Check your account email address ×

1200HP Jetski running 135MPH

48 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

So a mod VP decked STV (pickle fork boat about 20 feet long) with a mod 300 Merc drag ( about 375 HP) ran the speed traps at a shootout at 141 mph. No turbo probably twice as heavy as a jet ski.  1200 HP to go 135? Great.

I dunno how you'd possibly put 1200HP actual load thru the impeller and housing in that hull

3 minutes ago, Tinker said:

I dunno how you'd possibly put 1200HP actual load thru the impeller and housing in that hull

Most jet skis made from straight chopper gun fiberglass. Which on a small hull is no big deal unless you start to feed it 1200 HP.

• Platinum Contributing Member
45 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Stainless wear ring and billet impellers  :dunno: 

How do they do it in the big HP boats with Berkeley jet pumps?

2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Stainless wear ring and billet impellers  :dunno: 

How do they do it in the big HP boats with Berkeley jet pumps?

They have pretty big impellers....more than 12 inches in dia. There are some axial flight w pumps as well which use multiple implelers in a row.

Not sure how you keep enough housing in the water at those speeds to not start sucking air.  That's nutty.  I've broken all kinds of things crashing at shortline on my slalom ski hitting about 55 MPH behind the boat.  Would be like splatterworks coming off that thing at a buck thirty.

• Gold Member

No desire to run around ona wave runner.  
Pretty excited to take a rip in my bosses Lt4 powered white water boat.  It’s in the paint shop now and should be ready for some river shredding by the end of next month.

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

No desire to run around ona wave runner.  
Pretty excited to take a rip in my bosses Lt4 powered white water boat.  It’s in the paint shop now and should be ready for some river shredding by the end of next month.

If Ford made one though....  :lol: 

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

If Ford made one though....  :lol: 

They do.....
https://www.indmar.com/engines/raptor-575/

Prolly the most popular engine  in whitewater boats currently.   lt4 Marine is rather new And is like 100 or so pounds lighter and 50 more hp or so and about a $12000 upgrade over the raptor

2 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

So a mod VP decked STV (pickle fork boat about 20 feet long) with a mod 300 Merc drag ( about 375 HP) ran the speed traps at a shootout at 141 mph. No turbo probably twice as heavy as a jet ski.  1200 HP to go 135? Great.

Jet drives loose big hp.

40 on the top is 30 at the jet.

6 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

It’s all about packin air

32 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It’s all about packin air

There is another thing to consider when you talk about jet boats......the lifting of water. When you lift water it puts weight on the boat. I know a jet pump only moves water a few inches above the water line but when you are talking tons of water per minute it has a tendency to slow up a hull. The jet drag guys run something called a drop snoot to over come some of this but jets have limits.

Edited by Carlos Danger

16 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

There is another thing to consider when you talk about jet boats......the lifting of water. When you lift water it puts weight on the boat. I know a jet pump only moves water a few inches above the water line but when you are talking tons of water per minute it has a tendency to slow up a hill. The jet drag guys run something called a drop snoot to over come some of this but jets have limits.

I’ve read mention of the snoot and never knew what it was.

4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

They do.....
https://www.indmar.com/engines/raptor-575/

Prolly the most popular engine  in whitewater boats currently.   lt4 Marine is rather new And is like 100 or so pounds lighter and 50 more hp or so and about a $12000 upgrade over the raptor

A “Wave Runner” as you put it. Not a boat you haul ass up the Snake River

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

A “Wave Runner” as you put it. Not a boat you haul ass up the Snake River

Oh I see.  Those wave runner/sea doo/jet ski things got boring pretty quick when younger.  Real boats are cool though

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

There is another thing to consider when you talk about jet boats......the lifting of water. When you lift water it puts weight on the boat. I know a jet pump only moves water a few inches above the water line but when you are talking tons of water per minute it has a tendency to slow up a hull. The jet drag guys run something called a drop snoot to over come some of this but jets have limits.

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Oh I see.  Those wave runner/sea doo/jet ski things got boring pretty quick when younger.  Real boats are cool though

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

Don’t confuse the sparky   with the actual facts about water drag,  aerodynamics      and the difference betewween the two. not to mention lift at speed.

I’m  sure master of crashed cars is well versed in all forms of Motorsports...... 

Edited by Sleepr2
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2020 at 7:48 PM, Carlos Danger said:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is what you are talking about? Crappy pics don't really show it but I believe my bud said he put a "Snoot" on it? 

HPIM0659 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0695.JPG

HPIM0697.JPG

Jet%20boat%20@%20Trailer%20Sept%202%202012%20015.jpg

Jet%20boat%20@%20Trailer%20Sept%202%202012%20023.jpg