Check your account email address ×

Michigan winters, as generations have known them, may be coming to an end

• Platinum Contributing Member

Up to 84 inches (7 feet) of snow has blanketed the area in the last 8 days, and another 4-5 feet of snow is forecasted over the next 10 days!

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021/01/04/mt-baker-snow-report/?fbclid=IwAR0LeaIrI4y0ZZLr8FsAOXqpfW0zwepux4baPI5lkjIsxWriUJk7R0lpxeg

Sledding is a dying sport in most places except the mountains....way more bang for the buck as well...and if you get a high performance sxs its pretty much the same rush as a sled....jmo of course. 

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Sledding is a dying sport in most places except the mountains....way more bang for the buck as well...and if you get a high performance sxs its pretty much the same rush as a sled....jmo of course. 

I've been in turbo Can Ams, I'd rather ride my 98 one lunger Tundra than a SxS let alone my 8fiddy which is night and day the experience. The problem with snowmobiling is you need to be committed to travel when the snow isn't where you're at, unfortunately with the border closed no Quebec for me this year... :sad:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

I've been in turbo Can Ams, I'd rather ride my 98 one lunger Tundra than a SxS let alone my 8fiddy which is night and day the experience. The problem with snowmobiling is you need to be committed to travel when the snow isn't where you're at, unfortunately with the border closed no Quebec for me this year... :sad:

I call bullshit on your first statement...mind you was it an og maverick turbo... an x3 turbo an x3 turbo r or an x3 turbo rr?

Mine will do 0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds. Easily does over 100mph.

Edited by Dave

It happens, and it will happen again.  My parents have a picture of us kids in shorts, barefoot on grass, on January 24th, 1981 at 54 degrees - this year is not quite that bad yet, but is definitely off to a slow start.....

Edited by Mag6240
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Dave said:

I call bullshit on your first statement...mind you was it an og maverick turbo... an x3 turbo an x3 turbo r or an x3 turbo rr?

Mine will do 0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds. Easily does over 100mph.

What tires are you trusting for off-road use and 100mph ???

Just now, f7ben said:

Them are spendy

320 each usd. I got them for free when I helped out with Tom last yr at the Parker 225...

I'd definitely buy them....awesome tire for everything but muskeg

The clown that wrote that is a leftist dipshit. Look at his twitter feed

Where was this dip shit during the 2013and 2014 winters when Lake superior froze all the way across and there was literally ice floating down into Lake Huron from superior On the Fourth of July? We had a boat that year at a marina on Lake St. Clair the water temperature of the lake was in the 60s it’s normally in the 80s by that time

Edited by jtssrx

Yes - the upper Midwest winters have been a Sledders dream....months of endless snow and trails - temps consistently below freezing - 100% of trails open for the entire season.  Epic snowmobiling for the last decade plus.  

And who was upset a couple weeks ago with 70K in winter toys sitting on green grass in December......

They have come to a n end, at least around here.  Winters are nothing like they used to be. We haven’t had ice for  winter fest in years.  Used to be trucks and trailers lined up all over the lake.  

11 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I think it was the winter of “94-95 that I took a week off work at the end of January first part of February to ride the keweenaw. No snow. Was a total suck ass year. 

I believe that is correct, I had a new ‘95 XCR 600 and remember that quite well. We did a lot of riding on Green Bay’s east shore, no doubt that year sucked the big one. 

31 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

I believe that is correct, I had a new ‘95 XCR 600 and remember that quite well. We did a lot of riding on Green Bay’s east shore, no doubt that year sucked the big one. 

If a guy wants to ride sleds he needs to go with the flow. Good years and not so good years. Part the issue for me is that I got tired of carting a sled all over gods creation looking for good snow. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

If a guy wants to ride sleds he needs to go with the flow. Good years and not so good years. Part the issue for me is that I got tired of carting a sled all over gods creation looking for good snow. 

yep

9 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

If you want to trail ride premium conditions, anywhere south of the known good regions of Canada, then yes, you have to be able to strike while the iron is hot and go wherever/whenever the conditions are good. The days of being able to go to the family cabin and ride out of there on good to great snow most of the winter is pretty much gone. At least in lower Michigan it is. Although I did get two VERY good trail rides in last year in the lower. On some of the heaviest traveled sections of trail even. But one was a mid week day run and the other was an early morning run out of my in-laws place on a Saturday. By 1 pm that day the trails were garbage.

Last winter was a late bloomer too so there’s still hope for this year. I can tell you this, I don’t buy new sleds every 2-3 years anymore. Last new sled was in 2009. I’ve bought used since then. $12-14,000 and then you spend another $2,000 just to make the sled “fit” you? Nah. I’ll pass. I’ll spend $7-8,000 on a couple year old sled and then I don’t feel so bad if I put a few grand into it from there. 

Hopefully cyclical...I remember some good and bad winters in the 70’s when I was a lad...IIRC the Winter of 78/79 was a whopper.:thumbsup:

Thanksgiving 1978 at my Grandmothers house in St. Clair Shores

94E1FC36-BA22-42AD-A644-27A36746C58B.thumb.jpeg.fb786216a420a791bac5e0d839a2feeb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the 90's my neighbor plowed my driveway. I would have a pile 10' or higher. Would square off the top build steps into the pile so my boys could use it as a ramp with their GT racers. Now in the last 15 years would be lucky to have a 4' pile

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Hopefully cyclical...I remember some good and bad winters in the 70’s when I was a lad...IIRC the Winter of 78/79 was a whopper.:thumbsup:

94E1FC36-BA22-42AD-A644-27A36746C58B.thumb.jpeg.fb786216a420a791bac5e0d839a2feeb.jpeg

Now that's the winters I seem to remember  :bc: 

• Like 1

My dad and grandparents always tell me about the horrible decade stretch of snow in the 1980s that actually made my grandparents sell all their sleds except for the two 1960s olympics and these were some of the first people in town to buy them and have had them from 1990 til now. 

Also most of the snowmobile manufacturers went out by 83 except for the ones we have left today (well cat too for a while).

It ebbs and flows and even with global warming itll still snow and we will still snowmobile, just might look different than today. I can't see myself getting out of it for quite some time, grandparents are 76 and they still do 1k miles a year right from their dooryard up north one 50 mile loop at a time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah, that was a nasty storm.  we were at my grandpa's house, about an hour and half away.   My Dad insisted we drive home in our 78 LTD .  Luckily Grandpa made my dad take a shovel with him.  I think we were on the road for like 14 hrs .  couldn't make it up our road so we had to abandoned the car and walk the rest of the way home.  Different  times then. people were getting out of their cars to help push each other up hills.  My Dad bought me and my brother a Yamaha Enticer that year.  we drove the track off it that year. The only time it stopped was to put gas & oil in it.  I need to get over to my parents and dig some of those photos out. 

• Like 1