Check your account email address ×

US military flew terminally ill Bahrain premier to America

US military flew terminally ill Bahrain premier to America

Source: Associated Press

By JON GAMBRELL, Associated Press 47 mins ago 

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The U.S. military flew Bahrain's terminally ill prime minister to America for hospital care two months before his death, the State Department acknowledged Friday, underlining the importance of the island kingdom. 

The care offered to Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa came just after the U.S. military similarly flew Kuwait's late ruling emir to the same Mayo Clinic hospital in Minnesota. Both countries host major U.S. military bases in the region and are considered major non-NATO allies, granting them military and economic privileges with America. 

On Sept. 18, a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III “flying hospital” took off from Germany and landed in Rochester, Minnesota, the home of the flagship campus of the Mayo Clinic. It was followed to Rochester by a Boeing 767 owned by Bahrain's royal family. The Mayo Clinic at the time and since has declined to comment on the care it provided to Prince Khalifa, who died Wednesday at age 84. 

The Air Force uses such C-17s for medical evacuations, triaging critically wounded soldiers while rapidly flying them onto major bases. The aircraft include onboard oxygen and the same lifesaving equipment found in hospital emergency rooms. The flights often include critical care air transport teams comprised of a specialized doctor, a nurse and a respiratory therapist.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-military-flew-terminally-ill-bahrain-premier-to-america/ar-BB1aYcC8?li=BBnb7Kz

58 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The apologists for this make me sick.

:lol:  exactly what is the issue here.   Supplying a military ally with a lift,  OMG not that.  We can supply them through many presidencies with tools of war but help them out in a trump presidency with a ride to America for med care and it's an issue.  SMH

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I'm making a big assumption here that the OP takes issue with this in some way?

Well at least they werent flying Obama's relatives to America, amirite? Or were they...? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, F3600 said:

That damn American Healthcare...wonder why no flight to Germany, UK, France, et all.  Sure would have been a lot closer.

we subsidize the world by fucking our own citizens over with excessive expense.   most americans care is comparable to these first world socialized countries outside less wait times.  the rich and those lucky enough to live near the Mayo or MGH get what is truly the best care in the world.  My doc/hospital is part of the MGH system so I am fortunate if things ever hit the fan to be able to take advantage.  

• Gold Member
38 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

:lol:  exactly what is the issue here.   Supplying a military ally with a lift,  OMG not that.  We can supply them through many presidencies with tools of war but help them out in a trump presidency with a ride to America for med care and it's an issue.  SMH

I give up on the guy, I've never in my life seen someone get upset over so many things. I hope I don't get that bored when I retire.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Offering the best medical care in the world to strategic partners is just smart.   Not everyone has the aircraft capable of doing this kind of lift,  as long as we weren't leaving dying american soldiers behind to move him it's a non issue.  

Yeah they do . You can rent privet jet ambulance service if you have the money . They are all over the world . It will cost you.  One of my customers had to take one to mayo 9 hr flight actually.  Cost more than a average house but he would be dead otherwise so