Check your account email address ×

Michigan wants to ban EV sales

Michigan politicians are trying to block new electric vehicle manufacturers from doing business in the state. Although carefully worded to include any type of auto manufacturing company, the Michigan “Motor Vehicle Franchise Act” was created specifically to block Tesla from doing business there, an obvious favor to the dealerships. The law already includes certain restrictions on auto manufacturers, restrictions that limit their ability to sell and service their vehicles in the state.

The upside to this bill is that the language leaves room for creative solutions — such as the 2016 settlement brought by Tesla against the state. The Michigan Attorney General interpreted existing law to allow Tesla and other manufacturers certain sales-type activities at gallery locations. These include consumer education about products (such as EVs), discussions about the price, offering test drives, and discussing financing in order to facilitate online orders and delivery. The only restriction was that the transfer of the title of the vehicle had to take place out of state, to comply with existing law.

A new house bill in Michigan, however, has been introduced by Representative Sheppard (R) to amend the law so that no manufacturer except Tesla can support the sales or service of their vehicles in Michigan. Although Tesla stands to gain from this, it would go against its core mission and I believe it would actually harm Tesla. The company already gets a lot of criticism and outright hate from some of its ardent critics.

• Like 1

Those dealers make a lot of dough and have a lot of power. They’re not fond of the way Tesla is doing business where the company owns all the outlets. And apparently they have some legislators in their back pocket. Complete BS.

• Thanks 1

You cant "ban" the sale of a safe and legal product. Well at least you shouldnt be able to in a free market and free society. If I were an auto manufacturer I wouldnt go near Michigan with a 10 foot pole. Michiganders can just drive to Indiana or Ohio and buy one, stupid fucks

29 minutes ago, Cold War said:

New Tesla dealer off Dixie Highway. 
:dunno:.  

Did they resolve the lawsuit? Is it a company store? Didn’t hear anything about it.

Edit: I just read the settlement. They can sell the cars in Michigan but must be delivered in another state. They can also service them.

Edited by Edmo

• Platinum Contributing Member

I’m so upset by this news that I can’t buy a Tesla here. I can’t imagine all the Tesla owners that I see in the area, how will they ever buy their tesla if you can’t buy them here. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

I’m so upset by this news that I can’t buy a Tesla here. I can’t imagine all the Tesla owners that I see in the area, how will they ever buy their tesla if you can’t buy them here. 

For those near the borders not a huge deal but still silly

Seems like a clear violation of the 14th.

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

ridiculous that the manufacturers and dealers have the power to keep other companies out.  So much for free enterprise.  

MI is not the only state that has tried/has kept Tesla frozen out and will with these other companies as well I am sure.  

Coca cola did the same thing to the soda machine makers.  you know the thing that ads the bubbles to water then ad your own flavoring.  they managed to make it illegal to sell in the USA for a while.  you could by it in RUSSIA but not the U.S.A.       crazy

3 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

It's funny they call Trump a Nationalist and then try to ban the sale of EV's to protect GM FORD and CHRYSLER. Isn't this the same as America First but it's Michigan first?

This lawsuit has been going on since way before Trump came along. The dealer groups are very powerful as you can see by the settlement. Again, its complete BS IMO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Edmo said:

This lawsuit has been going on since way before Trump came along. The dealer groups are very powerful as you can see by the settlement. Again, its complete BS IMO.

If I had to guess the people pushing this are Democrats

18 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

For those near the borders not a huge deal but still silly

Sure is but it’s not stopping those who want one. They are all over around here considering you can’t actually buy one here. The new Tesla Service station is nice for them. Always wondered how much of a pain in the ass it would be to get one serviced around here  

5 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Sure is but it’s not stopping those who want one. They are all over around here considering you can’t actually buy one here. The new Tesla Service station is nice for them. Always wondered how much of a pain in the ass it would be to get one serviced around here  

They’re all over the place in Chicago. Quite a few in my neighborhood. Fuckers sneak up on you sometimes, all I hear is the tires.

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

They’re all over the place in Chicago. Quite a few in my neighborhood. Fuckers sneak up on you sometimes, all I hear is the tires.

I still can’t get used to that stealth they have. I’m thankful my parents didn’t have them when I was going up. :lol: