Check your account email address ×

Trump vs. Windmills

4 minutes ago, Tickle Shits said:

Windmills are pretty stupid for energy production 

I wouldn't call them necessarily stupid, but they don't yield a good ROI for energy companies.

"Wind turbines kill between 214,000 and 368,000 birds annually "

Disclaimer: For all the TDS sufferers, I am not defending trump with this post.  LOL

Edited by racer254
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I wouldn't call them necessarily stupid, but they don't yield a good ROI for energy companies.

"Wind turbines kill between 214,000 and 368,000 birds annually "

Disclaimer: For all the TDS sufferers, I am not defending trump with this post.  LOL

Cats kill over a billion.   :lol:

Neal

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Drive through Palm Springs, west Texas or many other places and you will see hundreds and hundreds of broke down, dilapidated, non functioning wind turbines. They are littering the landscape in all directions. Many of the companies that owned and operated that equipment are long bankrupt. They took all the subsidies and income from the turbines but couldn't maintain or repair them so they just walked away.  Now the property owner or us tax payers are responsible for the clean up  

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Drive through Palm Springs, west Texas or many other places and you will see hundreds and hundreds of broke down, dilapidated, non functioning wind turbines. They are littering the landscape in all directions. Many of the companies that owned and operated that equipment are long bankrupt. They took all the subsidies and income from the turbines but couldn't maintain or repair them so they just walked away.  Now the property owner or us tax payers are responsible for the clean up  

Can you scrap them? 

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Many of the components aren't recyclable.  Im sure you can scrap parts of them. 

Because of their huge physical size they are expensive to get down and dismantle. 

Like what? I dont know what they are made of but I figured the columns are steel or aluminum. :dunno: 

6 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I've been in and through Palm Springs many times and have not seen hardly a one down or dilapidated...

In fact the SGP wind farm has been running since the 80s and provides surplus power for Palm Springs and the valley.

Neal

11 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Same in California. The hills are littered with broken down wind Mills. 

Just now, Carlos Danger said:

Same in California. The hills are littered with broken down wind Mills. 

If they were so productive why wouldn’t they would be fixed? Hmmmm.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

They are, @AKIQPilot and @Carlos Danger are full of shit.

Neal

I wonder if there’s anything they can do about the birds. :dunno:  Seems we went to great lengths in the Midwest to eradicate the chemicals that were killing birds in their environment and they rebounded really well.

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Anler said:

Like what? I dont know what they are made of but I figured the columns are steel or aluminum. :dunno: 

In the end I think it would cost money to recycle them the dog houses are full of lubricants and nasty shit.  Blades are composite.  California prolly charges an astronomical dumping fee for commercial waste the blades alone would prolly cost 1000’s upon thousands to dispose of never mind transportation costs.  Tower body and maybe some motor windings would be about it.

eventually wind farms will turn into superfund sites for future generations to deal with.

Edited by BOHICA

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

In the end I think it would cost money to recycle them the dog houses are full of lubricants and nasty shit.  Bladder are composite.  California prolly charges an astronomical dumping fee for commercial waste the blades alone would prolly cost 1000’s upon thousands to dispose of never mind transportation costs.  Tower body and maybe some motor windings would be about it.

eventually wind farms will turn into superfund sites for future generations to deal with.

Well how much do you think it costs to decommission a coal or nuke plant? We have decommssion 3 coal burners and 1 nuke here locally. The nuke is going on 6 years now and still has years to go. 

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

In the end I think it would cost money to recycle them the dog houses are full of lubricants and nasty shit.  Bladder are composite.  California prolly charges an astronomical dumping fee for commercial waste the blades alone would prolly cost 1000’s upon thousands to dispose of never mind transportation costs.  Tower body and maybe some motor windings would be about it.

Yea so the economics of wind Mills is not solely in power generation but is a mix of generation and carbon offsets. Rates and terms have much to do with deal the individual power generator makes with the local ISO.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Fix the grid.   Its completely inefficient.  Start there first.  

https://3dfs.com/articles/wasted-electricity-vs-lost-electricity-in-the-u-s-electrical-grid/12/2015

The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory releases the Energy Flow Chart for the U.S. every year. The latest Energy Flow Chart is here.

2014_us_energy

As we have highlighted previously, the U.S. loses more than 67.8% of the electricity that is generated in our Grid. These losses are categorized as “Rejected Energy.” 

Edited by Highmark

34 minutes ago, irv said:

Looks like the farm existed beyond the expected lifespan, and will get a large amount of recyclable materials from dismantle.  Nice!

Neal

• Thanks 1