Check your account email address ×

Look at Sweden Trump says they are doing fantastic......

Sweden's death rate from COVID-19 surpasses USA

Source: 9news

Sweden has had a surge in deaths from coronavirus, surpassing the rate of the USA, according to new figures. 

The Scandinavian nation controversially rejected the stricter lockdown approach of other countries in their strategy to overcome the COVID-19 pandemic, keeping most schools open, as well as stores and restaurants. 

According to data from John Hopkins University, now Sweden has a death rate of 297.16 for every 1 million citizens, after 3,040 died from coronavirus. There have been 24,623 confirmed COVID-19 cases and so far 4,074 have recovered. 

Comparatively the death rate in the US is 226.33 per 1 million citizens, after 74,239 have passed away from the virus.

Read more: https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-sweden-death-toll-covid19-rate-greater-than-usa/2ff8dd35-ecdc-42b8-bc89-5da7736f52cd 

Yet, Trump has been pushing the U.S. to adopt the Sweden model. Also, Sweden has several advantages that the U.S. does not. Sweden does not have large, multi-generational families living in one house. In some way, they are naturally socially distanced, but even with this factors, they are experiencing a surge in deaths.

Just now, Angry ginger said:

I'd have been willing to accept a death rate in the ballpark of 500 per million to leave the economy open. 

WOW the economy wouldn’t stay open as the infection rate would be huge and many would stay home for their own safety.

Economy open or not it would be just as bad or maybe worse.

i'm not so sure the people would have taken enough precautionary measures if we'd had just left the economy open.  However easing our way back into it now, I think most will do the right thing act accordingly.  Somehow places of work are going to have to adapt to new ways of setting things up for people to work along side one another. 

Edited by hayward
  • Like 2

This has got to be the 100th thread started about Sweden. They chose to go about this a bit differently than other countries. Why does that cause so much butthurt?

:dunno: 

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

WOW the economy wouldn’t stay open as the infection rate would be huge and many would stay home for their own safety.

nah end of the day no one really cares about old people dying outside our own parents and I was willing to sacrifice them.  We could certainly handle 3x the death and hospitalization rates.  For all the front line nurses being put on the pedestal outside a couple of areas hospitals are empty and workers there are being laid off.  

3 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Your predictions about elections and global warming have been so reliable...

15 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’m surprised that America still cared enough about vulnerable old people to close it down. Gives me a little more than what I had before in American society. 

if a vote was taken and people were told under 60 you stand no real risk and over 60 there is a 3-5% risk of getting corona and a death percentage at maybe 2% of those with it I think america would do the right thing and stay open.  most i know over 60 would vote to be open.  

Edited by Angry ginger

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

if a vote was taken and people were told under 60 you stand no real risk and over 60 there is a 3-5% risk of getting corona and a death percentage at maybe 2% of those with it I think america would do the right thing and stay open.  most i know over 60 would vote to be open.  

All speculation. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Nursing home population is 1% of our states total population and accounts for nearly half the corona deaths......it is not the workforce that is suffering from this virus.....we should have never shut down. 

• Like 1

so, our group of fuck ups, lib, ndp, tory get together and solve the worlds problems. a lot of good natured ribbing. but we have this one cat that has TDS (trudeau derangement syndrome). he has in the last while become unbearable. doesnt matter what it is, it is trudeaus fault. we all feel sad about him having his life dictated by that. he has become a joke and we all call him on a lot of the shit he spews. well, he doesnt get together now and stays at home on the interweb. i am wondering MC if you have a relative of scottish descent in canada?

20 hours ago, Mainecat said:

You know MC its pretty easy to sit on the sidelines saying society should remain closed when its not your business staying closed or failing.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

You know MC its pretty easy to sit on the sidelines saying society should remain closed when its not your business staying closed or failing.

It’s hard to give a fuck about human lives for some people Highmark.

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The biggest opponents of keeping everything closed are the ones getting paid to sit at home.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Highmark said:

He’s never had any skin in the game and never will.

12 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

The biggest opponents of keeping everything closed are the ones getting paid to sit at home.

Yup.

26 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It’s hard to give a fuck about human lives for some people Highmark.

Pretry sure if a dem was in office you would be preaching partial opening of society.

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

He’s never had any skin in the game and never will.

Yup.

We do work at a few gubberment buildings. They are now saying this week that they aren’t going to open back up until July 1???? They are really getting comfortable at home getting full pay and benefits.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

We do work at a few gubberment buildings. They are now saying this week that they aren’t going to open back up until July 1???? They are really getting comfortable at home getting full pay and benefits.

They’ve been comfortable for decades.  They are just really good at taking advantage of it at any opportunity.

• Like 1