Check your account email address ×

Ceiling hung garage furnace.

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

i have my boiler return looped through my garage,  60 almost all the time.  wind blowing wrong at below zero it might lose 5 degrees.  

No brainer if you have a boiler . I went to a buds house few yrs back and he was literally starting to  install a hot dawg in his attached garage and to make it worse the utility room backs up to the garage wall . Even a empty spot to run a loop in 1 of the manifolds lmfao . Fucking IT  guys 

I gave him a bunch if shit and he returned it and we pexed in a loop to a old used modine excanger with a fan in the center of it from the house salvage yard for 90 bucks . 

My new house plan has 12 300ft loops in the main floor slab garage and home with r15 under slab.  And 4 loops in the loft 4 zones total  on there own pumps . Think I am more excited about my warm floors than all the rest combined lol 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

When I moved into this house, my 1500sqft shop was being heated by a 40k btu NG hung furnace. It ran all the time during cold temps. It died so I replaced it with a 60k unit as that was the largest btu unit I could put on the existing line. And the 60k unit runs all the time during cold temps....lol

Works fine at maintaining temp though. I keep it at 60 F most of the time.

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

My new house plan has 12 300ft loops in the main floor slab garage and home with r15 under slab.  And 4 loops in the loft 4 zones total  on there own pumps . Think I am more excited about my warm floors than all the rest combined lol 

I’d rather just wear some warm slippers and do something else with the extra money. :lmao:

11 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Forced air sucks ass . And besides your tax money will be flipping part of the bill lol

No, forced air doesn’t suck ass, most homes have forced air because of A/C and adding the cost of a boiler and everything else that goes with is not cost effective. In floor heat is for pussies, it’s like they’re cats who can’t stand to get their feet wet. :lmao:Like I said, a good pair of slippers takes care of that issue.

1 hour ago, Big Crappie said:

Same here.  Worked flawless and cranked up the heat in a three car quickly.

1 minute ago, snoughnut said:

No, forced air doesn’t suck ass, most homes have forced air because of A/C and adding the cost of a boiler and everything else that goes with is not cost effective. In floor heat is for pussies, it’s like they’re cats who can’t stand to get their feet wet. :lmao:Like I said, a good pair of slippers takes care of that issue.

Forced air sucks ass I have had both in many property's and it is shit we are one of the few counterys who even use the crap 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

When I moved into this house, my 1500sqft shop was being heated by a 40k btu NG hung furnace. It ran all the time during cold temps. It died so I replaced it with a 60k unit as that was the largest btu unit I could put on the existing line. And the 60k unit runs all the time during cold temps....lol

Works fine at maintaining temp though. I keep it at 60 F most of the time.

When I bought this place it came with a newer garage. 28x38. The previous owner built it with 6” fully insulated walls and garage door. He never finished the ceiling for some reason. There’s not that much difference between the cost of a 45 vs 60k btu. I think with the insulation factor a 60k might be overkill. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

When I bought this place it came with a newer garage. 28x38. The previous owner built it with 6” fully insulated walls and garage door. He never finished the ceiling for some reason. There’s not that much difference between the cost of a 45 vs 60k btu. I think with the insulation factor a 60k might be overkill. 

My shop is 40 years old and the build quality is questionable as it was built as a horse stable to satisfy local building reg's.

The 40k unit couldn't keep up in any real cold weather. I thought the 60 would heat faster therefore run less often and maintain better during cold snaps but it really doesn't. Some day I will need to look at re-insulating it but currently it costs me less than $100 per month in NG so hardly worth the research.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

My shop is 40 years old and the build quality is questionable as it was built as a horse stable to satisfy local building reg's.

The 40k unit couldn't keep up in any real cold weather. I thought the 60 would heat faster therefore run less often and maintain better during cold snaps but it really doesn't. Some day I will need to look at re-insulating it but currently it costs me less than $100 per month in NG so hardly worth the research.

You keep saying real cold weather.

:lol:

You ain't seen cold till you've spent a winter in Saskatchewan. 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

Forced air sucks ass I have had both in many property's and it is shit we are one of the few counterys who even use the crap 

Couldn't agree more.  We have in floor heat with a boiler in the garage.  Love it, keep it between 50 and 55. Any warmer and it gets too hot.

Also have in floor heat in the basement running off the hot water heater.  The basement is warmer and more comfortable than our main floor.

A standard single zone, forced air furnace is complete garbage in a home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Couldn't agree more.  We have in floor heat with a boiler in the garage.  Love it, keep it between 50 and 55. Any warmer and it gets too hot.

Also have in floor heat in the basement running off the hot water heater.  The basement is warmer and more comfortable than our main floor.

A standard single zone, forced air furnace is complete garbage in a home.

Yep.  In floor heat.  Period.  The south or mild climates that need air conditioning most of the year is the only place forced air units should be installed.  Even now, in GA, I miss my warm floors.

11 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Same one I have but 80,000btu.

9 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

That's because people want central A/C also, to add a separate boiler and everything that goes with it is not cost effective. I'm not disputing the 2 types, radiant heat is good, it's just not cost effective for 99.9% of homeowners. I've been in alot of homes over the years and 99.9% are forced air.

I have friends that have the Maxx ceiling heaters and they work pretty good. I'm looking at getting a 28x40 garage built and haven't decided to go with infloor/boiler or ceiling/floor wallmount propane heater. That'll all come into play after I check prices

10 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I live in NW Wisconsin, lots of below zero days/night, I stopped burning wood 3 years ago due to having Lyme's making it too hard to do, anyhow I have a 100,000 BTU forced air Propane furnace in my home, I pre-buy 1000 gallons of Propane each year, after last year I still had $622 remaining out of the $1,120 I paid up front for the pre-buy, very cheap to use forced air heat. I maintain 73 degrees in the home, 2X4 Walls, and cook with Propane, water heater is Propane.

Edited by XCR1250

12 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I live in NW Wisconsin, lots of below zero days/night, I stopped burning wood 3 years ago due to having Lyme's making it too hard to do, anyhow I have a 100,000 BTU forced air Propane furnace in my home, I pre-buy 1000 gallons of Propane each year, after last year I still had $622 remaining out of the $1,120 I paid up front for the pre-buy, very cheap to use forced air heat. I maintain 73 degrees in the home, 2X4 Walls, and cook with Propane, water heater is Propane.

That's pretty efficient!. We have infloor throughout run by a boiler and hooked up to 2-420"s. They have a monitor setup and when it pings them at 40% they come and fill which is every 3-4 weeks. Our cookstove has a separate 420 and they top it up every fall and it hardly uses any propane at all.

• Gold Member

I was kicking myself for not putting infloor heat in my garage floor.  I did put it in basement however its not hooked up to a boiler yet.  I have been told by many that infloor heat in the garage is the worst thing you can do as far as corrosion of vehicles goes.  I have a minisplit for AC and heat until it gets real cold then the hanging hot dawg takes over.  

1 minute ago, poopooforme said:

I was kicking myself for not putting infloor heat in my garage floor.  I did put it in basement however its not hooked up to a boiler yet.  I have been told by many that infloor heat in the garage is the worst thing you can do as far as corrosion of vehicles goes.  I have a minisplit for AC and heat until it gets real cold then the hanging hot dawg takes over.  

Any heated garage is going to increase the corrosion.  Melt off makes a salty swamp in the garage making sure it gets into every crevice.  

That said it's so nice getting into a 60 degree vehicle,  until you arrive at work and realize your wearing a short sleeve t shirt and sandals and it's 30.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Cheaper to have them run than to fast cycle . Ie You want the smaller unit to run longer than the large one to cycle more often . 

That is what every havoc guy has told me every time over the yrs when going over havoc calculations and sizing on many diff projects 

1 hour ago, poopooforme said:

How do you like the mini split for a/c? I’m stupid spoiled at work now with a/c and I’m thinking about putting a pair of them in my shop at home, when I built it. 

24 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Cheaper to have them run than to fast cycle . Ie You want the smaller unit to run longer than the large one to cycle more often . 

That is what every havoc guy has told me every time over the yrs when going over havoc calculations and sizing on many diff projects 

I have been told the same. For heat and a/c.  If the unit cycles too much, it’s too big.