Check your account email address ×

Baseball Fans...New MLB Pitching Rule For Next Season

16 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Like but MLB has other issues.

This. The game, like others, have changed so much over the years it is getting ridiculous! Some new rookie comes in who is full of nerves/emotion and can't hit the broad side of a barn door but he has to stay in there for a minimum of 3 batters?? His confidence, from the embarrassment, if he can't get it done, will plummet.

I know they are trying to speed up the game, which, I guess isn't a bad thing, especially when they purposely bring in a specific pitcher just to face one particular batter, then having to wait for the next one to come in, but that's how you win games, through thought process and strategy.

I don't like it but we'll see how it works out?

• Platinum Contributing Member

Recent WS champion caught cheating, Salaries that are out of control and a plan to cut a huge number of minor league teams is not good IMHO.  

The minor league team cut I might dislike the most.   

Edited by Highmark

3 minutes ago, irv said:

This. The game, like others, have changed so much over the years it is getting ridiculous! Some new rookie comes in who is full of nerves/emotion and can't hit the broad side of a barn door but he has to stay in there for a minimum of 3 batters?? His confidence, from the embarrassment, if he can't get it done, will plummet.

I know they are trying to speed up the game, which, I guess isn't a bad thing, especially when they purposely bring in a specific pitcher just to face one particular batter, then having to wait for the next one to come in, but that's how you win games, through thought process and strategy.

People are left in until 3 walks all the time now.   The game has gotten too cumbersome to watch on TV.   When I'm at a game I could care less how often they change pitchers as its so much more about the experience than the game.   Different story on TV.  If a rookie's career is ruined by walking 3 he doesn't deserve to be there in the first place.

10 minutes ago, irv said:

Yup

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

People are left in until 3 walks all the time now.   The game has gotten too cumbersome to watch on TV.   When I'm at a game I could care less how often they change pitchers as its so much more about the experience than the game.   Different story on TV.  If a rookie's career is ruined by walking 3 he doesn't deserve to be there in the first place.

yup
I like going to the games, hard to watch on TV. 

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I disagree. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I don't like it and Managers will find a way around it....have a pitcher fake an injury...easy peasy.

Good point, which, of course will just delay the game further.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I don't like it and Managers will find a way around it....have a pitcher fake an injury...easy peasy.

I don't like it either. Pitchers are changed based on who is up to bat.  It's all part of strategy of the game.  

If a pitcher must face 3 batters before being pulled , then there should be no pinch hitters allowed when a new pitcher is brought into the game.

• Like 1

Any team sport offense is important to fan enjoyment.   With analytics, specialty pitchers and the use of the shift a little push to help the offense is welcome in my book. 

42 minutes ago, irv said:

I disagree. 

Good point, which, of course will just delay the game further.

38 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I don't like it either. Pitchers are changed based on who is up to bat.  It's all part of strategy of the game.  

If a pitcher must face 3 batters before being pulled , then there should be no pinch hitters allowed when a new pitcher is brought into the game.

I was listening to Tom Verducci on the Dan Patrick show and he absolutely hates the rule and rightly pointed out that the bigger issue regarding the time of games is the amount of time pitchers take between pitches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cant say like or dislike until it plays out. 

It does take a chess piece away from a manager, BUT it adds a new piece. You may find a manager bringing in his best reliever (probably his closer) in the 7th to get through the heart of the order with men on. If that plays out, it "may" lower the salaries of "closers". 

May speed the game up, but also may make it more interesting. We"ll see.

43 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I was listening to Tom Verducci on the Dan Patrick show and he absolutely hates the rule and rightly pointed out that the bigger issue regarding the time of games is the amount of time pitchers take between pitches. 

Yep, after an out you can take a piss , make a Sammy and come back and dude hasn't thrown first pitch to next better yet.

The batter should be able to yell at the pitcher and tell him to fkn hurry up, tripping and clothes lining a runner should be allowed and the 1st row of spectators should have water cannons to let the home plate ump have it on bad calls. It's supposed to be a fun game lol

Edited by smokin george
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

That’s a good point. An opposing manager could have an advantage with some pinch hitters (righty - lefty) knowing the other pitcher could not leave the game.

Edited by Edmo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Baseball sucks.  This doesn't make it any better. Maybe if they are ripping bong hits before they go up to the plate it will be more entertaining. 

Anything beats . I watched the first hour and a half and nothing happened

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

That’s a good point. An opposing manager could have an advantage with some pinch hitters (righty - lefty) knowing the other pitcher could not leave the game.

Yep.  IMO, you can't have one without the other