Check your account email address ×

The official billiards thread

I noticed a gentleman selling a vintage Viking cue on facefuck. He was from Grand Marais and didn’t want to ship the cue. I had to take the bmw down to Duluth yesterday and the guy offered to meet me in Silver Bay. It was an awesome day for a drive so wife and I took the long way to Duluth and picked up the cue.

Guy was the original owner of the cue stick and bought it in the mid 80s. Said he rarely played. Cue is pristine and I believe it’s a 1981 B100. 

Here it is on the bottom pictures next to my Viking G62 

I snagged it for $150. It was $100 in 1981 and similar cues sell for $350-500 now

C534C904-85EE-4ED2-B2A3-935B075E625B.jpeg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I noticed a gentleman selling a vintage Viking cue on facefuck. He was from Grand Marais and didn’t want to ship the cue. I had to take the bmw down to Duluth yesterday and the guy offered to meet me in Silver Bay. It was an awesome day for a drive so wife and I took the long way to Duluth and picked up the cue.

Guy was the original owner of the cue stick and bought it in the mid 80s. Said he rarely played. Cue is pristine and I believe it’s a 1981 B100. 

Here it is on the bottom pictures next to my Viking G62 

I snagged it for $150. It was $100 in 1981 and similar cues sell for $350-500 now

C534C904-85EE-4ED2-B2A3-935B075E625B.jpeg

There's some crazy prices for cues out there. When I was in San Francisco years ago we went into a bar/poolroom and they had a DeShaw in the case for $10K. The fancy inlays don't make balls lol. I played with a Falcon that was a copy of a Joss and the only difference on it was the buttcap. 

I have an old McDermott EK-2 that I bought back in the early 90's thats worth twice what I paid.  It really is crazy what some of that old wood sells for.

Local leagues decided to end the season where they stood when the virus panic set in.  

33 minutes ago, frenchy said:

that your place? That's a nice set up :bc: 

It was trash when we bought. Green shag carpet, ceiling to floor windows that the seals had gone... completely had to rebuild that back wall. Wife wanted the house... said room looks good for a pool table. Bitch pushed every button I had. :lol:

2 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Who"s had a misspent youth hanging around poolrooms on here? Who's the best player you've played or watched play. 

Place in town called Nadines. 2 pool tables and 3 pinball machines. Used to beg dad for $1.........

Just now, Snake said:

It was trash when we bought. Green shag carpet, ceiling to floor windows that the seals had gone... completely had to rebuild that back wall. Wife wanted the house... said room looks good for a pool table. Bitch pushed every button I had. :lol:

Place in town called Nadines. 2 pool tables and 3 pinball machines. Used to beg dad for $1.........

I personally like the look of the red tables far better too. 

7 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Who"s had a misspent youth hanging around poolrooms on here? Who's the best player you've played or watched play. 

I’ve always loved it. My buddies parent had a nice table in their den and we would play best of 100 all night sometimes. Best player I’ve ever played or watched was a guy named Jeff Weber. 

Often overlooked part of the game is the balls. A lot of the time what people think is a slight table roll is just a shitty set of billiard balls.

I just scored this set for home use

Cyclop Ladon....

54C19858-7376-4A48-B4AB-4C844E675685.jpeg

15 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I spent a bit of time in pool halls but a lot of the bars I frequented back in the day also had pool tables. I had one growing up as did my close friend so the need to play pool in a pool hall was only necessary when we wanted to play snooker.

My wife and I have talked about getting one for here over the years but we haven't yet.

I started hanging around poolrooms when I was 15-16 yrs old. I lost my lunch money every day trying to learn lol. I played snooker for close to 40 yrs and the best US players I saw way back were Strickland,Masse, Archer and a few others. Later on playing pool were Cory D, Hatch, Pagulyan, Jennifer Lee etc etc. I kinda wished i had played more 9 ball, 8 ball and straight pool. 

9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Often overlooked part of the game is the balls. A lot of the time what people think is a slight table roll is just a shitty set of billiard balls.

I just scored this set for home use

Cyclop Ladon....

54C19858-7376-4A48-B4AB-4C844E675685.jpeg

There are tons of factors on a table. The worst is a worn out cue ball, rail height, dirty cloth etc

I played a lot of pool in my younger days, played in a league for a number of years, played an older gentleman that had played against Fats and some other pros.  I was pretty decent on level tables because I hit the cue softly and used English a lot.

46 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Friends and I played a lot from 9-15 years old or so. During that time the old guy that ran the place took a liking to me so I’d be in there playing billiards with him as well or helping him with stuff around the bowling alley. 

I never played much again until I was about 20 and then I picked it up like riding a bike. Played for several years again with a couple different teams, we won some tournaments. 

I’ve barely played at all the last couple years, just don’t care to hang out in bars that much anymore. I toss around the idea of getting a table again. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member

My grandfather was quite a good player. He won my grandmother's wedding ring in a game. He also won a city leave tournament that earned him a chance to play an exhibition game against the reigning champ of the era. My grandpa always joked that once he missed he never shot again, the champ never missed a shot. We have old school slate Brunswick in my mother's house. 

• Like 1

When we were kids a couple of my friends had tables, we would play for days on end. When I was over 21 we played in several pool leagues. I probably haven't played more than 6 games in the last 15 years now. 

Sold my dynamo bar box and bought another table yesterday 

Ive never seen or heard of this manufacturer but this table is very cool. Much better quality than a typical valley table. Completely made in Europe 

I am recovering the bed and rails in tournament blue cloth

https://www.samleisure.co.uk/product/bison-7ft-american-pool-table/