested in recycling it either. 

You mean to say couldn't care less.  Big difference.  Saying you could care less means you care about it.