Check your account email address ×

Pellet grill/smoker...what do you like?

Sold my charcoal smoker, looking for a smallish pellet grill, under 500 sq in.  Looking to do the single pork butt, turkey, or 2 rack of ribs, small brisket at a time.  Want to do steaks as well.  What do you have or like?

Just got a weber smoke fire on Friday. So far smoked wings, grilled burgers and lamb chops yesterday. So far so good! Old weber summit was 16 years old and didn't feel like putting new burners or flavor bars in for a third time plus belly pan had a few rust holes.

I've had my grill for 6yrs and and still have the original burners. I pulled them out and wire brushed them, cleaned out all the holes with a small drill and good to go. The grill has a searing burner,rotisserie, side burner and a warming oven. I've never covered the grill lol

My buddy, who was a die hard wood smoker, bought a traeger last year.  He was skeptical....and I made fun of him.  

As it appears, we were both wrong.  Now I’m seriously considering one myself this year.  I can spare a few credits coming off my man card....especially if I can keep my wood smoker limping along.

Just now, Zambroski said:

My buddy, who was a die hard wood smoker, bought a target last year.  He was skeptical....and I made fun of him.  

As it appears, we were both wrong.  Now I’m seriously considering one myself this year.  I can spare a few credits coming off my man card....especially if I can keep my wood smoker limping along.

Target?

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Now that’s interesting.

Yep....bunch of preset ones in the app for different recipes or it takes about 1 minute to write your own.   Need something to start at 400 to sear then back down to 225 to smoke?   It all can be set up.   Also can go to 500 degrees.  

I can be sitting inside and check or adjust grill and food temp without leaving my seat.  About the only thing it won't do is flip your food for you.  :lol:  

Need something cooked to an internal temp of 165.    Set and forget.    Soon as food temp probe hits 165 it will back down to any temp you need to avoid overcooking.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grillus.main.ui&hl=en_US

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yep....bunch of preset ones in the app for different recipes or it takes about 1 minute to write your own.   Need something to start at 400 to sear then back down to 225 to smoke?   It all can be set up.   Also can go to 500 degrees.  

I can be sitting inside and check or adjust grill and food temp without leaving my seat.  About the only thing it won't do is flip your food for you.  :lol:  

Need something cooked to an internal temp of 165.    Set and forget.    Soon as food temp probe hits 165 it will back down to any temp you need to avoid overcooking.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grillus.main.ui&hl=en_US

Impressive.  

1 minute ago, Laborer said:

Weber smoke fire reaches 600 degrees, plus has app for smart phone and has 4 probes for meat temp. I can have 4 different cuts of meat all with their own probe. Pretty slick

Nice machine 👍

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Green Mountain.   I like the wireless communication and ability to set up cook cycles for time and temp. 

My neighbor Merrit, right next door, has a Green Mountain. Full wireless control. It works great. 

My plan is to get the Traeger 575 Pro next fall when we get back. Wifi is the only way to go with a pellet stove. 

The one on my radar right now is the Green Mountain Davy Crockett.  I haven't seen it in person yet so I'm still skeptical about the size and the fact it has no wheels and would need a cart or carry setup every time.  But I like the reviews and the Wifi is a must for me.  I'll check out those Webers.

2 minutes ago, F3600 said:

The one on my radar right now is the Green Mountain Davy Crockett.  I haven't seen it in person yet so I'm still skeptical about the size and the fact it has no wheels and would need a cart or carry setup every time.  But I like the reviews and the Wifi is a must for me.  I'll check out those Webers.

Merrit has the Davy Crocket. Works both on 12vdc or 120vac.  Its small but heats up fast and works great. Its a very nice portable smoker. 

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
20 minutes ago, F3600 said:

Which model?

A 8 year old Jim Bowie...  old school.  Low Pellet alarm would shut off on my last cook last week so I cut the wire to the alarm.  Been flawless other then that with 8 years I have owned it