Check your account email address ×

Boomers most recognized car sells for millions

18 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I remember seeing the fucking beatings some of the neighbor kids took from their dads who were WWII vets.  I was at a sleep over at my friend’s Mike. His dad beat him so badly that he could barely open his eyes the next morning. We were just little then. Maybe 8. 

My dad was a mean mother fucker. I never got bloodied up tho. He still is a mean mother fucker. :lol:

14 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

I read the article. I get the Hagerty magazine because I have 2 cars insured with them.

You were wrong. Now you know.

:thumbsup:

I read it as well, we are preferred shop for Hagerty .  Get a stack of them every month. Pretty good articles . 

I chuckled too, just didn’t see any point in arguing with someone who is so obviously clueless about the hobby. 

original Gone in 60 seconds is the best car chase ever filmed. No Hollywood theatrics, that guy was driving that mustang. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I remember seeing the fucking beatings some of the neighbor kids took from their dads who were WWII vets.  I was at a sleep over at my friend’s Mike. His dad beat him so badly that he could barely open his eyes the next morning. We were just little then. Maybe 8. 

Wow! :(

And some people wonder why we have time outs nowadays instead of spankings. What did the kid do, exactly, to warrant that kind of beating? 

36 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I good beating on you could have gone a long way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, irv said:

Wow! :(

And some people wonder why we have time outs nowadays instead of spankings. What did the kid do, exactly, to warrant that kind of beating? 

We had these glow in the dark vampire teeth. He scared his little brother in the dark with and he started to scream. Nothing big. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

You can buy a blow up doll for a wife......it’s not the same as the real thing.

Good post!

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

No doubt in part from the beatings they took from dads of the greatest generation. 

Nothing like a slight concussion to get a message across.

My mom was a striker. You got the look and you knew not to go any further. Whatever she had like her purse or I even remember palms from Palm Sunday Mass. Her favorite device was the wooden paddle that has the elastic and rubber ball.

I remember my late good friend Wayne’s dad always beating him. It was really sad and one day when he was getting bashed my friend Ray said to Wayne’s dad knock it off! His dad approached Ray and was about to grab him and Ray kicked him square in the balls sending him to the ground, Ray jumped on him punching him in the face, took off like a rocket and ran home. Wayne’s dad never said a word after that and had to explain his black eye to everyone who asked. We all knew what happened.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I good beating on you could have gone a long way.

It goes a long way for some.  Nothing creates “knowledge” like pain.

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

Thread over!:thumbsup:

Close.

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Now it is single moms beating Their kids to death.   Progress!!!  

Well, you know....

13 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

My mom was a striker. You got the look and you knew not to go any further. Whatever she had like her purse or I even remember palms from Palm Sunday Mass. Her favorite device was the wooden paddle that has the elastic and rubber ball.

I remember my late good friend Wayne’s dad always beating him. It was really sad and one day when he was getting bashed my friend Ray said to Wayne’s dad knock it off! His dad approached Ray and was about to grab him and Ray kicked him square in the balls sending him to the ground, Ray jumped on him punching him in the face, took off like a rocket and ran home. Wayne’s dad never said a word after that and had to explain his black eye to everyone who asked. We all knew what happened.

“Striker”.

That’s new!

3 hours ago, Cold War said:

I read it as well, we are preferred shop for Hagerty .  Get a stack of them every month. Pretty good articles . 

I chuckled too, just didn’t see any point in arguing with someone who is so obviously clueless about the hobby. 

original Gone in 60 seconds is the best car chase ever filmed. No Hollywood theatrics, that guy was driving that mustang. 

Yes the original 74'? With Halicki? Was awesome. He beat that yellow mustang silly.

4 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Heavily reinforced = Shock tower braces?

:mc:

Thpinny for the win!

:whiteflag:

from the guy who built the cars. 

http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/BULLITT.html

Before the filming could be done, the Charger and the Mustang required preparation. One of the best wrenchmen in the movie business, Max Balchowsky, recalls the Mustang in particular needed considerable modifications so it could hold up during the relentless beatings it would take during the filming. "Carey said they were gonna do a lot of jumping with it, and he said it had to be strong. So I was a little hesitant. I didn't know if they wanted to go over 50 foot cliffs. I had no idea what they wanted to do until I got there." To beef up the Mustang, Balchowsky started with the suspension, reinforcing the shock towers, adding crossmembers and reinforcements, exchanging the springs for replacements with higher deflection rates and replacing the stock shocks with Konis. All suspension parts were magnafluxed and replaced where nescessary. The engine also came in for some modifications, including milling the heads, adding an aftermarket high performance ignition system and reworking the the carburetor and adding headers.

On the Mustang, Mr. Balchowsky recalls, "everybody suggested I put a Holley on the Mustang, it smokin.jpgwas better than the Ford carburetor. I've always had good luck with Fords, and didn't want to spend money if i didn't have to putting a Holley on. It ran good, needed just a few little adjustments. I changed the distributor and all, but basically never had the engine apart on the Ford." Ron Riner remembers "the stock Mustang had undercarriage modifications, not only for the movie, but for Steve McQueen. Steve liked the sound of the car and he wanted mags. We hopped it up because Steve wanted the car hopped up. He was still a kid."

Balchowsky remembers "I hardly had to anything to the Dodge's engine, but what I was worried about was the strength of the front end." To shore up the front, Balchowsky revised the torsion bars, beefed up the control arms and added heavy duty shocks. As with the Mustang, all parts were 'fluxed. For the rear end, Balchowsky told us, "I got some special rear springs, what you call a high spring rate, a flat without any arch in it, and using that spring the car would stay low. It's similar to the same springs they use in police cars, which makes a good combination. When the police specify a package, they have more spring here, a little bigger brake there, a little bit more happening in the shocks, and it makes a good car. But the director of BULLITT wanted a brand new car instead of an ex-police car, so I got the springs from a friend at Chrysler. We had to weld reinforcements under the arms and stuff on the Dodge. We did lose a lot of hubcaps on the Charger. We'd put the hubcaps back on, but I suppose it probably would have been better if we had lest them off."

"I'll tell you this," said Max Balchowsky, "I was really impressed with the Mustang after I got done with it. I didn't think it'd make that much difference beefing it up. Later, we took both cars out and went playing around with them over by Griffith Park (near Los Angeles). The Dodge, which was practically stock, just left the Mustang like you wouldn't believe." Ron Riner has similar recollections. "The Charger ran rings around the Mustang. We trimmed the tires down (on the Charger), we practically made them down to bicycle tires to try and handicap Hickman, and Bill just run them." Carey Loftin also recalls," we test ran the car at Griffith Park near the Observatory, up a long hill. and if you can run a car real hard up and down that hill it's working pretty good."

"The day before the chase scenes were to be filmed, we went up to Santa Rosa and rented the track,"said Balchowsky. "Steve wanted to test the car. A production manager would have cut your throat if you wanted to do something like that. An accident would have ruined the cars, and we were slated for Monday morning, 6:00 a.m. to start shooting. Hickman and Steve were buzzing around the tracks, and it was pretty even. McQueen and Hickman were both tickled with the cars. So, fortunately everything worked out."

4 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Someone is butthurt. 

No that is you . 
you beat him good!!! :lol:

8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

He just lost and you look like a bigger dummy than he is. “All stock. No mods” :lol: 

12 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

from the guy who built the cars. 

http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/BULLITT.html

Before the filming could be done, the Charger and the Mustang required preparation. One of the best wrenchmen in the movie business, Max Balchowsky, recalls the Mustang in particular needed considerable modifications so it could hold up during the relentless beatings it would take during the filming. "Carey said they were gonna do a lot of jumping with it, and he said it had to be strong. So I was a little hesitant. I didn't know if they wanted to go over 50 foot cliffs. I had no idea what they wanted to do until I got there." To beef up the Mustang, Balchowsky started with the suspension, reinforcing the shock towers, adding crossmembers and reinforcements, exchanging the springs for replacements with higher deflection rates and replacing the stock shocks with Konis. All suspension parts were magnafluxed and replaced where nescessary. The engine also came in for some modifications, including milling the heads, adding an aftermarket high performance ignition system and reworking the the carburetor and adding headers.

On the Mustang, Mr. Balchowsky recalls, "everybody suggested I put a Holley on the Mustang, it smokin.jpgwas better than the Ford carburetor. I've always had good luck with Fords, and didn't want to spend money if i didn't have to putting a Holley on. It ran good, needed just a few little adjustments. I changed the distributor and all, but basically never had the engine apart on the Ford." Ron Riner remembers "the stock Mustang had undercarriage modifications, not only for the movie, but for Steve McQueen. Steve liked the sound of the car and he wanted mags. We hopped it up because Steve wanted the car hopped up. He was still a kid."

Balchowsky remembers "I hardly had to anything to the Dodge's engine, but what I was worried about was the strength of the front end." To shore up the front, Balchowsky revised the torsion bars, beefed up the control arms and added heavy duty shocks. As with the Mustang, all parts were 'fluxed. For the rear end, Balchowsky told us, "I got some special rear springs, what you call a high spring rate, a flat without any arch in it, and using that spring the car would stay low. It's similar to the same springs they use in police cars, which makes a good combination. When the police specify a package, they have more spring here, a little bigger brake there, a little bit more happening in the shocks, and it makes a good car. But the director of BULLITT wanted a brand new car instead of an ex-police car, so I got the springs from a friend at Chrysler. We had to weld reinforcements under the arms and stuff on the Dodge. We did lose a lot of hubcaps on the Charger. We'd put the hubcaps back on, but I suppose it probably would have been better if we had lest them off."

"I'll tell you this," said Max Balchowsky, "I was really impressed with the Mustang after I got done with it. I didn't think it'd make that much difference beefing it up. Later, we took both cars out and went playing around with them over by Griffith Park (near Los Angeles). The Dodge, which was practically stock, just left the Mustang like you wouldn't believe." Ron Riner has similar recollections. "The Charger ran rings around the Mustang. We trimmed the tires down (on the Charger), we practically made them down to bicycle tires to try and handicap Hickman, and Bill just run them." Carey Loftin also recalls," we test ran the car at Griffith Park near the Observatory, up a long hill. and if you can run a car real hard up and down that hill it's working pretty good."

"The day before the chase scenes were to be filmed, we went up to Santa Rosa and rented the track,"said Balchowsky. "Steve wanted to test the car. A production manager would have cut your throat if you wanted to do something like that. An accident would have ruined the cars, and we were slated for Monday morning, 6:00 a.m. to start shooting. Hickman and Steve were buzzing around the tracks, and it was pretty even. McQueen and Hickman were both tickled with the cars. So, fortunately everything worked out."

I see the butthurt runs through you.

@Cold War knows what's up.

There were 2 identical mustangs. One was beefed up, the other was the good car.

The $3.4m car was the good one.

The other was found in Mexico, and restored quite a bit, hurting it's value.

Thanks for playing.

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

For that money, you could have a 918 Spyder, Carrera GT, GT2-RS, GT3-RS, and still have money left over for a Lambo and a couple daily drivers.  

Yeah I don't really like lambos but a Ferrari or two would be cool! Get one of those Tesla roadsters and a a half a dozen new sleds! And maybe a bike too!