Check your account email address ×

Best motor in a vehicle that you’ve owned.

2 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

2.0L Duratec

Only issue I had with the motor in 200,000 miles was the valve cover gasket leaking.

image.thumb.png.d464b6a9d8ace9d449c080ebd712c117.png

i got one. spent too many days driving 100 mph with over drive turned off, the camshaft right under the oil fill cap has a big mark on it. if i didn't drive it like that the  it would still be flawless. the choke flaps in the intake also wear out and will drop the metal pin into the cylinder if you don't change them when they start knocking. strong running, gets great fuel economy, and stout. if treated right and the choker flaps are maintained this engine is an easy 10/10

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Well they all suck, my company vehicle, 2011 escape limited is sitting at 210k I do 250-350mi a day,..it's maintained, but I have to say it's impressive how reliable it's been, easy to drive, good in snow, and it's got decent power.

3.0 Duratec?

best engine hands down are the 3 ford 3.0 Duratec v6's I've had. 1 in a 96 merc sable, 1 in a 99 ford taurus, and 1 in a 2004 ford escape. They were all sales vehicles that I drove the wheels off of then passed them along. All went over 250k with minimal issues.

Favorites are my 49 Merc 8CA stroker flathead that I built for my 40 Ford 1/2 ton pick up and the 455 in my 74 Pontiac Lemans gt sport coupe.

11 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

My 95 Ford plow truck is over 200k with no issues and good torque for plowing. I got the truck with 78k on it.

image.thumb.png.9707dbd1a8dffc7d32dc71860ba50129.png

Daymn.  Mine was dark green.  4.9 5 sp. Put 2 extra leafs in, a super chips tune and 4.10s. Pulled our 32ft trailer up any hill in 5th. Tons of torque.  I had to put an immobilizer in it for insurance purposes,  which failed 3 times making me sell it. Bullshit

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

best engine hands down are the 3 ford 3.0 Duratec v6's I've had. 1 in a 96 merc sable, 1 in a 99 ford taurus, and 1 in a 2004 ford escape. They were all sales vehicles that I drove the wheels off of then passed them along. All went over 250k with minimal issues.

Favorites are my 49 Merc 8CA stroker flathead that I built for my 40 Ford 1/2 ton pick up and the 455 in my 74 Pontiac Lemans gt sport coupe.

Ummm your gonna talk about a 40 Ford pick up and not post some pics. Love the pre war Ford trucks

16 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

My 95 Ford plow truck is over 200k with no issues and good torque for plowing. I got the truck with 78k on it.

image.thumb.png.9707dbd1a8dffc7d32dc71860ba50129.png

One of my faves was my 95 Powerstroke supercab, and there have been many, from a 79 TA 6.6 to an early 80s Saab turbo, to an LS2 in my 05 GTO.  But most impressive was 4 litre twin turbo in my BMW 750,  that big boat of a car just hauled fckg ass.  Any inline 6 BMW 6 also gets honorable mention.  Had an 87 528e back in the day, which was glorious but gutless.

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

One of my faves was my 95 Powerstroke supercab, and there have been many, from a 79 TA 6.6 to an early 80s Saab turbo, to an LS2 in my 05 GTO.  But most impressive was 4 litre twin turbo in my BMW 750,  that big boat of a car just hauled fckg ass.  Any inline 6 BMW 6 also gets honorable mention.  Had an 87 528e back in the day, which was glorious but gutless.

My 96 powerstroke was awesome.  Not overly powerful but thats probably what made it so reliable 

Just now, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

My 96 powerstroke was awesome.  Not overly powerful but thats probably what made it so reliable 

I owned a 95 and a 99.  Great motors.  I plowed and towed 5-6000 lbs. 4-5 days a week with that 95, for 5 years and about 150k miles.  I wish I could rationalize a diesel, the new stuff is just nuts.  But Id never own one out of warranty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

I was always impressed with the L31 GM 5700 Vortex 5.7.   Old man had one in a Tahoe right before the 5.3 was introduced.   Pulled great and got good mileage both towing and not.  

i liked mine but IMO the LS is a better motor esp in the 6.0 version in a 1/2 ton.  

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

I owned a 95 and a 99.  Great motors.  I plowed and towed 5-6000 lbs. 4-5 days a week with that 95, for 5 years and about 150k miles.  I wish I could rationalize a diesel, the new stuff is just nuts.  But Id never own one out of warranty.

I would never buy or afford a new diesel.  Wtf is with the pricing . It seems in the mid 90s when country music hit hard, all the douche canoes started buying trucks and drove up the price of trucks 

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The 2GR-FE V6 in that sienna van takes the top award. I sold the vehicle with 260,000. The motor had never been cracked. Last I heard it has over 320,000 with only oil changes. It lived in the northwest before I got it. Vehicles from up there live forever. Not to hot and not too cold. Low salt. It’s the sweet spot for buying a used vehicle. 

My family has had a bunch of Toyotas all the motors are basically indestructible. Got rid of my 1st gen Tacoma(5VZ-FE)with roughly 275,000 and it still ran great, my dad had a 1st gen Sequoia with the 2UZ-FE that was running great when he got rid of it with 200,000+ and currently drives a Sienna the 2GR that's got close to 200,000 on it. My mom had an IS250 with the 4GR-FSE, we sold that to someone we know and they're still driving it problem free with over 300k on it. I think the biggest problem we ever had was my Taco had an alternator die at well over 200k, other than that it was standard preventative maintenance only. Knock on wood the 2GR in my current Taco holds up the same.

• Platinum Contributing Member
43 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

3.0 Duratec?

Yes, I believe its the 3L v6..it's got some balls to be honest..It would smoke my truck..

12 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Yeah, they are quick and have decent legs.

I hit 120 in it a couple times, rolling 90 is a non-issue..

Be fun to get a fresher one, gut it, toss a 100 shot at it and take it to the strip.. Bet it would be silly

21 minutes ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

Seriously?  Its only 277 hp and what, 475 ft lbs

The 5.3 in my truck 285hp at the wheels . seriously, that escape rips

1 hour ago, Big Crappie said:

I'll agree with BC I've owned 4 or 5 Taurus's with these engines plus with all my years as a Ford Tech I've never had to open a Ford 3.0L up for anything.  Great engines.

-edit:  I did put a 3.0 Vulcan short block in an Aerostar back in the late 90's.

Edited by Fireball 440