Check your account email address ×

40% of retirees draw social security from outside United States

spin_dry

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i've had the discussion with my parents,  i'd like to think i'd follow their wishes and help them.  

It's actually too bad old Kevorkian's practice didn't get more traction.  People need a dignified way to die.  My mom passed suddenly in October 2017.  My dad was barely making it when mom passed.  I spent every day by my dads side his last 2 months.  About a week before Christmas He looked at me and said, "my time here is done.  I'm ready go go see mom"  He quit eating and drinking and went peacefully on Dec 27th.  It was difficult to watch but I was able to spend hundreds of hours with him going through old picture albums and reading him stories.  

7 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

It's actually too bad old Kevorkian's practice didn't get more traction.  People need a dignified way to die.  My mom passed suddenly in October 2017.  My dad was barely making it when mom passed.  I spent every day by my dads side his last 2 months.  About a week before Christmas He looked at me and said, "my time here is done.  I'm ready go go see mom"  He quit eating and drinking and went peacefully on Dec 27th.  It was difficult to watch but I was able to spend hundreds of hours with him going through old picture albums and reading him stories.  

Good for you Tom for getting to spend that time with him. My dad was a mess after mom died and also didn’t last long. It has to be really hard to go on after spending 50 plus years with someone at your side.

Derp....2 million in cash and SS isnt going to be a comfortable retirement derp derp unless you live like a pauper derp.

How would you have a 25k per year travel budget on that kind of money derp

Edited by f7ben

49 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Derp....2 million in cash and SS isnt going to be a comfortable retirement derp derp unless you live like a pauper derp.

How would you have a 25k per year travel budget on that kind of money derp

Well the goal of retirement is to not have to adjust your style of living or quality of life you are accustomed to so it’s different for everyone 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

You know you had a good financial plan if you die in bed with a beautiful woman and the check to the funeral home bounces.   :lol: 

I believe Warren buffet once said" in the perfect world the last check you ever write bounces"

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Well the goal of retirement is to not have to adjust your style of living or quality of life you are accustomed to so it’s different for everyone 

Exactly....and if you have a travel budget of 25k or anywhere close you're fucking rich. 

27 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Yeah, but it may be a lofty, if not silly goal, IMO.  Your “style of living” is going to change anyway.  It’s a natural, maybe forced change when you no longer have a reason to get up 4-5 days a week and income is cut.

Meh, easy for me to say I guess.  We’ve done enough travel and I never liked it anyway so, IDGAF about traveling.  In fact, I can’t stand to travel.  So, we live pretty cheap without that cost burden.  People that say they want to travel the world when they retire are as weird to me as people that say they want to move to Montana (other) when they retire.  Why wait?  Most do neither anyway as they save every penny for their “wait to die” years.  Ewww.

Pensions should work out to about $9,500-$10,000 per month. Social security when the time comes and 2 401ks.

I have no plans for retirement other than take each day as it comes. Maby travel, maby not.

I'd bet not 15% of American's have $8000 a month income to spend during retirement.   Personally I think that is an incredible amount and if you can't have a fucking amazing retirement on that then somethings wrong.  

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'd bet not 15% of American's have $8000 a month income to spend during retirement.   Personally I think that is an incredible amount and if you can't have a fucking amazing retirement on that then somethings wrong.  

Sure, but can you live large on 4K/month?:lol:

15 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Sure, but can you live large on 4K/month?:lol:

I'm sure some people would love to live on $4K a month during retirement.   Completely depends on your lifestyle and costs.   If your home, cars are all paid for I would think with Medicare one could live a very comfortable life.   Sure you might not travel 3 months of the year but not everyone wants to.   Lots of people just want to stay around their kids/grandkids.  

Edited by Highmark

50 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, but it may be a lofty, if not silly goal, IMO.  Your “style of living” is going to change anyway.  It’s a natural, maybe forced change when you no longer have a reason to get up 4-5 days a week and income is cut.

Meh, easy for me to say I guess.  We’ve done enough travel and I never liked it anyway so, IDGAF about traveling.  In fact, I can’t stand to travel.  So, we live pretty cheap without that cost burden.  People that say they want to travel the world when they retire are as weird to me as people that say they want to move to Montana (other) when they retire.  Why wait?  Most do neither anyway as they save every penny for their “wait to die” years.  Ewww.

because they need jobs and the jobs that pay typically aren't in those areas.  I do agree on travelling before retirement if you want to but to do a 2-3 month road trip you need to be retired.  As i said above I'll do my european travel before retirement.

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

because they need jobs and the jobs that pay typically aren't in those areas.  I do agree on travelling before retirement if you want to but to do a 2-3 month road trip you need to be retired.  As i said above I'll do my european travel before retirement.

It’s all relative though.  If you want to move that bad, you make choices and sacrifices.  The higher paying jobs may not be there but, either is the cost of living.  My point is, people talk about moving to their “dream location” their whole lives but there’s always a reason not to do so: job, kids, grandkids....and soon enough, we are too old to enjoy it.  So, a life with unfulfilled dreams....but convenient excuses for it all

My old man drilled his into me from a young age: Do it while you are relatively young.  Excuses and reasons get harder to overcome as you get older....and we sell ourselves on them easier. “Well, I/we never did that because....” or “We can’t do that right now because...”

Its not easy but, a plan can be made.  And one that doesn’t start with, “When I retire....”

45 minutes ago, Snake said:

Pensions should work out to about $9,500-$10,000 per month. Social security when the time comes and 2 401ks.

I have no plans for retirement other than take each day as it comes. Maby travel, maby not.

Thats probably better than 95% of the populations retirement.  :bc: 

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It’s all relative though.  If you want to move that bad, you make choices and sacrifices.  The higher paying jobs may not be there but, either is the cost of living.  My point is, people talk about moving to their “dream location” their whole lives but there’s always a reason not to do so: job, kids, grandkids....and soon enough, we are too old to enjoy it.  So, a life with unfulfilled dreams....but convenient excuses for it all

My old man drilled his into me from a young age: Do it while you are relatively young.  Excuses and reasons get harder to overcome as you get older....and we sell ourselves on them easier. “Well, I/we never did that because....” or “We can’t do that right now because...”

Its not easy but, a plan can be made.  And one that doesn’t start with, “When I retire....”

100% agree.  I had a plan while in college and so far I am living in my dream location and living exactly where I want to retire.  Been doing that since 28, not sure why people talk about their "dream location" and not live there while in their prime. 

Edited by racer254

8 minutes ago, racer254 said:

100% agree.  I had a plan while in college and so far I am living in my dream location and living exactly where I want to retire.  Been doing that since 28, not sure why people talk about their "dream location" and not live there while in their prime. 

Yep. Happy right where I am, and the camp fulfills the other part of the equation. Although will probably downsize the house... no need for 4 bedrooms.

Edited by Snake

11 minutes ago, racer254 said:

family and work commitments.

38 minutes ago, frenchy said:

family and work commitments.

That goes for the vast majority.  But, what people need to ask themselves is, are they reasons or excuses?  Or, is that “dream location” just something to talk about for the fun of it......knowing it’ll never come to fruition?

”When I retire........”

:dunno:

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That goes for the vast majority.  But, what people need to ask themselves is, are they reasons or excuses?  Or, is that “dream location” just something to talk about for the fun of it......knowing it’ll never come to fruition?

”When I retire........”

:dunno:

plenty of people have jobs that aren't transferrable to smaller more remote communities, children who are established in school, sports, peer groups, etc.

It's not as cut and dry as you guys make it out to be.