Check your account email address ×

Not a good start

f7ben

3 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Sledding season is starting later & later almost every year now, sad.

zlezebub called it years ago,  tilted axis resulting in the snow being later and season lasting further into the spring.  

now if i could just get one of those 100mpg lincolns he had life would be good.  

Edited by Angry ginger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SnowRider said:

Should buy a permit to support the sport.  I bought an Ontario pass for several years - a couple I didn’t even go but it goes to a good cause.  Always designated District 15 out of Horrnepayne.  

2 hours ago, smokin george said:

I've been supporting for over 20yrs. I don't think they'll miss me this one time. 

Same. I have bought permits before and only got out once of twice. When my son was playing rep hockey in 16, we never got out once. Those $365 dollar permits are stuck to the garage fridge door. :(

I’m lucky if I get a ride in by Christmas without driving a few hours most years.  It’s too early to bitch and moan but it’s been pretty warm lately. Friggin grass is still green and too many warm days. Last rides with plenty of abuse for the motorcycle and old muscle car today before winter hibernation. If I was smart I would get out of this hobby. Spend 8 months of the year looking forward to 4 months. 

Edited by Crowder
  • Like 2

a couple of us managed to ride 100 miles today.  on motorcycles..  55 was the high here, with heavy rain and 60 the next couple days,,,, and it could stay that way here all winter and id be fine wit that.

Edited by old indy

3 hours ago, rump-rider said:

Same in the northeast. Long range looks better but it’s not gonna be the early start I was hoping for.

Much rather it hold off unlike last year when we had over 2 feet December 10th and it all rained away and didn't come back til after New Years. It'll come, I'm thinking my first grooming run will hopefully be around Christmas. :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member

We almost never have snow here until mid/late January. Sometimes rideable trails an hour north a week or so before that if the lake effect hits. Probably 10 years now since I rode in December but I don't chase early trails like I used to. Jan 15 to Mar 15 is a normal season, anything outside that is bonus.

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

We almost never have snow here until mid/late January. Sometimes rideable trails an hour north a week or so before that if the lake effect hits. Probably 10 years now since I rode in December but I don't chase early trails like I used to. Jan 15 to Mar 15 is a normal season, anything outside that is bonus.

We used to try to go home after Christmas vaca with 1000 miles on. That hasn’t happened in a long time. December riding was always the best because most don’t show up until later. 

17 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

zlezebub called it years ago,  tilted axis resulting in the snow being later and season lasting further into the spring.  

now if i could just get one of those 100mpg lincolns he had life would be good.  

Yep , started about 8-9 yrs ago. The seasons are moving back.Beautiful October days and snow into the begining of April.

26 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

My lakes been frozen over for weeks, drilled a 4 inch thick hole 8 days ago.

IMG_20201121_163644_4.jpg

Minnesota, correct?

Northern Wisconsin....

November 28, 2020 49 degrees and sunny. Water temperature 38 degrees.

FB_IMG_1606742418857.jpg.6310aea326a4b1247394a5b07cff63fa.jpg

From 2000-2016 we always did a New Years ride,dinner then a party afterwards. I think it might've been 1-2 times we had a bit of rain but the past 3-4 years it's been nothing but rain. We'd get some good snow then a ton of rain early January and we'd have to start again. We're in a snowbelt that's turning into a snowmelt

Seems we might get an early snow, then it melts and we never get enough to ride after that. Lakes haven't even frozen over 2 of the last 5 seasons and weren't very safe when they did the other 3.

Edited by 1jkw

33 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Southern NH has been very inconsistent last few years, some years TOTAL washout. Almost not worth worth the hassle. 

I am buying myself a Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO to ensure we have no snow this winter.  Sick of my old POS Toro that doesn;t throw wet snow worth a damn which fortunately only had to be used twice last winter.  Living less than a mile from the ocean lots of times we get slush when 3-4 miles up the road is all snow.  

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

We start off with this and think it's gonna be stellar lol

20200227_082539.jpg

Was that last year, George? I assume so as I remember the same in these parts. It gets you all excited thinking it is going to be a stellar year then it all melts. It's pouring rain out here right now and we are supposed to get a pile of it.

Been riding since late 70's purchased my first sled in the 92.   I honestly don't recall that many years up north with excellent riding before xmas.  Deer seasons interfere with them many times anyway and good ice before xmas has always been hit or miss.   Sledding really doesn't start till after xmas.  I rode the UP and the Mercer/Hurly area last year first week of December which to most we talked to was quite rare.  

I'm not saying the sledding seasons haven't pushed back a bit but I swear some of you think we should be riding from Halloween on every year.  :lol: