Check your account email address ×

Static clutch balancing.

• Platinum Contributing Member

So instead of spending $75.00 per clutch (not including shipping both ways) I've decided to try and do some static balancing on my own. 

Going good so far.   Real trick is making sure you get the centers true enough and set to make sure runout is as minimal as possible.   Getting it down to .001" or less isn't easy when trying to size the mandrel for a variety of primary and secondary sizes.  Fun little experiment.   The T-Cat clutch on the stand I got down pretty good.   How balanced you can get them also comes down to the amount of friction in the balancer stand.  To test I ground some magnets down to a 1 gram to place on the head of the clutch cover bolts.    20191025_130339.thumb.jpg.4e16990a724932bce7a65218067680f0.jpg

First pass I had the centers tapped thru but i was still getting too much slop in the threads.   Now those are bored to about a .0005" fit on a shaft with the ends threaded to tighten them in and center themselves.   Faced off nuts to true them up as well.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Anler said:

I have never balanced a clutch in my life. Has impacted my life zero. 

X2.  But racers do all the time.  My uncle has all kinds of tricks he does to clutches and drivetrains.

On 10/26/2019 at 7:55 AM, DriftBusta said:

X2.  But racers do all the time.  My uncle has all kinds of tricks he does to clutches and drivetrains.

On 10/26/2019 at 7:57 AM, Zambroski said:

Nice work HM!

Poor Anler Kit. :lol:

I forgot about racers like Zammy. 

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

I forgot about racers like Zammy. 

How’s your clutch kit coming along?  Did your guy get it installed yet?  Not even sure why you bought it, your boyfriend said clutching doesn’t matter.

You don’t listen to him?

20 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

How’s your clutch kit coming along?  Did your guy get it installed yet?  Not even sure why you bought it, your boyfriend said clutching doesn’t matter.

You don’t listen to him?

Yes I have the new components installed! But I am working on another project right now so I havent put it back on my sled yet. Its gonna kill 850's now... 

Edited by Anler

15 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I've had a few clutches balanced. One for a race sled and 2 for trail sleds. Then again some people actually like all that vibration between their legs  :news:

Thats not the clutch you fucking moron... :lol: 

21 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

You don’t listen to him?

Funny thing about Ben I was just watching this video. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Out of balance clutch doesn't cause vibrations? 

It only spins at about 20 RPM anyway so.....and an out of balance clutch is good for belt life and top end performance.  

“Clutching on a sled is stupid and doesn’t matter.  JuZT rYde iT!!!  Derp!!!!!”

Meh...

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

It only spins at about 20 RPM anyway so.....and an out of balance clutch is good for belt life and top end performance.  

“Clutching on a sled is stupid and doesn’t matter.  JuZT rYde iT!!!  Derp!!!!!”

Meh...

Just hit the gas until the harmonic frequency is more to your liking  lol