Check your account email address ×

Think it's totaled?

4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Those aren’t explorers you retarded mother fuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!’

:lol:

For junkyard parts, you are correct. Front facia parts are different than civilian Explorers and most Police models are front impacts in junkyards.

1 minute ago, washedupmxer said:

They have to. Insurance cos don't own your car.

Yeah, unless they ship that bitch out before you can track it down.  I’m not sure how true this statement is anymore anyway.  States vary I believe.

Meh....the payoff was generous IMO so...

Just now, Zambroski said:

Yeah, unless they shit that bitch out before you can track it down.  

Meh....the payoff was generous IMO so...

It's certainly about numbers but you can't be forced to surrender your salvage as long as you own it and have the money to retain it

Just now, washedupmxer said:

It's certainly about numbers but you can't be forced to surrender your salvage as long as you own it and have the money to retain it

I’d agree.  That wouldn’t make sense.  That’s why I think they sell you pretty good with a payoff.  I was floored.  No argument from me.

4 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

They have to. Insurance cos don't own your car.

I wish more people understood that. It is your car not the insurance companies. 

2 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

For junkyard parts, you are correct. Front facia parts are different than civilian Explorers and most Police models are front impacts in junkyards.

Just making joke.  Another member got really mad because I brought up another model vehicle when talking about damage. 

2 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

The last part is utmost importance.

But it's not like it used to be that's for sure.

We have a UVIP (used vehicle info pkg) up here and they need to be made available to the buyer from the seller. Many autos before, that were written off, were making it back on the road and many of those were proven to not be safe/road worthy. I am sure it still goes on but it would be at a far lesser degree than what it was before. 

12 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

Can't do that! Used parts are unsafe and will kill you. 

in most cases i'd rather have oem used parts than a cheap aftermarket.  I had zero issues with all the used OEM fenders and hood that went into the silverado after i crashed it. I've been searching for a fender and bumper cover for the boys Sportage in the right color since both need paint,  then i can replace with hopefully just a polish.  the other fender the PDR guy can do as the paints still good.  i've given up on doing anything on the doors where the old lady ran something down it and hit her carport on the other side.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I wish more people understood that. It is your car not the insurance companies. 

Just making joke.  Another member got really mad because I brought up another model vehicle when talking about damage. 

😂

Off topic somewhat but in Michigan what is the difference between a rebuilt title and a salvage title? I’ve read that the rebuilt inspections are not thorough at all.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

had to be more damage than just an airbag going.  Insurance company will put a new one in,  rebuilder will spend $180 on one from fleabay

Yes, front end had minimal damage as far as I could see, the ditch banged up the front some, bumper mostly and a little wrinkle on 1 fender.

Guy who owns the bar here was a GM service manager a couple years back, he told Ken it was common for the Insurance companies to junk once the airbags go off because the whole dash needs to come apart, suppose he meant both airgags but not sure, I was just listening to them talk while I was having lunch. I could ask Jack (bar owner) if you want.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Off topic somewhat but in Michigan what is the difference between a rebuilt title and a salvage title? I’ve read that the rebuilt inspections are not thorough at all.

A Vehicle with a rebuilt title can be plated.  A salvage title vehicle can not. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

in most cases i'd rather have oem used parts than a cheap aftermarket.  I had zero issues with all the used OEM fenders and hood that went into the silverado after i crashed it. I've been searching for a fender and bumper cover for the boys Sportage in the right color since both need paint,  then i can replace with hopefully just a polish.  the other fender the PDR guy can do as the paints still good.  i've given up on doing anything on the doors where the old lady ran something down it and hit her carport on the other side.  

It depends but I was making a joke because the repair industry is pushing a narrative used parts will kill you. 

Getting almost as bad as climate change scare tactics

8 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

Rebuilt and salvage is the same thing different words and both are salvage.

Scrap title cannot be rebuilt

I have three vehicles right now. 
it is is salvage until it is retitled 

Rebuilt/ salvage. 
A salvage vehicle can not be plated. 

4 hours ago, irv said:

A friend of mine does the auction/rebuild thing and makes good money at it. Many new cars that get damaged off the line/while in transport are quickly discarded from all the big manu's so he purchases them at auction and rebuilds them. The damage is minimal, imo, but I guess some of the big manu's don't have the time to deal with them? I've seen practically new vehicles (low mileage) with cosmetic damage, (dented fenders, grills, headlights,etc) be purchased for practically peanuts then resold after he fixes them up.

He makes good money at it but he has a ton of connections and has the skill/knowledge to rebuild them. 

so those oem wright off cars  have never had a tilte issued? if that is the case do they have salvage title when he registers them ? I assume the big oem are self insured so can't see them getting flaged from tbere . 

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Assuming it works the same as Ontario, a salvage title would be a vehicle that has been damaged and branded unfit to return to the road without under going structural and mechanical inspections. A Rebuilt title would be the same vehicle that has passed the structural and mechanical inspections.

I own several Rebuilt titled vehicles.

This was my Dodge I bought, branded salvage.

IMG_20150312_134721(1).thumb.jpg.d88f8f3eb881d160d61d5936dce8a46d.jpg

This was after $12000 in body work and a structural and mechanical safety. Here, there are only a handful of shop qualified to perform the structural safety. You take him the vehicle and all your paperwork and photos showing what work you have done and where the parts all came from. He puts it on a special rack to perform measurements of frame and what not. If your all in spec and the workmanship is good, he sends off his approval and you go to the license office and get your new Rebuilt title.

IMG_20151110_110947.thumb.jpg.f638e1a682204233616cab1c95de86ab.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1