Check your account email address ×

40% of retirees draw social security from outside United States

spin_dry

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

Derp....2 million in cash and SS isnt going to be a comfortable retirement derp derp unless you live like a pauper derp.

How would you have a 25k per year travel budget on that kind of money derp

Hahahaha. 2 mill, no bills and social security is perfect combination to live comfortably. 

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Hahahaha. 2 mill, no bills and social security is perfect combination to live comfortably. 

Nope...I read it here.

Here how my monthly budget will look in retirement!!!

7k per month travel

3k per month sports car budget 

16k per month dining

25k per month allowance for Aunika 

5k per month plastic surgery for wife

I consider this the bare minimum and firmly middle class derp

Edited by f7ben

Just now, f7ben said:

Nope...I read it here.

7k per month travel

3k per month slots car budget 

16k per month dining

So dramatic. 

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Nope...I read it here.

7k per month travel

3k per month sports car budget 

16k per month dining

:lmao::lol:

13 minutes ago, frenchy said:

plenty of people have jobs that aren't transferrable to smaller more remote communities, children who are established in school, sports, peer groups, etc.

It's not as cut and dry as you guys make it out to be.

Well, nothing is easy but, like I said, it depends if it is something somebody really wants or, just something to talk about.  There’s nothing wrong at all with staying put if that’s what they are happy with doing.

We did a five year plan and stuck to it no matter what.  It didn’t go entirely to plan.  They rarely do but, it can be done.

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

I can transfer to any center in the state.

What a great thing to be able to do.

Right now I make Kate order her Domaine Leroy Richebourg Grande Cru 1949 by the glass. When I retire I'd like to be able to tell them to just bring the whole bottle. Anything is  basically poverty!!!!11

Edited by f7ben

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Right now I make Kate order her Domaine Leroy Richebourg Grande Cru 1949 by the glass. When I retire I'd like to be able to tell them to just bring the whole bottle. Anything is  basically poverty!!!!11

You wont be able to squeeze that out of a $400/month dining out budget. 

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Well, nothing is easy but, like I said, it depends if it is something somebody really wants or, just something to talk about.  There’s nothing wrong at all with staying put if that’s what they are happy with doing.

We did a five year plan and stuck to it no matter what.  It didn’t go entirely to plan.  They rarely do but, it can be done.

What a great thing to be able to do.

well if I want to retire on a lake up north or in the interior of a province with no industry/employment around to speak of how do you do it during your prime earning years? Fuck you just don't listen.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

It’s all relative though.  If you want to move that bad, you make choices and sacrifices.  The higher paying jobs may not be there but, either is the cost of living.  My point is, people talk about moving to their “dream location” their whole lives but there’s always a reason not to do so: job, kids, grandkids....and soon enough, we are too old to enjoy it.  So, a life with unfulfilled dreams....but convenient excuses for it all

My old man drilled his into me from a young age: Do it while you are relatively young.  Excuses and reasons get harder to overcome as you get older....and we sell ourselves on them easier. “Well, I/we never did that because....” or “We can’t do that right now because...”

Its not easy but, a plan can be made.  And one that doesn’t start with, “When I retire....”

That's why we have two places.  There is zero way I can do what I'm doing, a dream career at my dream location.

11 minutes ago, frenchy said:

well if I want to retire on a lake up north or in the interior of a province with no industry/employment around to speak of how do you do it during your prime earning years? Fuck you just don't listen.

No dude, I hear you.  This is the plan that rational, normal and safe people attempt. My point is, it seems it doesn’t get accomplished at the end.  The same reasons you listed above will be some of the same reasons for not doing it at all.  Nothing wrong with that....if you are happy.

I find it interesting you seem hostile about your plan.  Maybe you should too.

Just sayin’.

10 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That's why we have two places.  There is zero way I can do what I'm doing, a dream career at my dream location.

Yeah, my wife’s love of modern conveniences gets on my nerves.  We are in a good place but I could go further north into sparse country and be fine.  But, we’re pretty happy here.  Not gonna lie about that.  We sit pretty close to the edge of civilization and N. MN wilderness.  She gets what she wants and I’m real close.  I’ll build what I want, where I want real soon.   

49 minutes ago, frenchy said:

plenty of people have jobs that aren't transferrable to smaller more remote communities, children who are established in school, sports, peer groups, etc.

It's not as cut and dry as you guys make it out to be.

Umm, kind of sounds like poor planning to me.   I thought about what I was going to do way before any job or children came along. 

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Umm, kind of sounds like poor planning to me.   I thought about what I was going to do way before any job or children came along. 

You know most professional careers you need to gain about a decade of valuable experience before being able to call your own shots.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You know most professional careers you need to gain about a decade of valuable experience before being able to call your own shots.

these guys are just looking to pat themselves on the back for some reason. Kind of weird.

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

what do you do?

Software Engineer.  I have lived in my dream location for most of my life except for the few years during and after college until I saved enough to buy.  Traveled a lot during some years.

14 minutes ago, frenchy said:

these guys are just looking to pat themselves on the back for some reason. Kind of weird.

Not at all, I just happen to believe my priorities haven't changed and what I believe is a dream location has been the same since I was a child.

Just now, racer254 said:

Not at all, I just happen to believe my priorities haven't changed and what I believe is a dream location has been the same since I was a child.

but it changes for a lot of people and can change several times during one's lifetime depending on who they marry, where their work happens to take them and how their career progresses, what their children become interested in, etc, etc. As I said from the start it isn't as cut and dry as some are trying to make it out to be - for most.

2 minutes ago, frenchy said:

but it changes for a lot of people and can change several times during one's lifetime depending on who they marry, where their work happens to take them and how their career progresses, what their children become interested in, etc, etc. As I said from the start it isn't as cut and dry as some are trying to make it out to be - for most.

I guess. 

1 hour ago, frenchy said:

nope, still not listening.... :lol: 

No, I am.  You’re just sacrificing now to have later. Like I said, that’s normal.  Good for you!  I hope when you retire you follow through.....assuming you have your health and find it was all worth it.  See if you can buy a 10 year old corvette convertible!  A red one!!!  Living!!!!  :lmao:

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

He rarely does. 

I always listen.  I just ignore a lot. :lol:

1 hour ago, frenchy said:

A lot of that in this thread, eh?

:news: