Check your account email address ×

States giving incentives for GOING BACK TO WORK

Why Do Unions Fund The Fight For $15 Minimum Wage? Because They Gain A Financial Windfall In Return

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edrensi/2017/01/19/why-it-is-that-unions-fund-the-fight-for-15/amp/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324048904578318541000422454

Edited by Big Crappie

Just now, f7ben said:

Obviously Union are going to fight for wage increases ....a rising tide lifts all boats 

They fight because they directly gain from it.  Many of their wages are based directly off min wage.

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

They fight because they directly gain from it.  Many of their wages are based directly off min wage.

Ahhhh....are you fucking retarded?

10 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Seems it’s all good now cause someone knows someone who knows someone making over minimum. Thread topic solved.

I asked a simple question and you can't seem to answer it.  Shocking.

This is an article from 4 years ago.  Back to the old dem agenda.  Notice how we are back to talking more about the same old bullshit from the obama years.

To the casual observer, this may seem like an odd use of vast union resources because union members traditionally earn far more than the minimum wage. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the average private-sector union member earns $917 a week or $23 an hour full-time, about 50 percent more than the $15 minimum wage unions are fighting for.

But on closer inspection, the union payoff is clear. This is especially true when considering the relatively recent demands for wage floors in the $12 to $15 range.

Traditionally, unions have supported minimum wage initiatives because their contracts have been directly or indirectly tied to the minimum wage. For instance, UNITE contract that covered workers in  Pennsylvania, Ohio, and South Jersey said the following: "Whenever the federal legal minimum wage is increased, minimum wage [in the agreement] shall be increased so that each will be at least fifteen (15%) percent higher than such legal minimum wage.”

Contracts for Cal Fire Local 2881, which represents 6,000 California firefighters, and UFCW Local 1099’s agreement with CVS have had similar stipulations. Other contracts, such as those signed by Retail, Wholesale, & Chain Store Food Employees Union Local 338 and UFCW 1262, also stipulated that minimum wage increases trigger an automatic return to the bargaining table, where new -- usually higher -- compensation is negotiated.

Unions have also historically supported minimum wage increases because they reduce or even eliminate a main selling point of non-unionized labor, namely the fact that it is cheaper. By making non-unionized labor more expensive with minimum wage hikes, unionized labor becomes comparatively more attractive. This dynamic is amplified when unions demand exemptions from minimum wage increases.

For instance, Unite Here Local 11 has been notorious for backing minimum wage hikes that exempt its members as an organizing tool to encourage hotels to not oppose an organizing drive. The wage differential can be stark: The Los Angeles Times reported that Sheraton Universal Hotel employees, which are unionized, were paid California’s minimum wage of $10, but at the Hilton Hotel across the street non-unionized employees made $15.37 under the city’s hotel minimum wage law.

In today's climate of dramatic minimum wage increases of 50% or more, unions -- predominantly in the service sector -- can also directly benefit from minimum wage increases because their members' pay is less than the new minimum. Take California, for instance, which passed a $15 minimum wage last year. The Employment Policies Institute (EPI) used Census Bureau data to estimate that roughly 223,000 union members in the state will receive a direct pay increase by the time the law is fully implemented.

It's bad news for taxpayers, but a solid investment for unions. A powerful California-based SEIU local spent about $1.6 million to collect the signatures needed to qualify the $15 ballot measure that forced Gov. Jerry Brown to back such a mandate. EPI estimated that California unions can expect a return on investment of roughly $9 million in additional dues per year.

Under this microscope, it is clear why unions are willing to bet big on the Fight for $15. But that doesn't mean -- given the consequences observed so far -- that this isn't a losing hand.

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Has anyone here ever even made minimum wage ever in there life. I’d be willing to bet no one here has ever worked for minimum wage in there life. I know I haven’t even at 14 I was make few bucks over minimum.

First job I had was working in the tobacco fields near where I lived. That was in the 70s and we made shit money, but it was the work that was available for young kids.

• Platinum Contributing Member
29 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Has anyone here ever even made minimum wage ever in there life. I’d be willing to bet no one here has ever worked for minimum wage in there life. I know I haven’t even at 14 I was make few bucks over minimum.

Yep, my first job washing dishes at the local Italian restaurant I'd ride my bike to. $3.xx something an hour  :dunno: 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Well the minimum wage hasn’t been adjusted in how long????  I haven’t gone a year without a raise that the Union got me even though the minimum wage hasn’t been increased in many years.  I would hate my Union negiotated wage to be based off minimum wage increases cause you would never see a raise if that was the case.

49 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

3.75/hour Little Caesars in high school.

• Gold Member
40 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

First job I had was working in the tobacco fields near where I lived. That was in the 70s and we made shit money, but it was the work that was available for young kids.

20 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Yep, my first job washing dishes at the local Italian restaurant I'd ride my bike to. $3.xx something an hour  :dunno: 

17 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

My first job was minimum 4.25/hour at a pizza place.  

What is it now like 7.50? I don't even know.

Guess I got lucky 🤷‍♂️. All the entry jobs I had when I was younger in my teens non paid min. wage. Always made at least 10hr

I think it’s 7.25 but most states are over that by a good amount. NH is not one of those but I don’t know any job that pays under 12 in s.nh 

Edited by 800renegaderider

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

CAN YOU BELIEVE UNIONS WANT HIGHER WAGES DERRRRR....THEY GET A PIECE OF THOSE WAGES DERRRO

WAKE UP PEOPLE DERRRRRRRRRP

So now we are not talking mw?  How about a setter/score keeper at a trap club?  What should they be making? 

12 minutes ago, HSR said:

That's Frankies kinda coin :thumbsup:

He’s probably worth that if he can spin a wrench. A fucking plumber is $135 an hr here with 8 hr minimum

4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Never worked on a runway....  likely I had several cousins of yours begging and pleading with me, with tears and desperation in their eyes, to not turn their lights off for non payment.  Complete pathetic display by your cousins 

you worked at tanana power?

4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Never worked on a runway....  likely I had several cousins of yours begging and pleading with me, with tears and desperation in their eyes, to not turn their lights off for non payment.  Complete pathetic display by your cousins 

you know aaron? ralph? gable? im trying to remember if there was a weak faggot white boy that got slapped up by ralph all the time for fucking off and getting shit on all the 3" sockets

56 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Sounds like wages are keeping up nicely. 

So a fucking plumber is worth 10x what the gal at the nursing home wiping asses gets??? 

17 minutes ago, f7ben said:

So a fucking plumber is worth 10x what the gal at the nursing home wiping asses gets??? 

No way,, them gals/ nurses are angels.

1 hour ago, FrankieJames7 said:

im trying to remember 

Bet that happens a lot to you,,,don't worry it's just the meth

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

When I was in high school min wage was $1.65 . I worked for it for a few weeks, Then asked for a raise. Then quit a month later to shovel shit for $14 for about 45 minutes work each afternoon.