Check your account email address ×

Middle-class Americans face retirement insecurity, analysis finds

43 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Couple who averages $80K over 30 years putting in 12.4% earning 8% would have over $1.25 million saved up.   People could retire in their 50's earning good money just off the interest or dividends.  Work 38 years (22 to 60) and have over $2.1 million.   A small % could be kept out for disability insurance and wouldn't bring those numbers down much.

I’m getting $2500/mo from SS. I really can’t complain. I’m fine with how it’s is and think it’s foolish to hand it over to money managers that’ll play games. I believe changes should be made by not allowing the government to rob SS. That would require politicians that aren’t bought by billionaires. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I sold both my BMW’s for what they were worth 4 years ago. The snowblower that I paid $325 for 3 years ago went for $550. I could go on, but you get the idea. Crazy prices on stuff. 

No more sleds? Didn't you have a ST!!?? Honda years back?

Just now, racerdave said:

No more sleds? Didn't you have a ST!!?? Honda years back?

Hey Dave. I had a “05 ST1300. Drove that thing from Tijuana to the Northwest Territories. I gave up sledding in 2008. I’ve rented a few times. Just felt it was time to move on. I lost two riding partners from fatal bike crashes within a year. Both left behind a wife and kids. It just soured the desire to continue. Both were superb riders that had crashes which were not preventable. 

37 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i was making 100k at 23/24 driving a 15k saturn.  kids today at income levels way less than that driving 70k pickup.  Zero self control.

If it's one thing America has done exceeding well is marketing.  The younger generation is almost helpless without strong guidance.  

Remember when you had to buy whatever car you could afford with whatever cash you had saved?  Remember when getting fast food was a treat?  Not any longer.  High school fatties rolling in trucks that cost more than my first fucking house.  SMH.  

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

In 30 years America will be a big tent city as a huge amount of the workforce doesn’t save money for retirement. Those who say they can’t ever retire don’t realize their bodies get old and wear out. Plus your replaced in the workforce with someone half your age and salary. You really have no choices at a certain point. Tent city.

America will not make it to 30 years let alone 3 with the current administration.  Here's another perfect example of where we're headed

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-administration-in-talks-to-pay-hundreds-of-millions-to-immigrant-families-separated-at-border-11635447591

17 minutes ago, tnts4me said:

America will not make it to 30 years let alone 3 with the current administration.  Here's another perfect example of where we're headed

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-administration-in-talks-to-pay-hundreds-of-millions-to-immigrant-families-separated-at-border-11635447591

You do realize there are lobbyists working congress for the contract to do that right? It’s not just Democrats.

3 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Retirements over rated is what I here from the old parts drivers. “It gets boring so I came back to work” aka I didn’t save enough 😂 I don’t care how boring it is I ain’t going back to work rather cut my lawn 10 times a day.

Most of the guys I work with never plan to retire, we enjoy our job too much, and also some people need to keep busy, hell look at Rodger Skime (since this is a snowmobile site) He still works full time on his ranch. It also seemed like the friends of my dad that really looked forward to retiring ended up with the highlight of their day being, going for coffee, and dying 6 months to a year later. 

59 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

Most of the guys I work with never plan to retire, we enjoy our job too much, and also some people need to keep busy, hell look at Rodger Skime (since this is a snowmobile site) He still works full time on his ranch. It also seemed like the friends of my dad that really looked forward to retiring ended up with the highlight of their day being, going for coffee, and dying 6 months to a year later. 

I retired 4 years ago. I’m busier doing what I want. So yeah if you sit you will die soon.

20 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I retired 4 years ago. I’m busier doing what I want. So yeah if you sit you will die soon.

20 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Being a Liberal internet warrior? 😂😂😂

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

yup,  very few can do both.  Those who look "rich" most times are not.  I see way too many clients even into their 50's with sub 100k in retirement funds.  

See it all the time , $900,000 home , $130,000 worth of vehicles in the driveway. Motherfucker cant even buy lunch.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, airflite1 said:

Ya I enjoy what I do but I can do what I do on my own time with my own cars. I don’t need to work to enjoy that. To each there own I guess 👍.

Edited by 800renegaderider

11 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Nope. I come here for its comedic value.

And we do the same with you being the big top main act of libtwat hilarity.

BTW, have I thanked you lately for being the face of liberal idiocy here?  No?  Well...thank you!  :lol: 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
47 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Id love to know what your day actually consists of, my guess not much. :lol:

17 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

See it all the time , $900,000 home , $130,000 worth of vehicles in the driveway. Motherfucker cant even buy lunch.

Total monthly expenditures: $13,000

Total monthly revenues: $13,250

Total net worth: $15,000

Year to "retirement": ~15

Keeping up with the Johnson's rating: 8.2

WINNING!

49 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I retired a couple of years ago and it was tough at first to slow down. I worked for a buddy polishing cars,trucks and boats and finally gave that up. I work for the wife now and feel the whip when things don't get done lol

4 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

what are you going to do about the ones who instead don't put it away.  The only way the safety net works is to make it non optional and no way to cash it out.  While I don't like the return as a saver it's for the huge percentage of the population that have squat saved.  

Well if kids grew up seeing old fuckers camping and  dead in the street as a daily occurrence my guess would be they would have a much better appreciation for saving money for when they are old .

Now all you need is 6mo up fr and you can get a studio in a assisted living home and 3 hots a day after 6 mo the givernment pays for tge rest of your life . 

13 hours ago, Mainecat said:

You would.

Yes sir, the retiring middle class is suffering, but you voted for a guy that wants to give $450,000 each to illegal immigrants.  Good job.  They thank you for your measly contribution.

52 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Yes sir, the retiring middle class is suffering, but you voted for a guy that wants to give $450,000 each to illegal immigrants.  Good job.  They thank you for your measly contribution.

they deserve it it's not like they should not have been here or anything.  /S

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

He’s fixing Trumps kidnapping immigrant program.