Check your account email address ×

Walmart is hiring hundreds of truck drivers, paying nearly $90,000 per year

• Platinum Contributing Member

Walmart is hoping to tip the scales of the nationwide shortage of truck drivers in the other direction with its hiring plan for 2019.

The company is looking to bring on hundreds of drivers to build on the 1,400 it hired in 2018.

To combat what it calls an industrywide shortage of drivers, Walmart says it has revamped its orientation initiatives.

“These hiring events are both improving the skill level of our candidates and enriching their onboarding experience,” said Lori Furnell, Walmart’s director of driver talent acquisition. “We’re leaning heavily on the expertise of our Walmart road team and our certified driver trainers to grow our skilled fleet of professional drivers.”

The salary is also one of the benefits of the expanded truck driving program. The retailer says Walmart drivers will now earn, on average, $87,500 a year starting in February. That’s over $40,000 more than the average pay for truck drivers, according to 2017 statistics from the Department of Labor.

That salary figure could bring men and women back to the trucking workforce. According to projections by American Trucking Associations, the U.S. could be short 175,000 truck drivers by 2026.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Walmart is hoping to tip the scales of the nationwide shortage of truck drivers in the other direction with its hiring plan for 2019.

The company is looking to bring on hundreds of drivers to build on the 1,400 it hired in 2018.

To combat what it calls an industrywide shortage of drivers, Walmart says it has revamped its orientation initiatives.

“These hiring events are both improving the skill level of our candidates and enriching their onboarding experience,” said Lori Furnell, Walmart’s director of driver talent acquisition. “We’re leaning heavily on the expertise of our Walmart road team and our certified driver trainers to grow our skilled fleet of professional drivers.”

The salary is also one of the benefits of the expanded truck driving program. The retailer says Walmart drivers will now earn, on average, $87,500 a year starting in February. That’s over $40,000 more than the average pay for truck drivers, according to 2017 statistics from the Department of Labor.

That salary figure could bring men and women back to the trucking workforce. According to projections by American Trucking Associations, the U.S. could be short 175,000 truck drivers by 2026.

This shocks me.   Truck drivers in my area make extremely solid coin. 

The shipping business is huge these days due to Amazon and companies like walmart and Target which are amazons competitors. We have a lot of retail stores around here and they are struggling. These places pay the brunt of the property taxes and if they go down that leaves you know who to pick up the slack! Ill always try to buy local but its hard for these stores to stock everything when its less costly to ship it. Fucking Amazon is delivering on saturdays and sundays. I can order something on Amazon saturday night and its at my house sunday morning. 

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

The shipping business is huge these days due to Amazon and companies like walmart and Target which are amazons competitors. We have a lot of retail stores around here and they are struggling. These places pay the brunt of the property taxes and if they go down that leaves you know who to pick up the slack! Ill always try to buy local but its hard for these stores to stock everything when its less costly to ship it. Fucking Amazon is delivering on saturdays and sundays. I can order something on Amazon saturday night and its at my house sunday morning. 

Yeah, its crazy what Amazon has in stock.. BRP oil, BRP belts, studs, even C&A skis lol 

Just now, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

Yeah, its crazy what Amazon has in stock.. BRP oil, BRP belts, studs, even C&A skis lol 

We have a couple amazon distribution centers close by. Bout 3 months ago our ring doorbell chimed on sunday morning 8am. We were like "Who the fuck is that?" Go outside and the amazon van is driving away. I ordered something on Amazon the night before. 

Just now, Anler said:

We have a couple amazon distribution centers close by. Bout 3 months ago our ring doorbell chimed on sunday morning 8am. We were like "Who the fuck is that?" Go outside and the amazon van is driving away. I ordered something on Amazon the night before. 

that's awesome! lol  I get my shit from them under 3 days, if it is longer than 3 then I am like something went wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

Amazon has taken the competition to school on order time to delivery.  Damn.

that's awesome! lol  I get my shit from them under 3 days, if it is longer than 3 then I am like something went wrong. 

Its not eveerything but when you are scrolling it tells you what day they can get it to you by. I didnt really pay attention that time because it was nothing urgent and wasnt expecting it to be delivered on Sunday. But yeah they are rolling 7 days a week. 

I heard from some people who went to work at the dist centers that they are having a high turn over of workers there. I guess they work you like hebrew slaves. People like the money they are offering but dont want to work that hard. 

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

That is my number one reason for buying local . 

most of that stuff is not in stock it's sold by stores and shipped by them.  i have a friend who makes more money from their amazon/ebay store than they do from 2 physical locations selling collectibles.  Racks of merch in the garage where his wife literally sits and slaps them into bags and labels them every day..  

55 minutes ago, Anler said:

Its not eveerything but when you are scrolling it tells you what day they can get it to you by. I didnt really pay attention that time because it was nothing urgent and wasnt expecting it to be delivered on Sunday. But yeah they are rolling 7 days a week. 

I heard from some people who went to work at the dist centers that they are having a high turn over of workers there. I guess they work you like hebrew slaves. People like the money they are offering but dont want to work that hard. 

Nature of the business. Those UPS guys always hustle.

Just now, Anler said:

Our UPS and Fed ex guys are like the speedy delivery guy from Mr. Rogers. :lol: 

My guy runs from the truck to the door, and then back. I’ve never seen anything like it.

• Haha 1

Just now, Edmo said:

My guy runs from the truck to the door, and then back. I’ve never seen anything like it.

We dont unlock the front door at the office until the girls get here at 9am. Both the fed ex and UPS guy knock on my window before 9. 

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

I bought a Warn winch thru Amazon for $229 CDN. I like to support the local economy but a deal is a deal

If that were really true you would have bought the winch locally regardless. There's very few people who live by that mantra because cost is the bottom line.

2 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

If that were really true you would have bought the winch locally regardless. There's very few people who live by that mantra because cost is the bottom line.

I looked in town it was twice as much and the closest dealer was even more. All I needed it for was an old atv to lift/lower the plow so spending more wasn't worth it at the time. The only local we don't use is our in town lumber yard as they're a bunch of ignorant cunts and will drive another 20 min to the next town. 

1 minute ago, smokin george said:

I looked in town it was twice as much and the closest dealer was even more. All I needed it for was an old atv to lift/lower the plow so spending more wasn't worth it at the time. The only local we don't use is our in town lumber yard as they're a bunch of ignorant cunts and will drive another 20 min to the next town. 

Exactly, no way the local mom and pop schleps can compete with online giants like Amazon etc. I see it all the time in my biz. Don't say you like to support the local economy and then buy it it online. What you should have said is "I like a deal, so I shop online". :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Exactly, no way the local mom and pop schleps can compete with online giants like Amazon etc. I see it all the time in my biz. Don't say you like to support the local economy and then buy it it online. What you should have said is "I like a deal, so I shop online". :lol:

I got a deal from China thru Amazon lol. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

Everything SkiDoo I buy from JayCox Power Sports in Bhentsota.  20% off, no tax and free shipping on orders over $100. Order by Monday they ship it Monday if the have it in stock.  If they don't it usually ships by Wednesday at the latest , have it delivered to my house by Friday.