Check your account email address ×

GM workers angry, some in tears, as the final vehicles roll off the line in Oshawa

irv

11 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Hate to say it but pension and health care have been crippling gm for yrs.

15 yrs ago they had 3.7 retired for every 2 workers

Those numbers are unsustainable

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

well if companies were actually forced to fund their pension fully these issues would not matter but they kicked the can down the road.  

VEBA or something like it should have been created a long time ago. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tinker said:

Huh ?

It means those pensions are not fully funded. They are being financed by a pyramid scheme where the money current employees are earning for retirement are being paid out to existing retirees. 

Edited by AKIQPilot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

12 years at the earliest,  16 at most. All depends on what happens. I hired in when I was older (almost 26)  and wasn't making good money until I was in my 30s. Wife and I did a lot of talking last month when I was off about her current situation with her family business. A lot will depend on what she does in 2 years when her parents retire. 

What’s her family business, selling dumb husbands? Cuz you’re the display model. Ahhaaahhaaa!!!!

:owned: 

:lol:

:bc: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, irv said:

Over 30 million dollars a year for GM. Add in the carbon tax, red tape, and a whole host of others costs, and people wonder why they're leaving? If I didn't know any better, I'd say the liberals are purposely trying to push businesses out of Ontario and the rest of Canada.:wall:

What government over saw those huge cost increases?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

they should wipe their tears with their liberal voting cards...…………………..or take a shit on Jerry Dias's lawn...………..both actually

exactly!!!  wonder how many right leaning voters bought chev, ford, dodge, toyota vehicles NOT made in a car plant with UNIFOR representation. dias insulted and threw shit at over a third of the population with his rabid hatred of scheer. one thing to be a ndp, lib, tory hack, but to get like was? fuck em! i for one will never buy a vehicle with unifor involved again.  and big fucking deal about the job loss in oshawa. no poly in the libs gives a rats ass about oil patch, lumber jobs out here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Son just called me. He had the interview with the owner at 4. He got hired. Starts on the 30th.  He has the list of classes and everything else he needs.  He has to go to the college and get registered for the classes.

Happy dad :bc:

Very cool Jay. One of the biggest steps toward retirement is making sure the kids, and subsequently the grand kids, are gainfully employed with the right skills to stay employed. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Very cool Jay. One of the biggest steps toward retirement is making sure the kids, and subsequently the grand kids, are gainfully employed with the right skills to stay employed. 

Thanks Tom. :bc: I'm beyond excited about this to say the least. I told him this is a golden opportunity for him and he is now in control of his future and he is very lucky. I don't think he realizes yet how huge this is for him. He's starting him out at $14 and is paying for all if his schooling and tools. 

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

It's what we do as dad's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Thanks Tom. :bc: I'm beyond excited about this to say the least. I told him this is a golden opportunity for him and he is now in control of his future and he is very lucky. I don't think he realizes yet how huge this is for him. He's starting him out at $14 and is paying for all if his schooling and tools. 

I think that's great Jay, but you are basically letting this co control your kids future.

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I think that's great Jay, but you are basically letting this co control your kids future.

After he gets his license/certifications , or whatever they call it in HVAC (I don't know if they do a journeyman card or what :dunno:) anything is possible. He wouldn't just be at the mercy of the company who is hiring him. 

What I meant by him being in control of his future is if he decides to go thru with this. He may not like it 

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Son just called me. He had the interview with the owner at 4. He got hired. Starts on the 30th.  He has the list of classes and everything else he needs.  He has to go to the college and get registered for the classes.

I have a feeling he’ll do just fine. Good for him. 
:bc:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

well if companies were actually forced to fund their pension fully these issues would not matter but they kicked the can down the road.  

Actually they do.  Unions ask for more that what is possible.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

After he gets his license/certifications , or whatever they call it in HVAC (I don't know if they do a journeyman card or what :dunno:) anything is possible. He wouldn't just be at the mercy of the company who is hiring him. 

What I meant by him being in control of his future is if he decides to go thru with this. He may not like it 

Union will just hold him back.:bc:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

cool, very cool.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Use them, then lose them.:bc:

Fyi, I don't need a union to hold me back.

The union doesn’t hold me back. Well over scale that I negotiated with my employer. Vacation days and Holidays I negotiated with my employer. My boss gives me bonuses that he isn’t obligated to do and isn’t even mentioned in the contract.I work for my employer,not the union I’m in. 

• Like 1