Check your account email address ×

Immigration into Canada with a DWI

• Gold Member

Anyone else have an issue?  I have a phone consult with a Nook immigration lawyer to see about getting "rehabilitated" according to Nook law.

I dunno why a bunch of drunk ass Canadians think they should judge an American for being drunk! Jerks!

• Haha 1

Just now, Kivalo said:

Anyone else have an issue?  I have a phone consult with a Nook immigration lawyer to see about getting "rehabilitated" according to Nook law.

I dunno why a bunch of drunk ass Canadians think they should judge an American for being drunk! Jerks!

Maybe you shouldn't have driven while under the influence!!!

1 minute ago, Kivalo said:

It can be done. I know some that said fuck it.

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, Redheaded Stepchild said:

It can be done. I know some that said fuck it.

Yeah I know some who have been turned away and some who have no issues getting in.

• Like 1

someone i know was up there yrs ago to set up a hot top plant. he was in charge plant was made in the us. they were fine with him but he could not take any tools with him. as long as he was boss and thats all. didnt want him taking a canadians job 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

Friend of mine did, paid a big fine and they cleared him for entry.

Rehabilitation is a joke. Pay up and we might let you in. I know several that have done it for the need to travel up there for work. I think the issue has to be a certain number of years old before you can apply for it. If you only have one thing holding you up that is relatively old, with a clean background otherwise, it would probably go through from what I have heard. 

Edited by Crowder

2 hours ago, Kivalo said:

So, are you sayin' you're lookin' to move to Canada???? 

Are you applying for residency or citizenship? 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Polaris 550 said:

So, are you sayin' you're lookin' to move to Canada???? 

Are you applying for residency or citizenship? 

No, I need to enter Canadian ports for work.

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Kivalo said:

I did it about 5 yrs ago. Wasn't for booze but for weed and some other small bullshit.

It's a pita and takes about 6 months. 

Had to pay $200, get a copy of my criminal record ( or lack there of ) from every state I ever lived in . ( had to be fingerprinted before California would release my record to me ) 

Right a response to every arrest ( not just conviction) with why it happened , what I have changed to make sure it would never happen again ect.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

I did it about 5 yrs ago. Wasn't for booze but for weed and some other small bullshit.

It's a pita and takes about 6 months. 

Had to pay $200, get a copy of my criminal record ( or lack there of ) from every state I ever lived in . ( had to be fingerprinted before California would release my record to me ) 

Right a response to every arrest ( not just conviction) with why it happened , what I have changed to make sure it would never happen again ect.

What a pain in the ass!

On the bold, my lawyer told me that as well.

6 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Kinda like the USA denying entry to anyone that admits to having used pot any time in the past. Now if a criminal case is before the courts then fine. Otherwise shit like a dwi or pot should be ignored.

• Thanks 1

Dwi in canada is like a felony. We do not have felonies or misdemeanors in our system but it is the equivalent.  Hence your inadmisibility. England does it right. Any crime where no jail term was served is wiped after 7 years. That includes people from other countries entering.

30 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

Dwi in canada is like a felony. We do not have felonies or misdemeanors in our system but it is the equivalent.  Hence your inadmisibility. England does it right. Any crime where no jail term was served is wiped after 7 years. That includes people from other countries entering.

That makes sense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kivalo said:

1st offense?

8 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

yeah

There’s a form called the temporary resident permit. I’ve had to fill them out on clients. They typically require 5 years from the date of not just the offense, but completion of all classes and/or treatment as well as assessment. You need to show good reason for being in the country and how being there could benefit Canada. You’re much more likely to get a permit if it’s work related. As a treatment provider I needed to fill out a section. There can be absolutely no mistakes or it’ll be rejected. The last time I completed one was 3 years ago. As such, the requirements may have changed. 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

There’s a form called the temporary resident permit. I’ve had to fill them out on clients. They typically require 5 years from the date of not just the offense, but completion of all classes and/or treatment as well as assessment. You need to show good reason for being in the country and how being there could benefit Canada. You’re much more likely to get a permit if it’s work related. As a treatment provider I needed to fill out a section. There can be absolutely no mistakes or it’ll be rejected. The last time I completed one was 3 years ago. As such, the requirements may have changed. 

Yeah that's an option as well, not persuing that right now tho. I will if I need immediate access to Canada tho.

10 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Yeah I know some who have been turned away and some who have no issues getting in.

I don't know what they use to decide . I know plenty of guys who have had to run a credit card to get in because of 20 yr old dui and others with dui who just drive in no issues . then last yr one guy I know was with his family in NY and they let him roll right in and this guy had like 3 dui as early as 12 yrs ago . I don't know what there sorting prosses is . 

best I can guess guys on guy trips get stoped and made to pay . guys on family trips no issues,.

my wife goes up to a friend's at least 1 time a yr . and she got a fyi in CA about 28  yrs ago never a issue . lol she was poped the week California  went to .08  she was .08 would have been good in MN for another decade with that one .