Check your account email address ×

Best motor in a vehicle that you’ve owned.

The GM 265, 283, 327 and 350"s had a ton of longevity with few problems. Ford had the 289, 302, 351 Windsor and Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler had the 318, 340,360, 383, 426, 440 with very few issues. The big 3 had a slew of 6 cyl"s and various other engines they put out as well. Although archaic by today's standards they were on the road longer than the bodies of most vehicles.

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, smokin george said:

The GM 265, 283, 327 and 350"s had a ton of longevity with few problems. Ford had the 289, 302, 351 Windsor and Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler had the 318, 340,360, 383, 426, 440 with very few issues. The big 3 had a slew of 6 cyl"s and various other engines they put out as well. Although archaic by today's standards they were on the road longer than the bodies of most vehicles.

Yep, the days when the body would rot off the frame and you'd be watching the road go by through the carpet while driving to the wreckers.  :thumbsup:

My favorite Motors in order

6.0 Powerstroke

6.9 NA Diesel

7.3 Powerstroke

6.2 Ford gasser

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yep, the days when the body would rot off the frame and you'd be watching the road go by through the carpet while driving to the wreckers.  :thumbsup:

6.0 Powerstroke

6.9 NA Diesel

7.3 Powerstroke

6.2 Ford gasser

That 6.0 is a pos. Bro had 2. Blew the head bolts off both with a six pack tune lol

2 hours ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

That 6.0 is a pos. Bro had 2. Blew the head bolts off both with a six pack tune lol

Yes, I realize its reputation. I had another that was junk. Previous owner had done the head gaskets just before I bought it so thought I'd be ok. The 2 speed fan quit working and I overheated running down the highway with the plow on it. Blew the head gaskets. Replaced the gaskets only find out the block was cracked internally. Put low mile used motor in it. Blew the head gaskets in that motor 3 years later right after I'd put a new turbo and trans in it......lol   Sold it to a wrecker for $900.

Mine has been great. But I know that they had most of the issues dealt with by '07.

This was to be my last year with the truck but now I've decided to drive it another 2-3 years. Not worth anything to sell it anyways and the new shit is too expensive with the short supply.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

2.4 bridgeport, 12 finger reed cage, 28cc head, wh1 carbs. Sure I have had engines that made more power but there is something special about 7700 rpms and an offshore mid section that just brings a smile to my face. 

I have a couple sets of pumper carbs I’d sell real cheap if you need them for anything. 

On 3/18/2021 at 7:26 AM, Stephen Hawking said:

Dodge slant 6, you couldn't kill those.

We had a slant 5 as #4 piston went out the block. Cut the rod and left a dead hole, skipped a bit and covered the hole with a rag and drove it for a few years LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

Was , but could be bulletproofed. The first step was cooling them. They blew apart because stock they ran too hot. Got 247,000 miles out of mine.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Matt said:

5.6L Endurance V8 in my 2006 Titan was the most grin-inducing NA engine ever put in a factory pickup.

We had a 2004 Armada back in the day, and yes that was a great motor. I’m pretty sure it was way under rated from the factory.

30 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

What is the number on them?

I think whm3 or something ....I’d have to look. I have velocity stacks and a cross drilled intake and a bunch of other small Merc stuff too

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

6.0 Powerstroke

6.9 NA Diesel

7.3 Powerstroke

6.2 Ford gasser

I know a guy who cheated on his wife with the service writer at the local Ford dealership......I say without the 6.0 he would still be married.

• Haha 2