Check your account email address ×

10,000 jobs?

Snake

U.S. Steel CEO Mario Longhi admitted that manufacturing challenges exist exclusively in the United States thanks to oppressive regulation set forth by President Obama.

Longhi is willing to bring as many as 10,000 jobs back to the United States because of the prosperity predicted with the advent of the incoming Trump administration. Jobs were lost to lay offs and downsizing during the Obama administration, and many employees found work overseas.

Europe and other countries have not established the same set of confining rules for manufacturing companies that American workers and business owners face.

There’s been little confidence among companies in the United States about their ability to compete in a global economy because of burdensome air pollution and water standards that are downright absurd. Longhi mentions the example of having to treat the water his company uses so that it is more pure than what’s found in nature.

http://usapoliticsnow.com/breaking-u-s-steel-ceo-says-10000-jobs-brought-back-trump/

• Gold Member

Manufacturing problems exist in the US solely due to President Obama?

I'm gonna go out on limb say that's complete bullshit. We've been bleeding off manu jobs for decades.

Edited by Kivalo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I'm gonna go out on limb say that's complete bullshit. We've been bleeding off manu jobs for decades.

I'd agree. It's not only the US but Canada as well that is losing manufacturing jobs and Obama didn't do it to Canada. Our own politicians here are actually driving manufacturing jobs to the US with things like high electricity costs in Ontario.

The biggest reality though is that we are now part of a global market and need to compete on a global level. The high labour costs in North America compared to other options available to the corporate world is likely the biggest factor. Labour costs also include the defined benefit company pension liabilities.

39 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Yeah no shit. Overburden some air and water regulation? Are you fucking kidding me. When I was a kid the air would hurt your eyes in the summer time from all of the smog. And they already tell us that you shouldn't eat too much fish from the great lakes and pregnant women shouldn't eat any. What a bunch of crap. 

16 minutes ago, Anler said:

So manufacturers claim jobs will come back if they can have free reign to pollute like they do in other countries? Sounds like a good trade...

no one is saying time to start dumping chemicals in the lake .

have u gone over any of the crazy shit they make manufacturing/power operations go through. then wonder why the go to Mexico  

3 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

no one is saying time to start dumping chemicals in the lake .

have u gone over any of the crazy shit they make manufacturing/power operations go through. then wonder why the go to Mexico  

Well some of the manufacturers we work for have stricter rules in house than the EPA imposes. I think this may be one reason but I don't think we should go backwards on pollution. There are sites around here that are too costly to clean up because if the massive amount of toxins in the soil and water table. 

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Trump promised 25 million new jobs over the next 10 years. That's over 200,000 new jobs every month.

i like his aggressiveness but it was just another huge lie.

https://youtu.be/u2d3NHvuuSU

he pulls stats out of his ass. it's really astonishing how some believe his bullshit. does he really think he's going to get those white trash, single wide living south easterners who voted for him to punch a clock? :lol: 

Edited by spin_dry

4 hours ago, 02sled said:

I'd agree. It's not only the US but Canada as well that is losing manufacturing jobs and Obama didn't do it to Canada. Our own politicians here are actually driving manufacturing jobs to the US with things like high electricity costs in Ontario.

The biggest reality though is that we are now part of a global market and need to compete on a global level. The high labour costs in North America compared to other options available to the corporate world is likely the biggest factor. Labour costs also include the defined benefit company pension liabilities.

That's why I think any country who wants to trade with us has to abide by a certain level of standards in regards to environmental impact, labor laws and safety. Why should we impose them on our companies and then embrace trade with countries who don't do any of it? It undermines our domestic producers. And we are the largest consumer so we can set the rules. 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

he pulls stats out of his ass. it's really astonishing how some believe his bullshit. does he really think he's going to get those white trash, single wide living south easterners who voted for him to punch a clock? :lol: 

Or all those worthless, niggers, beaners and the "new liberal cause"...the ME Muslims, sittin' around sucking on the G'ment tit...while they train their next generation to do the same?  Right.  See?  See what I did there?

What's it like to be a self hating white man?  Painful days filled with sorrowful nights? :lol: Get some bronzer, grow a beard and grab a turban.  Be the race you WANT to be.  This is AMERICA brought to you by the liberals...Shit, if you can now choose your sex, you should be able to choose your race.  Right?

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Or all those worthless, niggers, beaners and the "new liberal cause"...the ME Muslims, sittin' around sucking on the G'ment tit...while they train their next generation to do the same?  Right.  See?  See what I did there?

What's it like to be a self hating white man?  Painful days filled with sorrowful nights? :lol: Get some bronzer, grow a beard and grab a turban.  Be the race you WANT to be.  This is AMERICA brought to you by the liberals...Shit, if you can now choose your sex, you should be able to choose your race.  Right?

Hispanics are about the hardest working people I have ever seen. And around here it seems most Arabs are educated and have jobs. The white trash and the coloreds tho... That will be a challenge to get them to start giving a shit. 

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Trump promised 25 million new jobs over the next 10 years. That's over 200,000 new jobs every month.

i like his aggressiveness but it was just another huge lie.

https://youtu.be/u2d3NHvuuSU

Well, how many you people think Obama created in the last 8? 15 mil?  20 mil? 40 trillion?  :lol:

:ashamed:

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Hispanics are about the hardest working people I have ever seen. And around here it seems most Arabs are educated and have jobs. The white trash and the coloreds tho... That will be a challenge to get them to start giving a shit. 

You missed my point directed at Spin fry.  There's a lot of hard working in any class.  And I do agree, The hispanics definitely outshine the negroes.

19 minutes ago, Anler said:

That's why I think any country who wants to trade with us has to abide by a certain level of standards in regards to environmental impact, labor laws and safety. Why should we impose them on our companies and then embrace trade with countries who don't do any of it? It undermines our domestic producers. And we are the largest consumer so we can set the rules. 

Good luck with that. Try telling China, just as an example that the US is going to tell them what they must do in their country. If you choose not to buy product or parts of products made in China are you prepared to stop having those things available to you AND in a few years when the manufacturing in North America is able to start producing those things, start paying double, triple or more than you had been for the same thing.

Edited by 02sled

Going backwards in regards to the environment makes no sense.  Everything is changing due to technology and manufacturing will continue to bleed jobs.  In fact, just about every industry will bleed jobs due to technology.  Driverless cars, grocery stores without cashiers, deliveries made by drones from warehouses with only a handful of staff, it's all coming quick and Trump doesn't understand any of it.

:lol:

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

unemployment rate here is 2.9%. the only workers left in the workforce are the undesirables. all mfg is understaffed. 

A problem that can be traced to our educational system. 1.4 Trillion of College debt and yet skilled positions go unfilled to the tune of what 5 Million positions? We have brain washed kids into thinking that being a College educated Barista at Starbucks with a life time of student debt is better than having a trade and making 60 to 100K as a plumber or machinist. 

13 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Good luck with that. Try telling China, just as an example that the US is going to tell them what they must do in their country. If you choose not to buy product or parts of products made in China are you prepared to stop having those things available to you AND in a few years when the manufacturing in North America is able to start producing those things, start paying double, triple or more than you had been for the same thing.

We can charge them a tarriff. They impose them on us. Seems ridiculous that we would allow that. 

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

Going backwards in regards to the environment makes no sense.  Everything is changing due to technology and manufacturing will continue to bleed jobs.  In fact, just about every industry will bleed jobs due to technology.  Driverless cars, grocery stores without cashiers, deliveries made by drones from warehouses with only a handful of staff, it's all coming quick and Trump doesn't understand any of it.

Declaring a war on Coal never made much sense either. It would seem you would want to have a replacement ready before you leave behind what is still a large portion of US and Canadian power production.  

2 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

A lot of emphasis on this and there always has been from the dawn of industrial employment.  However, regardless of technology or other replacing actual jobs, those jobs that are deemed "extinct" result in other jobs in that sector.  Or, a shift of employment and shifting career development.  Nobody should be standing hard and fast on how to save the "buggy whip" manufacturing sectors.  The real problem is when those jobs don't go "extinct", rather just pick up and move out of the nation.  That leaves no residual or reason to support those jobs.  Or, very little in the way of logistics.

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

Declaring a war on Coal never made much sense either. It would seem you would want to have a replacement ready before you leave behind what is still a large portion of US and Canadian power production.  

Agreed.  This is just stupid.  Coal is still a viable power producer.  And the "clean coal" burning technologies have come a long way.