Check your account email address ×

Here comes the lockdown

Just now, f7ben said:

It’s the places closing for 2-3 weeks that fuck the employees the worst because lot of times the short layoff won’t get them an UI claim 

they aren't "fucking" the employee.  with no revenue coming in lots of small businesses would be bankrupted by being forced to pay for people not working for that period.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

they aren't "fucking" the employee.  with no revenue coming in lots of small businesses would be bankrupted by being forced to pay for people not working for that period.  

I didn’t mean there was any intention. It’s just the consequence of a 2-3 week layoff. No money and likely no UI check

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It’s the places closing for 2-3 weeks that fuck the employees the worst because lot of times the short layoff won’t get them an UI claim 

I feel sorry for the small businesses like food services that don't have forward cash flow to run a few weeks, but come on, these fuckers can and should.

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I feel sorry for the small businesses like food services that don't have forward cash flow to run a few weeks, but come on, these fuckers can and should.

I’m talking about low income people living check to check. going 3 weeks without pay is devastating 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’m talking about low income people living check to check. going 3 weeks without pay is devastating 

I understand Ben, but many small businesses are also running thin.  That's why I commented on a dentist office that should not be in a dire cash flow problem and has no excuse to keep their people.

Fyi, not a concern here as we will pay our guys for several months or even a year before that is an issue.

15 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Unfortunately.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I understand Ben, but many small businesses are also running thin.  That's why I commented on a dentist office that should not be in a dire cash flow problem and has no excuse to keep their people.

Fyi, not a concern here as we will pay our guys for several months or even a year before that is an issue.

I feel equally for the small businesses...

I think my comments were misunderstood

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Nobody is listening anyhow...fuck it.

I’m in Clearwater right now. “Packed” is not what I’d call it. I’ve been here for spring break before and it’s way less busy that normal. Many rooms available at reasonable prices.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Edmo said:

I’m in Clearwater right now. “Packed” is not what I’d call it. I’ve been here for spring break before and it’s way less busy that normal. Many rooms available at reasonable prices.

Ok....all is well then.

Pretty easy to understand that if small or even some medium size businesses can’t bring in expendable income for whatever reasons (forced to close, customers scared to leave homes, clients hold off on orders, etc.), they can’t keep a large block of “unskilled” help on the payroll.  The problem then starts to multiply.  If we go longer than just a few weeks with this, we may be in serious trouble. My area is primarily service based (because it’s an area run by idiots) which means many jobs and income depend on tourism dollars.

This fear is absurd.  Absolute absurdity.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Pretty easy to understand that if small or even some medium size businesses can’t bring in expendable income for whatever reasons (forced to close, customers scared to leave homes, clients hold off on orders, etc.), they can’t keep a large block of “unskilled” help on the payroll.  The problem then starts to multiply.  If we go longer than just a few weeks with this, we may be in serious trouble. My area is primarily service based (because it’s an area run by idiots) which means many jobs and income depend on tourism dollars.

This fear is absurd.  Absolute absurdity.

Careful what we wish for.  This sudden halt has caused one of my only local customers to report a 50% drop in revenue.  They are just under a billion in direct customer sales and happen to be my smallest customer via gross sales.

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Careful what we wish for.  This sudden halt has caused one of my only local customers to report a 50% drop in revenue.  They are just under a billion in direct customer sales and happen to be my smallest customer via gross sales.

Like I said, it can quickly become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  We’d better start getting our heads screwed on straight....and real soon.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Ok....all is well then.

I notice folks were staying farther apart on the beach. i washed my hands like 100 times today and we’re walking around with hand sanitizer in our pocket. But leave it to the media to sensationalize just about everything.

4 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

It’s only getting worse around here. My work is being pressured to lockdown, fortunately I can still work due to my position. 

Hey DB, let's hunker down for two weeks and hope this is behind us.

• Like 1