Check your account email address ×

GM workers angry, some in tears, as the final vehicles roll off the line in Oshawa

irv

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

In Michigan they just picket, here they show up with this enormous rat (and picket) on jobs that non union workers are working. Ive seen it a few times around here.

That thing sat outside the Culver’s they built here in town. Kids were taking selfies with it. :lol: 

• Haha 1

My neighbor was the athletic director at Fremd HS. Spends like 2 mil with the union boys to put in the new turf field. Had a little money left (less that 40k) so he hires some non union contractors to fix up the parking lot. The next day the union boys are back with their 30 foot tall rat and picket lines. :lol: 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

We will both be younger than our parents and our parents parents when we retire. 

I wish I was like some guys that I work with who are younger than me who hired in at 17 or 18 right out of high school. But unfortunately, I wasn't.  

My son is interviewing with a  HVAC company today about an apprenticeship. I hope hegets it. He had an interview with a shop the other day for CNC programming, but I'd rather see him get into heating and cooling.  He'd be much better off in that. I told him in 4-5 years at 23-24 he could be well on his way to making a better life for himself than I had if he gets into HVAC. 

I'll find out soon.  🤞🏼

hvac guys can make good bank . 

the ones who go out on there own can make real real good bank . 

1 hour ago, bussman said:

That thing sat outside the Culver’s they built here in town. Kids were taking selfies with it. :lol: 

Where's the one of Drew eating a triple butter burger in front of it ? :lmao:

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

Oh yea I told him, you can make some good money and cash on the side once you get your license/certification. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

A bud of mine is a heating guy. Worked for himself for about 12 yrs. Was getting sick of chasing money and chasing work. 

Called me one day and said one of his customers had offered him a job , wanted to know what I thought. 

I asked what the offer was .

Company truck , full bennies 

$100,000 k a yr , + 25 % of profits from the heating division and 10 % commission on anything he sold. 

Told him " why are you talking to me. hang up and call that dude back and tell him yes.

That being said he did say he is working harder then he has in a long time and harder then he would prefer at this stage in his life. But he does get off every Friday during sled season.

40 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

There are blow up Scabby the Rat's across the country.

Interesting. I’ve never seen one until I moved here. 

15 hours ago, Woodtick said:

I’m a union pipe fitter.

and I am sure you have never done side work 😜

funny all the union  guys I know who call me for sidework. 

I don't think most of the trade guys give 2 shits about the scab thing . at least the ones I hang with in MN 

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I don't think most of the trade guys give 2 shits about the scab thing . at least the ones I hang with in MN 

Many of the guys I use are union.  They’ll call in sick to do some of my jobs for me.  Cash is still viable.

6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Unless they are the ones being scabbed on.:lol:

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Many of the guys I use are union.  They’ll call in sick to do some of my jobs for me.  Cash is still viable.

Yah, but the idea is for them to be able to earn a great living without the union.  Some can't grasp that.

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

I had this conversation with the contractor who installed my furnace a couple of years ago.  He said the hay days was when they were an authorized Sears @home repair center.  Now they are just doing OK.

8 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I had this conversation with the contractor who installed my furnace a couple of years ago.  He said the hay days was when they were an authorized Sears @home repair center.  Now they are just doing OK.

I don't know it is 1 trade that almost no homeowners can do them self . no home owners can just go pick up the gasses at menerds .

my guys I use are rolling f350 platnums have cabins etc doing just fine . 

14 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I don't know it is 1 trade that almost no homeowners can do them self . no home owners can just go pick up the gasses at menerds .

my guys I use are rolling f350 platnums have cabins etc doing just fine . 

12 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

yeah I had 3 union plumbers on site today all pulling 100hr side cash. 

These guys weren't doing side jobs.  They smoked every union trade regardless of contract.

9 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I haven’t done side work in 10 plus years ,other than friends and family stuff that I can’t say no to. I work on average 2000 hours a year. I work at least 6 days a week when it’s crazy hot or sub zero. That’s when all of the awesome side work phone calls come in? :wackit: The big problem with side work is nobody wants to pay cash. The other problem is the free financing and 10 year parts and labor some of these MFGs offer. You can’t complete with that. 

11 hours ago, bussman said:

They had to buy a bunch of blow up rats for all of the bono beefs that were going up. 

10 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I have been out of the residential market for years. It’s so fucking cut throat it isn’t funny. 99.9% are non union in this area. You have the big boys buying equipment from the manufacture by the rail car and offering 0% for 2 years. Plus free labor for five and free parts for 10 if it breaks down. So I ask for 5k cash to change out a average system and can only give a 1 year warranty and can’t finance them. It’s a great deal for both of us. The problem is they don’t have the cash. Nobody likes to get 1099 at the end of the year?

11 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I have been out of the residential market for years. It’s so fucking cut throat it isn’t funny. 99.9% are non union in this area. You have the big boys buying equipment from the manufacture by the rail car and offering 0% for 2 years. Plus free labor for five and free parts for 10 if it breaks down. So I ask for 5k cash to change out a average system and can only give a 1 year warranty and can’t finance them. It’s a great deal for both of us. The problem is they don’t have the cash. Nobody likes to get 1099 at the end of the year?

The fine print.:bc:

34 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I haven’t done side work in 10 plus years ,other than friends and family stuff that I can’t say no to. I work on average 2000 hours a year. I work at least 6 days a week when it’s crazy hot or sub zero. That’s when all of the awesome side work phone calls come in? :wackit: The big problem with side work is nobody wants to pay cash. The other problem is the free financing and 10 year parts and labor some of these MFGs offer. You can’t complete with that. 

Yep. Our last furnace/AC (Daikin) we got in 2016 came with a 12 yr warranty. I kinda sorta know a guy (friend of a friend) who has his own business and even though he was  cheaper, he couldn't come close to offering that warranty. The name of the furnaces he sells/installs escapes me right now but the reviews on them were less than stellar as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The fine print.:bc:

You don’t have time to do side work when the economy is good. Guys that do a bunch of it are either going through a divorce, have a young family, or suck and nobody will give them a 40 hour week.  There is also the possibility of getting the shit sued out of you. Side jobbers don’t have insurance. I’m at a point in my life financially,that it isn’t worth the risk!:bc:

16 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

You don’t have time to do side work when the economy is good. Guys that do a bunch of it are either going through a divorce, have a young family, or suck and nobody will give them a 40 hour week.  There is also the possibility of getting the shit sued out of you. Side jobbers don’t have insurance. I’m at a point in my life financially,that it isn’t worth the risk!:bc:

I started out helping out other programmers that got in over their heads.  Can't get into any plant today without insurance, nevermind crossing the border :lol:

I was fine until I realized the owner I was working for was a douchebag accountant nobody had any respect for.  Good to see him go under :bc:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I started out helping out other programmers that got in over their heads.  Can't get into any plant today without insurance, nevermind crossing the border :lol:

I was fine until I realized the owner I was working for was a douchebag accountant nobody had any respect for.  Good to see him go under :bc:

Ive been in Golden Grain for two weeks. Do you want me to trash anything so you can come back and I can buy you tacos? :lol:

9 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Ive been in Golden Grain for two weeks. Do you want me to trash anything so you can come back and I can buy you tacos? :lol:

The lines we did got pulled although they are making the same product today.  Ahead of there time, 20 years.  Lol.