Check your account email address ×

Ceiling hung garage furnace.

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Any recommendations? 45,000btu. Finished the drywall and ceiling insulation last weekend. Plan is to fire it with propane until mid summer when a NG line will get run. 

Remember it needs to be vented

I use an 80,000 btu Propane ceiling heater in a 24x24 garage, been there for at least 7 years now, heats it up fast, uses very small amount of Propane as the garage is insulated.

Edited by XCR1250

I put a 75,000 btu Sterling in my garage but it's 1200+ sq ft. It's been great although I've only had it a year, Reznor units are quite popular in this area.

35 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Any recommendations? 45,000btu. Finished the drywall and ceiling insulation last weekend. Plan is to fire it with propane until mid summer when a NG line will get run. 

See lots of these around here.  Many sizes available if you need more than 45k btu.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Modine-Hot-Dawg-45-000-BTU-Natural-Gas-Garage-Ceiling-Heater-HD45A/202812648#product-overview

10 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

See lots of these around here.  Many sizes available if you need more than 45k btu.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Modine-Hot-Dawg-45-000-BTU-Natural-Gas-Garage-Ceiling-Heater-HD45A/202812648#product-overview

Holy shit!  A Fusion 900 in a Home Depot listing.  lol  You needed a garage heater if you owned one of those abortions!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Make sure you buy one that can be converted to run Natural Gas or Propane, some units can not be converted to propane.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HSR said:

I put a 75,000 btu Sterling in my garage but it's 1200+ sq ft. It's been great although I've only had it a year, Reznor units are quite popular in this area.

How tall is your ceiling, Steve? My attached garage is 30x40 but it has a 10ft ceiling. I was planning on using a 75k in mine too. Walls are already insulated and I want to get my ceiling up and insulated this spring. Heater may have to wait until next fall but that’s fine. I’d just like to get some feedback from others that are using the same size forced air that I am looking at, in the same space that I have.

A LOT of people around here use radiant tube heaters and I think that’s overkill for my garage. I’d like keep this one just warm enough to melt off vehicles all winter and warm it up a bit past that for working out there, that’s all. 

8 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

How tall is your ceiling, Steve? My attached garage is 30x40 but it has a 10ft ceiling. I was planning on using a 75k in mine too. Walls are already insulated and I want to get my ceiling up and insulated this spring. Heater may have to wait until next fall but that’s fine. I’d just like to get some feedback from others that are using the same size forced air that I am looking at, in the same space that I have.

A LOT of people around here use radiant tube heaters and I think that’s overkill for my garage. I’d like keep this one just warm enough to melt off vehicles all winter and warm it up a bit past that for working out there, that’s all. 

Only 8 foot at this place,fully insulated. It's plenty,actually when it's running it's almost too fucking hot so I stage my jobs away from it. It doesn't have to run long to heat up. I usually turn it down to 56-58* at night,,,usually lol .

12 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Parking your vehicles in a heated garage will accelerate corrosion. I always used an osculating fan to promote some circulation and drying. It helps. 

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

My dad has one of those in his garage, works well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HSR said:

Only 8 foot at this place,fully insulated. It's plenty,actually when it's running it's almost too fucking hot so I stage my jobs away from it. It doesn't have to run long to heat up. I usually turn it down to 56-58* at night,,,usually lol .

Gotcha. I thought it might be a bit overkill. Good to know. :bc:

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Parking your vehicles in a heated garage will accelerate corrosion. I always used an osculating fan to promote some circulation and drying. It helps. 

I plan to put a couple of ceiling fans in for extra circulation but honestly, unless I just quit driving my vehicles in this state during the salt months altogether, they are going to rust, as far as I am concerned. That’s not even what I’m shooting for. I’ve always wanted to have a nice warm-ish garage to park my vehicles in during the winter. One day, a ZL1 Camaro will also be parked in there during the winter so that is another reason why I want to heat it. 

52 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i have my boiler return looped through my garage,  60 almost all the time.  wind blowing wrong at below zero it might lose 5 degrees.  

Ex coworker of mine did that. Jesus Christ it was always like Key West in his damn garage. :lol2:

7 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Ex coworker of mine did that. Jesus Christ it was always like Key West in his damn garage. :lol2:

I'd wouldnt mind Key West right about now. 

6 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

when vehicles melt off we have to open the doors a bit and turn on a fan,  it can be quite moist in there.  Makes a mess even with the mats on the floor.  Drives me nuts how much dirts in the garage now

canam.jpg

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

when vehicles melt off we have to open the doors a bit and turn on a fan,  it can be quite moist in there.  Makes a mess even with the mats on the floor.  Drives me nuts how much dirts in the garage now

canam.jpg

Are those tires swamp lites?

5 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

You might want to look at a wall furnace, they work well and blow the heat out just  above the floor and are quiet. 

52 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

canam.jpg

Oh on heavy snow days, I know it will be bad but I still want it.