Check your account email address ×

Mustang Guys

1970 was the last year of anything great. 

Joel Rosen of Motion Performance tried to push it until the government stepped in and shut him down.

In 1974, an article about Rosen’s 454 Super Vega entitled “King Kong Lives on Long Island” was seen by the EPA and alarms went off, forever changing Rosen’s business. Rosen was given a cease and desist order to stop building new cars with engines and transmissions not available from the factory. Specifically, he would be fined $10,000 per emission device removed in the build of each car. For every V-8 Vega he built, that fine would be $50,000. 

Rosen eventually settled with the government in 1975, paying a $500 fine and agreeing to the EPA edict. This did not put Motion out of business, but severely limited what Rosen could do. He continued to sell ultra-high-performance Chevrolets, but all were special-ordered and labeled “For Export” or “For Off-Road Use Only.”

40 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

fox bodies blow SBYL  I'd take a supra or 300zx turbo over one any day.  Fucking Miata was a better sports car :snack:  

33 minutes ago, f7ben said:

X10000

I paid $14,900 for it. ZXs were close to $30K. Having just moved into our new house, we didn't want to spread ourselves thin.

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

I paid $14,900 for it. ZXs were close to $30K. Having just moved into our new house, we didn't want to spread ourselves thin.

Paid 12k CAD for mine brand new.  The Ferrari was a bit more.

19 minutes ago, Snake said:

Could have laid out that $30k on a used Lamborghini Miura in the mid-80's and made some real money!  

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Mine. My first car. Still have it.

87 GT

IMG_20190211_194727.jpg

Nice....wow u still have and running? I also had an 87 GT....no pics handy but it was white with the silver bottom and blue stripe. Fun car and quite reliable! ....I do remember having the driver side door hinge sagging and being a pain to shut properly, never bothered to fix it.

8 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Nice....wow u still have and running? I also had an 87 GT....no pics handy but it was white with the silver bottom and blue stripe. Fun car and quite reliable! ....I do remember having the driver side door hinge sagging and being a pain to shut properly, never bothered to fix it.

Yes it's on the road year round. Only averaging 500km or so a summer.

Guys are after me all the time to buy.

17 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Yes it's on the road year round. Only averaging 500km or so a summer.

Guys are after me all the time to buy.

There is a nice looking at 70mph from 150 feet away looking 5.0 on a farm site back home.  It has been sitting in the yard next to the highway so long, it has sank up to the rockers & frame.

11 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

There were a few yrs in that era where the mercury capri shared the stang body.

I was thinking someone threw some badge on another vehicle at first, and judging by the overall appearance of the property, I wasn't in a big hurry to go walk around and check.  

5 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Mine. My first car. Still have it.

87 GT

IMG_20190211_194727.jpg

I had an 85 GT, 4BBL 5 speed with the optional rear gear.  That was a little rocket in the day.   Loved that car.....traded on a new 87 Bronco II......what a let down, but it worked just fine for a few years. 

8 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

What is the story on this Mustang police (maybe?) car?  

IMG_20191006_110633.jpg

they built them from 74 to 78, Mustang Ghias, Cobras and Mach I too.  It actually out sold all other Mustang types back in the day and saved the Mustang from dying off during the "energy crisis" day.  Wasn't much of a performer, but with the 5.0 liter it was OK because it was a fairly light weight car. 

9 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

There is a nice looking at 70mph from 150 feet away looking 5.0 on a farm site back home.  It has been sitting in the yard next to the highway so long, it has sank up to the rockers & frame.

Most of the 5.0s are beat to death. Unibody is broken, full of Bondo. Very hard to find a solid car.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Those cars will always be linked to Charlie's Angels for me.

image.png.42c861fa182261186a59f14b390d3ea9.png

Seen a King Cobra drive through the neighborhood a couple weeks ago. Almost bought one when I was 19.

image.png.832399b4bedbdf77a48b313af5608cf2.png

Edited by Blackstar

10 hours ago, Poncho said:

I had an 85 GT, 4BBL 5 speed with the optional rear gear.  That was a little rocket in the day.   Loved that car.....traded on a new 87 Bronco II......what a let down, but it worked just fine for a few years. 

I had an 85 automatic, my first new car. I think it was 12.5 out the door with the A plan. And the interest on the loan was like 14%. :lol: 

14 hours ago, Pete said:

1970 was the last year of anything great. 

Joel Rosen of Motion Performance tried to push it until the government stepped in and shut him down.

In 1974, an article about Rosen’s 454 Super Vega entitled “King Kong Lives on Long Island” was seen by the EPA and alarms went off, forever changing Rosen’s business. Rosen was given a cease and desist order to stop building new cars with engines and transmissions not available from the factory. Specifically, he would be fined $10,000 per emission device removed in the build of each car. For every V-8 Vega he built, that fine would be $50,000. 

Rosen eventually settled with the government in 1975, paying a $500 fine and agreeing to the EPA edict. This did not put Motion out of business, but severely limited what Rosen could do. He continued to sell ultra-high-performance Chevrolets, but all were special-ordered and labeled “For Export” or “For Off-Road Use Only.”

There were still LOTS of awesome cars built in 1971. And even thru 1973.  After '73 was pretty lame for many years. 

10 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

There were a few yrs in that era where the mercury capri shared the stang body.

1979-1986 but they were only available in a hatchback from the factory.  ASC made Capri convertibles and a limited number of coupes. 

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Those cars will always be linked to Charlie's Angels for me.

image.png.42c861fa182261186a59f14b390d3ea9.png

Seen a King Cobra drive through the neighborhood a couple weeks ago. Almost bought one when I was 19.

image.png.832399b4bedbdf77a48b313af5608cf2.png

Buddy of mine had a '76  in highschool identical to this one, minus the wheels . 

CC-35-107-800.jpg.17ee9072a7e87babd599c20ab39aa7ff.jpg

Was in great shape, but slow as fuck. 

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS