Check your account email address ×

40% of retirees draw social security from outside United States

spin_dry

31 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

So how much do you live on now?  Expect to need 75% of that in retirement.

$400 a month eating out is $100 per week.  Thats $50/person/week.  You aren't living large with a $50/person/week eating out budget.

$400 per month for gifts.  That's all giving.  Christmas, Bdays, Graduations, donations, booster clubs, door to door fundraisers, etc.  $4800 per year is not that much giving.  

$400 per month for plane tickets.  One trip to Disney Land with the grandkids and a couple of random flights will eat that budget is a hurry.  

$400 per month for groceries is all groceries and consumables.  From shampoo to toilet paper to paper towels and plates and ziplocks and food.  

I honestly don't even know. I'm married to an accountant and she handles all the bills and banking.  Only thing I know what cost what is my cell phone, truck payment and how much gas I burn. 

23 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

So healthcare, property taxes, property insurance, and utilities are going to run you $1800-2000/month.  

Add up your cell phones, internet, cable tv, auto insurance, gasoline and you have another $500/month.

When you add everything up it takes some money to live no matter if you're retired or not.  

Health care will be minimal (thank you UAW). Only utility bills I have are gas and electric. 

22 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

RV spot rent during winter months  $500/month

rv energy a month  $100/month

rv maintenance a month   $100/month

Rv summer storage fees.  $500/month

Tickets/access to tourist traps while rving $500 a month.

RV gasoline. $200/month

Food $400/month

Eating out $400/month

Gifts $400/month

Gasoline for toys /$200/month

Plane tickets $400/month

Insurance for all possessions $400/month

You can store that RV at my house, save $500, might get a few miles added on going to get milk touring the East Cost of Canada .

30 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I honestly don't even know. I'm married to an accountant and she handles all the bills and banking.  Only thing I know what cost what is my cell phone, truck payment and how much gas I burn. 

Health care will be minimal (thank you UAW). Only utility bills I have are gas and electric. 

What will UAW healthcare cost in retirement?  

No internet, no cable/dish, no security system?

How about HOA?  How about sewer, water, garbage? 

27 minutes ago, s pump said:

You can store that RV at my house, save $500, might get a few miles added on going to get milk touring the East Cost of Canada .

I would need to buy a little nicer motorhome to fit in with your neighborhood............ 

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

So how much do you live on now?  Expect to need 75% of that in retirement.

$400 a month eating out is $100 per week.  Thats $50/person/week.  You aren't living large with a $50/person/week eating out budget.

$400 per month for gifts.  That's all giving.  Christmas, Bdays, Graduations, donations, booster clubs, door to door fundraisers, etc.  $4800 per year is not that much giving.  

$400 per month for plane tickets.  One trip to Disney Land with the grandkids and a couple of random flights will eat that budget is a hurry.  

$400 per month for groceries is all groceries and consumables.  From shampoo to toilet paper to paper towels and plates and ziplocks and food.  

I can guarantee you most people in retirement do not have those monthly expenditures. Christ, my MIL died at 72 and she flew on an airplane for the first time when she was 70 and that was also her last time because lung cancer got her. 

Just now, snoughnut said:

I can guarantee you most people in retirement do not have those monthly expenditures. Christ, my MIL died at 72 and she flew on an airplane for the first time when she was 70 and that was also her last time because lung cancer got her. 

You are probably right.  That is what I budget.  

31 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

You are correct, but most people do not have the funds in retirement to support their lifestyle or never had much of one to begin with.

Both my parents and inlaws were/are misers who spend the min on themselves.  No way we are going to live like that.

2 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

My parents are 73 and 71,  they just got back from 19 days in Europe and I'd bet the trip cost them over 15k.  I know how i'd rather spend my time in retirement and it's not sitting around heavens waiting room doing nothing.   My fathers already looking at a 2+ week south American trip for their next big trip.  All together their travel probably cost them $25k this year,  my old mans very happy to be spending my inheritance and I am glad for him.  I figure you've got a 5-10 year window post retirement where the burn rate if you want to travel is high after that it throttles down as you age and more medical issues arise.  

8 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You are correct, but most people do not have the funds in retirement to support their lifestyle or never had much of one to begin with.

Both my parents and inlaws were/are misers who spend the min on themselves.  No way we are going to live like that.

No shit, why do you think I said it. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

My parents are 73 and 71,  they just got back from 19 days in Europe and I'd bet the trip cost them over 15k.  I know how i'd rather spend my time in retirement and it's not sitting around heavens waiting room doing nothing.   My fathers already looking at a 2+ week south American trip for their next big trip.  All together their travel probably cost them $25k this year,  my old mans very happy to be spending my inheritance and I am glad for him.  I figure you've got a 5-10 year window post retirement where the burn rate if you want to travel is high after that it throttles down as you age and more medical issues arise.  

Good for your parents but personally, I could never justify spending that kind of money for a 2 week experience unless I were a wealthy person.

1508677165_slowclap.gif.dbd3f034a86abfda6ff87d679a46ecc4.gif

1 minute ago, snoughnut said:

Good for your parents but personally, I could never justify spending that kind of money for a 2 week experience unless I were a wealthy person.

I know, but its also likely their own retirement planning that has left them short.

Doesn't matter how many times I can say this, the biggest risk in life is taking no risk at all.

3 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

What he said was: Most people do not have the funds in retirement to support their current unretired lifestyle.  That's exactly what I've been saying all along.  You need 75% of your current income in retirement.  If you don't have that in retirement income you will have to change your lifestyle.  

12 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Some people like to travel and some don't.  I grew up travelling and plan to continue till i can't.   My grandparents used to do the RV thing like Tom.  They would leave FL in April (where they lived in a mobile) and come to New England via some round about route. They hit every state but Hawaii along the way.  I have some of the states to hit but a bunch will prob wait till retirement.  Looking to start doing Europe in the next couple of years as the kids are both planning a semester abroad so we will go over and visit. Then I will have the whole northwest to do by RV

21 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

What he said was: Most people do not have the funds in retirement to support their current unretired lifestyle.  That's exactly what I've been saying all along.  You need 75% of your current income in retirement.  If you don't have that in retirement income you will have to change your lifestyle.  

and no one here who is working is living on $5300/mo

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

No shit, again, ever hear the term downsizing? It has several meanings. :rolleyes: ...............The comment you made stating that people living on 4k or less per month in retirement is poverty was really stupid. You shit on alot of people with that comment. I just looked up this little tidbit.........23% of married retirees count on SS benefits for 90% of their monthly income. 

11 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

and no one here who is working is living on $5300/mo

Maybe a few are but very few married guys here are living on that little income.  

5 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

No shit, again, ever hear the term downsizing? It has several meanings. :rolleyes: ...............The comment you made stating that people living on 4k or less per month in retirement is poverty was really stupid. You shit on alot of people with that comment. I just looked up this little tidbit.........23% of married retirees count on SS benefits for 90% of their monthly income. 

The average retired couple is getting $2500/month from Social Security.  So by your post that means that 23% of retirees are living on $2800/month.  That also means that 77% of all retired couples are living on more than $2800/month.  

A couple living on under $36k per year is considered poverty.  $4k per month is nearly poverty.  

Edited by AKIQPilot

Just now, snoughnut said:

yes those people are poor as fuck living off 1-2k a month.  prob in subsidized housing with subsidized fuel etc.  They did not take personal responsibility for their retirement which is a huge issue in this country.  you would be amazed at the number of people i see in their late 40's-60's with under 100k in their 401k's, no pensions and no other significant savings.  those people even if they somehow started contributing 20k a year for their last 10-15 years of work are going to have a retirement wake up call.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

yes those people are poor as fuck living off 1-2k a month.  prob in subsidized housing with subsidized fuel etc.  They did not take personal responsibility for their retirement which is a huge issue in this country.  you would be amazed at the number of people i see in their late 40's-60's with under 100k in their 401k's, no pensions and no other significant savings.  those people even if they somehow started contributing 20k a year for their last 10-15 years of work are going to have a retirement wake up call.  

Exactly, Poor As Fuck.  That kind of income is well below poverty.  

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Maybe a few are but very few married guys here are living on that little income.  

The average retired couple is getting $2500/month from Social Security.  So by your post that means that 23% of retirees are living on $2800/month.  That also means that 77% of all retired couples are living on more than $2800/month.  

A couple living on under $36k per year is considered poverty.  $4k per month is nearly poverty.  

You already have 23% of couples living on just SS alone. Now, how much of that remaining 77% is living on less than 4k per month? I would bet most. like I said, you shit on alot of people with your comment.

10 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

You already have 23% of couples living on just SS alone. Now, how much of that remaining 77% is living on less than 4k per month? I would bet most. like I said, you shit on alot of people with your comment.

Yep, "most"........and most aren't prepared for retirement as evidenced by having to live on so little.

7 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

So here is the latest data.  As you can see most retirees are living on more than $4k per month.  

What is the Average Retirement Income 2019 (And, Median Retirement Income 2019)?

Reporting on average retirement income can be tricky.  The best income data does not include information about whether someone is officially “retired” or not. Retirement has no official definition — with many “retirees” still working. Retirement is more of a mindset these days.

Another note about the average retirement income numbers seen below, the best data comes from the US Census Bureau. The most recent data available is from 2017 and compiled in 2018. So, the economic changes we have seen over the last year are not necessarily represented in the data below. However, the numbers should be very close to reality for the average household.

Average Retirement Income 2019 by Household Age:

Age of Household Median Income Mean Income
Households Aged 55-59 $73,645 $103,423
Households Aged 60-64 $63,919 $89,882
Households Aged 65-69 $54,124 $79,772
Households Aged 70-74 $46,797 $68,0052
Households Aged 75 and Older: $31,893 $49,614

SOURCE: Data is summarized from the US Census Bureau’s Current Population Survey(CPS) Annual Social and Economic (ASEC) Supplement. The CPS is a joint effort between the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census Bureau.

https://www.newretirement.com/retirement/average-retirement-income/

18 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

So here is the latest data.  As you can see most retirees are living on more than $4k per month.  

What is the Average Retirement Income 2019 (And, Median Retirement Income 2019)?

Reporting on average retirement income can be tricky.  The best income data does not include information about whether someone is officially “retired” or not. Retirement has no official definition — with many “retirees” still working. Retirement is more of a mindset these days.

Another note about the average retirement income numbers seen below, the best data comes from the US Census Bureau. The most recent data available is from 2017 and compiled in 2018. So, the economic changes we have seen over the last year are not necessarily represented in the data below. However, the numbers should be very close to reality for the average household.

Average Retirement Income 2019 by Household Age:

Age of Household Median Income Mean Income
Households Aged 55-59 $73,645 $103,423
Households Aged 60-64 $63,919 $89,882
Households Aged 65-69 $54,124 $79,772
Households Aged 70-74 $46,797 $68,0052
Households Aged 75 and Older: $31,893 $49,614

SOURCE: Data is summarized from the US Census Bureau’s Current Population Survey(CPS) Annual Social and Economic (ASEC) Supplement. The CPS is a joint effort between the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census Bureau.

https://www.newretirement.com/retirement/average-retirement-income/

If you average the age groups above 60 it comes out to around 49k per year. But that's not the point, the point is you stating retiring on less than 4k per month is poverty. According to you, everybody 70 and older is living in poverty :lol:My guess? Retirement poverty income would be $2500 or less per month.

The question is.............Can you admit that households who retire on 3 - 4k per month are not living in poverty? I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

If you average the age groups above 60 it comes out to around 49k per year. But that's not the point, the point is you stating retiring on less than 4k per month is poverty. According to you, everybody 70 and older is living in poverty :lol:My guess? Retirement poverty income would be $2500 or less per month.

The question is.............Can you admit that households who retire on 3 - 4k per month are not living in poverty? I doubt it.

I can admit that for sure, if they're older than 75 years old.  If they are 60-65 then they are living on $5500/month on average.  

Even at 70 years old the average retired couple is living on $4k per month.  

Most people don't save enough to live comfortably in retirement.  They definitely don't have the same lifestyle in retirement as they had while working.